VSS verus SCHC

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
CajunDan

VSS verus SCHC

Post by CajunDan » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:31 am

Currently hold VSS, but concerned about it's exposure to emerging markets, which I'd rather get with a purer play like VWO. Is Schwab SCHC a good alternative for international small value, or does it have some drawbacks which I'm missing?

TropikThunder

Re: VSS verus SCHC

Post by TropikThunder » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:52 am

CajunDan wrote:Currently hold VSS, but concerned about it's exposure to emerging markets, which I'd rather get with a purer play like VWO. Is Schwab SCHC a good alternative for international small value, or does it have some drawbacks which I'm missing?
I think a quality answer depends on how VSS (currently) fits into your overall allocation. True, VSS holds ~19% EM per Vanguard vs ~2% for SCHC. But unless your significantly tilting small cap in your international, it likely won't make that much of a difference. For example, one can approximate total int'l with Vanguard FTSE All-World ex-US ETF (VEU) at 90% and VSS at 10%. If you're at 80/20, with 30% equity in international, then only 2.4% of that is VSS, and the EM portion of VSS is not even 0.5% of your overall portfolio.

Wagnerjb

Post by Wagnerjb » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:01 am

I prefer the WisdomTree ETF DLS to SCHC in the International Small Cap space, despite the fact that SCHC has a significantly lower ER.

Morningstar shows DLS to be smaller than SCHC, with an average company size of 1,131MM vs. 1,645MM. DLS has more value as well. DLS holds 46% of its portfolio in the Small Value and Mid Value style boxes, vs. 32% for SCHC.

Best wishes.
Andy

in_reality

Post by in_reality » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:08 am

CajunDan wrote:Currently hold VSS, but concerned about it's exposure to emerging markets, which I'd rather get with a purer play like VWO. Is Schwab SCHC a good alternative for international small value, or does it have some drawbacks which I'm missing?
SCHC is market cap weighting. FNDC would be a value play.

cookymonster

Post by cookymonster » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:20 am

I prefer SCHC because it's more tax-efficient than VSS. But I tax loss harvest between both of them.

If you hold either VXUS or VEU you're going to have the same issue with mixing EM. Also, VWO is approximately 84% EM per Morningstar. The only way you're going to get it precisely right if you have multiple international holdings is by calculating the amount of EM in each of them.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:58 am

SCHC is not small value. It does have small volume. In terms of shares it is about the same as VSS. I know that VSS is one of the most difficult ETFs for me to make trades on because it sometimes has no transactions for 10 minutes or more. SCHC has one-third to price, so the dollar volume is one-third that of VSS.

Instead of SCHC, I would recommend SCZ. I own neither. I do own both VSS and DGS. For foreign large-cap I own VEU and VEA right now.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Topic Author
CajunDan

Post by CajunDan » Mon Aug 22, 2016 12:25 pm

Wagnerjb wrote:I prefer the WisdomTree ETF DLS to SCHC in the International Small Cap space, despite the fact that SCHC has a significantly lower ER.

Morningstar shows DLS to be smaller than SCHC, with an average company size of 1,131MM vs. 1,645MM. DLS has more value as well. DLS holds 46% of its portfolio in the Small Value and Mid Value style boxes, vs. 32% for SCHC.

Best wishes.
Looks like WisdomTree ETF DLS is the best of these five for an International Small Cap Value ETF: VSS, SCHC, DLS, FNDC & SCZ. Reasons why:

1. Truly small cap, median market cap is $1.1 billion versus $1.5 billion plus for the other four
2. Lowest PE ratio at 12.1 versus 14.4 plus for the other four, a good indicator of value
3. Lower price/book ration at 1.1 versus 1.2 plus for the other four, another good indicator of value

As much as I hate paying a their expense ration of .58% as compared to .16% for SCHC, I think it's worth it in this case.

lemonPepper

Post by lemonPepper » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:58 am

It looks like DLS is no longer commission free at fidelity :(

is there a website where you can check how to buy commission free ETF?

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Sat Nov 18, 2017 3:14 pm

It looks like DLS will still trade commission-free at TDAmeritrade.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.