Fidelity and Barclays

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
student

Fidelity and Barclays

Post by student » Sun Jun 26, 2016 8:58 am

I have a Barclays online savings account. I tried to link it to Fidelity but I was unsuccessful. After entering the info at Fidelity, it said I need to do it by mail. I called Fidelity and the representative said that if it didn't work, it means Barclays rejected it. As a test, I tried to link my Chase checking account and it was done instantly. Below are my experience and observations.

1) When it linked to Chase, there was no sample deposits from Fidelity to verify the account. It linked instantly.

2) I successfully linked my Barclays account to Vanguard online and Vanguard used the sample deposits to verify it.

Below are my questions.

1) Is Fidelity using a different system that does not use sample deposits?

2) Has anybody successfully linked a Barclays savings account to his/her Fidelity account electronically without sending in a paper form?

Thanks.

livesoft

Re: Fidelity and Barclays

Post by livesoft » Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:11 am

My impression is that "savings" accounts are not linkable between different financial institutions. The system is set up for a checking account to be at least one of the two accounts linked.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

criticalmass

Post by criticalmass » Sun Jun 26, 2016 10:47 am

livesoft wrote:My impression is that "savings" accounts are not linkable between different financial institutions. The system is set up for a checking account to be at least one of the two accounts linked.
Bank savings accounts can certainly be used for ACH between institutions. I have multiple savings accounts arranged for my Vanguard account, and one for my Fidelity account. I also receive money via ACH and pay bills via one linked savings account.

Be forewarned that savings accounts may only have 6 ACH or preauthorized debits per monthly statement period.

See regulations D and E for more details.

oldcomputerguy
Location: In the middle of five acres of woods in East Tennessee

Post by oldcomputerguy » Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:02 pm

livesoft wrote:My impression is that "savings" accounts are not linkable between different financial institutions. The system is set up for a checking account to be at least one of the two accounts linked.
I have both my brick-and-mortar bank checking and savings accounts linked both to my Capital One credit card account (for payment) and to my Fidelity account (for transfers in and out).
"I’ve come around to this: If you’re dumb, surround yourself with smart people; and if you’re smart, surround yourself with smart people who disagree with you." (Aaron Sorkin)

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:14 pm

Fidelity has a few banks that their system "recognizes" and will link without ACH test deposits. It's probably a third party system they are using, because I've noticed other sites do the same thing. However, to make this work, you have to successfully pass the challenge/response gauntlet that your bank puts up. It's possible that Barclays has an issue with how they do that, and it's also possible you aren't entering the expected answer at some stage in that process. If you can't pass that, you have to do it by mail.

If you are linking to Mom and Pop's Savings and Loan with one convenient global location in Wyoming, you will get the the test deposit option.

whodidntante

Post by whodidntante » Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:16 pm

I have my Synchrony savings account linked to Fidelity, as well as other banks.

Topic Author
student

Post by student » Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:26 pm

whodidntante wrote:Fidelity has a few banks that their system "recognizes" and will link without ACH test deposits. It's probably a third party system they are using, because I've noticed other sites do the same thing. However, to make this work, you have to successfully pass the challenge/response gauntlet that your bank puts up. It's possible that Barclays has an issue with how they do that, and it's also possible you aren't entering the expected answer at some stage in that process. If you can't pass that, you have to do it by mail.

If you are linking to Mom and Pop's Savings and Loan with one convenient global location in Wyoming, you will get the the test deposit option.
I see. This makes sense. I wish they give me the test deposit option rather than requiring me to send them the form and a bank statement.

Topic Author
student

Post by student » Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:36 pm

I can now confirm that the problem is with Barclays. I just tried linking my American Express Savings account and it worked. Here is a summary.

1) Barclays: Did not work. It said to use regular mail after I have entered the necessary info.

2) Chase: I successfully linked the account after I entered the routing number and account number.

3) American Express: It worked after I entered the routing number and account number, enter the username and password, and a one-time use number.

telemark

Post by telemark » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:58 pm

student wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:36 pm
I can now confirm that the problem is with Barclays. I just tried linking my American Express Savings account and it worked. Here is a summary.

1) Barclays: Did not work. It said to use regular mail after I have entered the necessary info.

2) Chase: I successfully linked the account after I entered the routing number and account number.

3) American Express: It worked after I entered the routing number and account number, enter the username and password, and a one-time use number.
Resurrecting an old thread, I just tried to link my American Express Savings account to Fidelity, and Fidelity asked me to upload a document showing the complete account number and my full name. No problem, I'll just download a statement and use that. Whoops, Amex doesn't show the complete account number on their statements, only the last four digits. How about a 1099-INT? Same problem. Has anyone found a solution for this?

Topic Author
student

Post by student » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:13 pm

telemark wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:58 pm
student wrote:
Sun Jun 26, 2016 12:36 pm

Resurrecting an old thread, I just tried to link my American Express Savings account to Fidelity, and Fidelity asked me to upload a document showing the complete account number and my full name. No problem, I'll just download a statement and use that. Whoops, Amex doesn't show the complete account number on their statements, only the last four digits. How about a 1099-INT? Same problem. Has anyone found a solution for this?
If you click on the account number online at AMEX where it shows the transactions, there is a button that will show the account number, print the page to a pdf file, can you see whether they accept this?

telemark

Post by telemark » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:25 pm

student wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:13 pm
If you click on the account number online at AMEX where it shows the transactions, there is a button that will show the account number, print the page to a pdf file, can you see whether they accept this?
I tried that with Firefox and the printed page came out too garbled to be useful. I'll try again with some other browsers. Maybe they would accept a screen shot?

Topic Author
student

Post by student » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:34 pm

telemark wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:25 pm
student wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:13 pm
I tried that with Firefox and the printed page came out too garbled to be useful. I'll try again with some other browsers. Maybe they would accept a screen shot?
At times, I have issues with firefox. I find chrome or safari (mac) is better when one have to print a page. But I think it is worth trying a screenshot.

telemark

Post by telemark » Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:46 am

student wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:34 pm
At times, I have issues with firefox. I find chrome or safari (mac) is better when one have to print a page. But I think it is worth trying a screenshot.
It turns out you can upload multiple documents, so I uploaded both a screen shot and a statement. Would have added a README explaining the difficulty, but I didn't think of that until later. In any case, they accepted it. There seems to be a seven day waiting period after acceptance before you can actually use it, perhaps to give you time to notice and object if someone other than you is trying to link a bank.

Topic Author
student

Post by student » Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:21 am

telemark wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:46 am
student wrote:
Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:34 pm
It turns out you can upload multiple documents, so I uploaded both a screen shot and a statement. Would have added a README explaining the difficulty, but I didn't think of that until later. In any case, they accepted it. There seems to be a seven day waiting period after acceptance before you can actually use it, perhaps to give you time to notice and object if someone other than you is trying to link a bank.
Good outcome.

UpperNwGuy

Post by UpperNwGuy » Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:57 am

telemark wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:46 am
This is indeed true. Only two weeks ago I went through this exact process to add a second bank account to my Fidelity account.

By the way, don't ever try to add two bank accounts to Vanguard in the same month.....