who is buying or selling ??

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
looking

who is buying or selling ??

Post by looking »

just curiosity who's buying or selling ???
mister_sparkle

Re: who is buying or selling ??

Post by mister_sparkle »

I sold bonds yesterday and bought mostly U.S. and some Int'l. Essentially used up some "kindling" on the sidelines.
Twins Fan

Post by Twins Fan »

Well, today is a deferred comp contribution day, so buying stocks and bonds as usual. :happy
Soon2BXProgrammer

Post by Soon2BXProgrammer »

I buy every two weeks, rain or shine.
Earned 43 (and counting) credit hours of financial planning related education from a regionally accredited university, but I am not your advisor.
mattshwink

Post by mattshwink »

Well, my 401k buy is today, my wife's will probably fall on Monday. My IRA is on the 28th. 529 is weekly. So I'm always buying!
mtnlover

Post by mtnlover »

DH received bonus, yesterday I bought stock and bond funds according to our plan. The stock fund was on sale!
Toons

Post by Toons »

I buy Lifestrategy Conservative Growth.
Intermediate Tax Exempt on a regular basis.
Invest you Must :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
john94549

Post by john94549 »

I bought in my trading account (on the dip), then sold on the rip. Made a few.
renue74

Post by renue74 »

I don't know about "market being on sale" now. It's the price of spring 2014.

https://www.google.com/finance?q=INDEXS ... OV2AajjLN4
crit

Post by crit »

I sold and bought (tax loss harvest).

I sold an individual stock that, over the 21 years I had held it, returned something very close to the 500 index. Its long-term gains were somewhat smaller recently, and I've covered them with the TLH, so a good time to sell. The proceeds from that sale are going right back into an index fund, according to our asset allocation.

I'm buying with our automated retirement contributions.

And I'm sleeping as well as usual.
Swampy

Post by Swampy »

I bought some unleaded gas at $1.69/gal.
If I have seen further, it was by standing on the shoulders of giants.
herpfinance

Post by herpfinance »

I bought this Monday to bring my stock allocation close to its desired target as per my plan (very slightly overweighted now).

If we drop further, I will pick up more stocks if my allocation drifts far enough, otherwise the next couple of paychecks are going into fixed income.
"The intelligent investor is a realist who sells to optimists and buys from pessimists" - Benjamin Graham
dharrythomas

Post by dharrythomas »

I funded Roth IRAs this week, because I got our annual statements with the investment stubs last week. Putting money in the Roth TSP every 2 weeks, and small contributions into Total World Stock Index in taxable twice a month.

I guess we're always buying.

A wise man said, "Stay the course!"
AllenSmith

Post by AllenSmith »

mattshwink wrote:Well, my 401k buy is today, my wife's will probably fall on Monday. My IRA is on the 28th. 529 is weekly. So I'm always buying!
who is your 529 with? Vanguard is monthly or quarterly on AIP
mule

Post by mule »

I have a stupid question once again but when you people are saying you are buy stock would that be in the S&P 500? I don't buy single stocks so are talking like growth and stock fund, large cap funds etc? Thanks
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

^Generally, I will say I am buying equities. This week I bought VSS, VEA, VBR and sold BND, VSS, VEU, and VBR.

These are ETFs
VSS small-cap foreign index
VEA large-cap foreign developed index
VEU large-cap foreign index
VBR US small-cap value index
BND Total US Bond index
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
mattshwink

Post by mattshwink »

AllenSmith wrote:
mattshwink wrote:Well, my 401k buy is today, my wife's will probably fall on Monday. My IRA is on the 28th. 529 is weekly. So I'm always buying!
Neither :) I am in Virginia and get a tax deduction, so Virginia529. I use the Stock, International, REIT, and Bond Indexes (which are really Vanguard's). I buy on the 1st, 8th, 15th, and 22nd every month.
AllenSmith

Post by AllenSmith »

mattshwink wrote:
AllenSmith wrote:
Neither :) I am in Virginia and get a tax deduction, so Virginia529. I use the Stock, International, REIT, and Bond Indexes (which are really Vanguard's). I buy on the 1st, 8th, 15th, and 22nd every month.
not bad, i use auto-invest on vangaurd....wish i could do it weekly or 2x/month
likegarden

Post by likegarden »

Not yet, but the next time it goes down I will rebalance. When Iran starts shipping oil, then possibly stock market will get nervous.
john94549

Post by john94549 »

While I am a big fan of CD ladders, and a cautious approach to investing, it's hard to deny the math. Folks who bought a few days ago, and sold yesterday, well, the "delta" speaks for itself. Seriously. As an experiment, I bought 200 shares of VTI in my trading account on January 19. I sold them (market order, nothing fancy) on January 22. In that short of a time span, my swing trade was up almost 2%.

OK, I'm sure I'm missing something, but I double-checked my Schwab account this morning, and my modest gains were still there.
Last edited by john94549 on Sun Jan 24, 2016 7:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
dc81584

Post by dc81584 »

renue74 wrote:I don't know about "market being on sale" now. It's the price of spring 2014.

https://www.google.com/finance?q=INDEXS ... OV2AajjLN4
+1. Stocks are still very expensive, despite the recent correction.
Noobvestor

Post by Noobvestor »

Selling bonds, buying stocks. Managed to catch close to a bottom last week, at least for now. Maybe I'll catch a NEW bottom NEXT week! :moneybag
"In the absence of clarity, diversification is the only logical strategy" -= Larry Swedroe
victork

Post by victork »

Personally, I like to look at things twice a year, on Aug. 2 (my birthday) and Feb 2. If things are out of line, I rebalance (in the tax-deferred accounts).
So, right now, while I certainly find it more fun to have stock prices increasing than decreasing, my current policy is: Just Stand There.
john94549

Post by john94549 »

Noobvestor wrote: Managed to catch close to a bottom last week
Indeed, last week was a good week for swing trades. That said, did you ring the register? If not, why not? Rule #1: never let green fade to red. A modest gain is ever so much better than a modest loss. Today, a peacock. Tomorrow, a feather duster.
EddyB

Post by EddyB »

AllenSmith wrote:
mattshwink wrote:
AllenSmith wrote:
not bad, i use auto-invest on vangaurd....wish i could do it weekly or 2x/month
Couldn't you just set up four separate monthly automatic investments that happen to be, say, the 1st, 8th, 15th and 22nd of each month?
nedsaid

Post by nedsaid »

During the recent downturn, I have not touched my investments. With new monies I have been investing in stocks and bonds as normal. Recently I bought more shares of the Vanguard Total Bond Market Index ETF in my IRA Brokerage account. In my mutual fund IRA, I have been buying TIPS and International Stocks. At my workplace, I am buying 60% World Stock Index and 40% bonds.
A fool and his money are good for business.
magneto

Post by magneto »

looking wrote:just curiosity who's buying or selling ???
That is a good question in a wider context.

One would suppose that there are an equal number of buyers and sellers, at any moment in time, to make a market.

We are currently gently buying, but when looking at a broker's web-site for a fund of interest on a RBD, we found that 95% of trades ongoing that day for the fund were sales :!:

So apart from Magneto, where are on earth are the hidden buyers :?:
'There is a tide in the affairs of men ...', Brutus (Market Timer)
kaudrey

Post by kaudrey »

I buy every two weeks, some stocks and bonds, in my 401(k), and monthly in our other accounts. Since stocks are down, my AA is below our stock target, so I am buying stocks.

And, to answer the other question, when I say "stocks", I mean stock mutual funds - total stock market, total international, and in the TSP - the C, S, and I funds.