vot and ivog main differnces

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
looking

vot and ivog main differnces

Post by looking »

Hi all
what is main differences ETF between below--tracking,performance,or cap weighted and cost ,and which is better for investor??

(Ivog) - s&p midcap growth and
(Vot) - vanguard mid cap growth
FillorKill

Re: vot and ivog main differnces

Post by FillorKill »

The median market cap for IVOG (5.2B - tracks S&P 400 growth index) is less than half that of VOT (11.3B). The difference is significant. Look at the style boxes in Morningstar - quite different animals. VBK (3.0B) is closer to IVOG in terms of size.

The ER favors VOT @ .09 while IVOG is .2

VOT is far more liquid - trades 10X more volume per day - gets you a smaller spread.

Current valuation favors IVOG - lower p/e p/b

Turnover favors VOT - about half that of IVOG.

Tracking favors VOT.
Topic Author
looking

Post by looking »

FillorKill »

excellent you have in depth knowledge thank you so much
Topic Author
looking

Post by looking »

FillorKill

in my portfolio i have mix of both ivog and vot after reading yours i need to get lid of it
actually the vanguard independent advisor Dan,weiner recommended im sure you know him
FillorKill

Post by FillorKill »

looking wrote:FillorKill

in my portfolio i have mix of both ivog and vot
That's interesting - I can relate. When I decided to go Vanguard-only several years ago I ultimately decided on a mix of VBR and VIOV for my small value allocation. Much like IVOG/VOT the primary Vanguard offering (CRSP-based index) and the S&P-based index offering were uniquely attractive so a combination seemed appropriate. I've long been a fan of the S&P index products.
Topic Author
looking

Post by looking »

FillorKill

what about--- vg voog s&P 5 00 growth- any comment on this
FillorKill

Post by FillorKill »

looking wrote:FillorKill

what about--- vg voog s&P 5 00 growth- any comment on this
Hmmm. Those who've owned it for the last several years have done well. Large growth has been a strong performer which urges caution if you're considering changing your AA to add or increase this. For all I know large growth could continue to outperform for years to come. I think its relatively expensive but I come from a value orientation so me saying that shouldn't be too surprising. Disregarding my assessment of current valuation as irrelevant; if your plan calls for large growth then VOOG or VUG are reasonable choices. I consider them more similar to one another than IVOG / VOT.

I know this isn't exactly what you asked for but.... VUG has less turnover and a lower yield, so better in a taxable account. They are obvious TLH partners. VUG also trades about 20X the volume of VOOG so VOOG has a wider spread. VOOG has a higher market cap - about 87B v 60B for VUG. Their sector diversification is similar enough. I'd probably slightly favor VUG but the overall differences are minimal.
Topic Author
looking

Post by looking »

FillorKill

i admire your in depth knowledge ,this from as i mentioned previous post- from Dan weiner's portfolios im sure you are familia