Vanguard balances and holding total is different from cost basis page total

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
student5

Vanguard balances and holding total is different from cost basis page total

Post by student5 »

Hi everyone,

Has anyone had any issues with the market value on the "balances and holding page" to be completely different from the market value on the "cost basis page?" The difference was greater than 120%! (larger market value total displayed on the "cost basis page")

Vanguard fixed the glitch in about a week. All the other totals seemed accurate, but this makes me worry, and I've started keeping paper records as well.

Any comments would be welcome.
ResearchMed

Re: Vanguard balances and holding total is different from cost basis page total

Post by ResearchMed »

student5 wrote:Hi everyone,

Has anyone had any issues with the market value on the "balances and holding page" to be completely different from the market value on the "cost basis page?" The difference was greater than 120%! (larger market value total displayed on the "cost basis page")

Vanguard fixed the glitch in about a week. All the other totals seemed accurate, but this makes me worry, and I've started keeping paper records as well.

Any comments would be welcome.
We've got several positions where the cost basis page is totally messed up.

In one case, a position (Vanguard fund) that really has a value of 5 figure, it shows total cost of $4xx.xx, and current value of $4xx.yy.
Another Vanguard fund has something similar, but in the $700 range.

In another case, a non-Vanguard fund of accurately approx $30+k shows a current value of almost $70k on the cost basis page.
("Okay, Vanguard, we'll take that amount, thanks!")

The reps don't seem to recognize any problem, so we've given up.
It's tax deferred, so the cost basis "stuff" isn't relevant.

However, it would be reassuring if these figures were accurate, and not completely bizarre.

If this had been a taxable account, I'm not sure what we'd have done.
We've relied upon Employer to make Vanguard fix other problems, but they can't/won't help with taxable.

Sigh.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Topic Author
student5

Re: Vanguard balances and holding total is different from cost basis page total

Post by student5 »

I agree with you RM. A big fund company like Vanguard needs to keep its number data pristine, down to the last cent and beyond.