Schwab vs Vanguard

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
ogd

Re: Schwab vs Vanguard

Postby ogd » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:23 pm

ps56k wrote:
ogd wrote:Schwab is nice and cheap, but only on Vanguard will you find the Admiral index funds free, which are nicer to use than ETFs.

Was just browsing and reading these threads -

What do you mean -- Admiral index funds free - ?

I meant without trading fees, not counting the ERs which are the same as the ETFs. As far as I know very few VG competitors have VG Admiral shares of any kind, let alone the full stable.

onourway

Postby onourway » Sun Mar 19, 2017 5:07 pm

confusedinvestor wrote:Schwab has lower ER ETFs vs Vanguard

Schwab is today's Vanguard

Vanguard will die soon or may be already in coma

I think you are indeed confused. Costs are important when we are talking 60, 80, or 100bp vs. 5. When it's 5 vs. 3bp, cost becomes fairly irrelevant.

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Postby LadyGeek » Sun Mar 19, 2017 7:12 pm

confusedinvestor wrote:LadyGeek,

Given this wiki is 6 year old and not updated, this will mis-lead new folks like myself. Please help review this ?

http://www.schwab.com/public/schwab/inv ... index_etfs

Schwab ETFs are much cheaper vs Vanguard.

Bogleheads needs to open up beyond Jack Bogle and Vanguard and test latest market leaders ...I have no affiliation with Schwab as I'm a AT&T Enginner, and only understand 0 or 1, not ETFs vs Mutual Funds...

LadyGeek wrote:
The wiki has a list: Investment management company ("See also")

Sure, I took a crack at it: Charles Schwab

Like you, I'm an engineer but work in the analog world. I understand 0.000 and 1.000. :)

Can someone familiar with Schwab give this a good look? Comments / questions / corrections are welcome. Wiki editors should edit the page directly.

===============
To explain further, the content of the wiki depends on the interest and experience of its editors. I don't invest with Schwab, so I don't look at those pages in depth. Upon request, certainly.

Members who want to see updated info regarding the other Investment management companies are welcome to become editors and update those pages yourself. You can become an editor by posting in Join the Wiki!, or see the instructions at the bottom of the wiki home page.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

Sandtrap

Postby Sandtrap » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:56 pm

ogd wrote:
ps56k wrote:
ogd wrote:Schwab is nice and cheap, but only on Vanguard will you find the Admiral index funds free, which are nicer to use than ETFs.

Was just browsing and reading these threads -

What do you mean -- Admiral index funds free - ?

I meant without trading fees, not counting the ERs which are the same as the ETFs. As far as I know very few VG competitors have VG Admiral shares of any kind, let alone the full stable.

+1

ps56k

Postby ps56k » Tue Mar 21, 2017 10:43 am

here's a PDF of the Schwab vs Vanguard vs Fidelity - ER fees comparison chart

https://www.schwabfunds.com/public/file/P-10043741

frankmorris

Postby frankmorris » Sun May 14, 2017 10:32 am

Hi all - new to the forum and looks like this is the most recently relevant thread on this topic. A few questions based on what people have posted:

- Are Vanguard ETFs portable? Meaning, you bought at Schwab but wanted to move to Vanguard, could you move your ETF over? Let's say, for example, that at some point the Admiral shares version becomes highly appealing and you want to move into that. Could you simply port over your Vanguard ETF from CS to Vanguard, then "buy up" or transfer into Admiral?

- On that topic, what are the current advantages of Admiral shares? Many seem to have the same ER as investor shares. Unless that changes, is there any reason to go Admiral?

- Does anyone have any current opinions on how the Schwab funds are tax managed? I do love how the dual fund structure at Vanguard makes capital gains distributions less likely.

student

Postby student » Sun May 14, 2017 10:46 am

frankmorris wrote:Hi all - new to the forum and looks like this is the most recently relevant thread on this topic. A few questions based on what people have posted:

- Are Vanguard ETFs portable? Meaning, you bought at Schwab but wanted to move to Vanguard, could you move your ETF over? Let's say, for example, that at some point the Admiral shares version becomes highly appealing and you want to move into that. Could you simply port over your Vanguard ETF from CS to Vanguard, then "buy up" or transfer into Admiral?

You can move ETF but transferring from ETF to Admiral is a taxable event if you have gains. On the other hand, you can convert Admiral to ETF without triggering it. Please see this for details. https://investor.vanguard.com/etf/faqs?lang=en

frankmorris wrote:- On that topic, what are the current advantages of Admiral shares? Many seem to have the same ER as investor shares. Unless that changes, is there any reason to go Admiral?

The same link above gives useful info.

frankmorris

Postby frankmorris » Sun May 14, 2017 10:55 am

student wrote:
frankmorris wrote:Hi all - new to the forum and looks like this is the most recently relevant thread on this topic. A few questions based on what people have posted:

You can move ETF but transferring from ETF to Admiral is a taxable event if you have gains. On the other hand, you can convert Admiral to ETF without triggering it. Please see this for details. https://investor.vanguard.com/etf/faqs?lang=en

frankmorris wrote:- On that topic, what are the current advantages of Admiral shares? Many seem to have the same ER as investor shares. Unless that changes, is there any reason to go Admiral?

Thanks - I think I was confused and thought Admiral Shares were a different ETF class. Apparently not.

Read through all the FAQs but didn't see any other advantages of Admiral shares than the lower ratios. If they're the same as the ETF ERs, looks like a wash.

frankmorris

Postby frankmorris » Sun May 14, 2017 10:56 am

And another follow-up - if I already own a VG ETF through CS, and I want to buy more shares (or sell some), is that considered a "trade" and trigger a fee, or is it only if I buy a new ETF?

student

Postby student » Sun May 14, 2017 12:20 pm

frankmorris wrote:And another follow-up - if I already own a VG ETF through CS, and I want to buy more shares (or sell some), is that considered a "trade" and trigger a fee, or is it only if I buy a new ETF?

Buying or selling ETF requires a commission. At Charles Schwab, it is $4.95. However, there are a number of ETF that are exempted from this. See http://etfdb.com/type/commission-free/charles-schwab/

student

Postby student » Sun May 14, 2017 12:23 pm

frankmorris wrote:
student wrote:

Thanks - I think I was confused and thought Admiral Shares were a different ETF class. Apparently not.

Read through all the FAQs but didn't see any other advantages of Admiral shares than the lower ratios. If they're the same as the ETF ERs, looks like a wash.

Admiral shares represent a different class of mutual fund. ETF is different. I believe that the expense ratio for ETF is in general the same as the corresponding admiral shares.

mongstradamus

Postby mongstradamus » Sun May 14, 2017 12:39 pm

Main difference that I can tell between VG etfs and admiral shares funds are ETF you can trade during the day when the market is open, Mutual funds you cannot.Also ETF you have buy in dollar amount of whatever the share price is, in other words you can't buy partial shares. Mutual funds are easier in the fact that you can just buy whatever dollar amount you want.

frankmorris

Postby frankmorris » Sun May 14, 2017 1:58 pm

student wrote:
frankmorris wrote:And another follow-up - if I already own a VG ETF through CS, and I want to buy more shares (or sell some), is that considered a "trade" and trigger a fee, or is it only if I buy a new ETF?

Buying or selling ETF requires a commission. At Charles Schwab, it is $4.95. However, there are a number of ETF that are exempted from this. See http://etfdb.com/type/commission-free/charles-schwab/

Right, but does that include buying additional shares of a fund you already own? Guessing so, just confirming.

B'Falls_JT

Postby B'Falls_JT » Sun May 14, 2017 2:37 pm

We invest with both Schwab and Vanguard. In our experience, Schwab provides better and more timely customer service, whereas Vanguard provides a better set of funds / ETFs.

JT

student

Postby student » Sun May 14, 2017 3:59 pm

frankmorris wrote:
student wrote:

Right, but does that include buying additional shares of a fund you already own? Guessing so, just confirming.

Yes. It does.

Malinois000

Postby Malinois000 » Sun May 14, 2017 8:12 pm

I'm a Private Client of Schwab and just opened a Vanguard Roth IRA for my wife. A little early for me to have an opinion but I really do like Schwab. However, I have a large number of individual stocks as i like Dividend investing for my Schwab account.

G-Force

Postby G-Force » Sun May 14, 2017 8:55 pm

Malinois000 wrote:I'm a Private Client of Schwab and just opened a Vanguard Roth IRA for my wife. A little early for me to have an opinion but I really do like Schwab. However, I have a large number of individual stocks as i like Dividend investing for my Schwab account.

What are the requirements to become a Schwab private client? What benefits do you get at this level?

frankmorris

Postby frankmorris » Mon May 15, 2017 8:24 am

Thanks everyone

jnet2000

Postby jnet2000 » Mon May 15, 2017 6:53 pm

Schwab has the best customer service. Used to be a private client. But moved all our assets to Vanguard a number of years ago. We are VPAS clients so I have not had any issues with customer service their. I recommend Schwab to all my family members since they have a b&M offices, low minimums and great funds, but my wife and I plan to stay with Vanguard for the long run. We do keep 10% of our assets at T.Rowe though.
"You really don't need leverage in this world much. If you're smart, you're going to make a lot of money without borrowing" Warren Buffet

Return to “Investing - Help with Personal Investments”