who is selling to day??

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
looking

who is selling to day??

Post by looking »

just wondering to see if who is selling to day ???
gkaplan

Re: who is selling to day??

Post by gkaplan »

to day is now over. better you should ask about to morrow.
Gordon
dwickenh

Post by dwickenh »

Bought 1000.00 through the 401K of which 65% were stocks and 35% were bonds. My allocation is 55/45, but my new money is being used to get the stock allocation back to 55%. I will be buying 1000.00 every 2 weeks whether the market goes up or down. No selling in my taxable account.

Dan
The market is the most efficient mechanism anywhere in the world for transferring wealth from impatient people to patient people.” | — Warren Buffett
bubbadog

Post by bubbadog »

Bought today
EnthusiasticLearner

Post by EnthusiasticLearner »

I also bought today. I'm looking to sell something in taxable as part of tax gain harvesting but I need to be really careful about the amount of the gain to keep myself in the 0% LT gains territory. Since I wasn't 100% sure of the gain amount (my cost basis information didn't make the transfer from t to Vanguard), I decided no to risk a mistake in haste and did not sell after all. All of the aforementioned are part of our 2016 portfolio adjustment plan.
TomCat96

Post by TomCat96 »

bought today, 1100 worth of index funds.
White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor »

Sold and bought today. Again.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
Jerry55

Post by Jerry55 »

Retired, no income nor investing....however, I'm picking days to move my daughters $$$ into her rIRA and have not pulled the trigger yet.

Looks like, so far, tomorrow is projected to be another down day of 30 on the S & P 500, 250-300 on the DOW.

I'll wait til the later stages of earnings season...
Retired CSRS on 12/19/2012 @ age 57 w/39 years | Good Bye Tension, Hello Pension !!!
noraz123

Post by noraz123 »

Bought and sold last week to tax loss harvest. At least another 30 days before I do anything in taxable account.

401k continues as always - buying every two weeks for a four fund portfolio - Fidelity Spartan index funds (S&P500, extended market, international) and a Dodge and Cox income (bond) fund.
White Coat Investor

noraz123 wrote:Bought and sold last week to tax loss harvest. At least another 30 days before I do anything in taxable account.
You mean if the market dropped 15% next week you would still wait 3 more weeks to do any tax loss harvesting?
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course
noraz123

Post by noraz123 »

EmergDoc wrote:
noraz123 wrote:Bought and sold last week to tax loss harvest. At least another 30 days before I do anything in taxable account.
You mean if the market dropped 15% next week you would still wait 3 more weeks to do any tax loss harvesting?
To date, I have only had two sets of funds that I have used for TLH (ignoring total bond)

Set #1
Vanguard Total Stock Market
Vanguard Total International

Set #2
Vanguard 500 Index
Vanguard Extended Market
Vanguard FTSE All World Ex-US

I just sold set #2 to buy Set #1. I suppose that I could use ETFs, but if the market drops decently again in the next 4 weeks, what would recommend? I can't go back to Set#2 because of wash sale rules. Is there another common group of equities that mostly matches this?
cudaman

Post by cudaman »

Jerry55 wrote:Retired, no income nor investing...
Well that's just pathetic! No income and no fun with investing either. That's just too much.

Hello Jerry55. :happy

crs1
crit

Post by crit »

Sold and bought today (TLH), and I'll do it again if it's above my threshold.

This market is really helping me straighten out my portfolio, in which I had some legacy individual stocks with long-term gains; the TLHing is letting me offset those gains and turn the money over into the appropriate index funds. Plus, buying low.

Also, made a new lump-sum purchase last week.
White Coat Investor

noraz123 wrote:
EmergDoc wrote:
To date, I have only had two sets of funds that I have used for TLH (ignoring total bond)

Set #1
Vanguard Total Stock Market
Vanguard Total International

Set #2
Vanguard 500 Index
Vanguard Extended Market
Vanguard FTSE All World Ex-US

I just sold set #2 to buy Set #1. I suppose that I could use ETFs, but if the market drops decently again in the next 4 weeks, what would recommend? I can't go back to Set#2 because of wash sale rules. Is there another common group of equities that mostly matches this?
Obviously the more funds you use the more complicated it gets. But just at Vanguard and for large cap stocks you can use TSM, 500, large cap index. You can even go large cap growth (again, very high correlation) and perhaps even some of the closet index funds. That doesn't include all the same funds at Fidelity and Schwab. I mean, it would be pretty easy to TLH every three days for a month without ever having to buy a fund with less than 0.98 correlation with the original fund. I think trying to include extended market is making things unnecessarily complex. Have you looked at the correlation between TSM and 500?
OatmealAddict

Post by OatmealAddict »

I'm itching to get rid of $10,000 of Total Bond Admiral in my Roth in favor of Total International Admiral, but I haven't reached any rebalance bands yet. And for better or worse, I'm stubborn as hell.
AviN

Post by AviN »

I submitted a TLH order this morning for Total International. All these losses are great for my federal income taxes.

Avi
goodenyou
Location: Skating to Where the Puck is Going to Be..or on the golf course

Post by goodenyou »

There are many people selling today.
"Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge" | “At 50, everyone has the face he deserves”
3504PIR

Post by 3504PIR »

JimmyD wrote:I'm itching to get rid of $10,000 of Total Bond Admiral in my Roth in favor of Total International Admiral, but I haven't reached any rebalance bands yet. And for better or worse, I'm stubborn as hell.
Excellent! You must have some broad re-balancing bands. 25%?
FelixTheCat

Post by FelixTheCat »

What's this "Sell" word you are using? I thought we were buy and hold type people. :happy
Felix is a wonderful, wonderful cat.
beezar

Post by beezar »

Wish I had money to buy today!
Tamarind

Post by Tamarind »

I'm buying as soon as my Roth IRA contribution settles...probably tomorrow. Looking forward to it.
psystal

Post by psystal »

beezar wrote:Wish I had money to buy today!
+1

We just had our first child, so my annual Roth IRA investments were on the back burner until well after January 1. Glad I got lucky and was able to load up on this dip.

Post by 123 »

In the spirit of rebalancing I bought some more VTI and VXUS today.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.
GoldenFinch

Post by GoldenFinch »

FelixTheCat wrote:What's this "Sell" word you are using? I thought we were buy and hold type people. :happy
Yes! Buy and hold! What is this word "sell?" Is it in anyone's IPS to sell on dips, panics, or crashes? Maybe some people are selling bonds to buy equities, but that would technically be an exchange.
OatmealAddict

Post by OatmealAddict »

JimmyD wrote:I'm itching to get rid of $10,000 of Total Bond Admiral in my Roth in favor of Total International Admiral, but I haven't reached any rebalance bands yet. And for better or worse, I'm stubborn as hell.
Ok, I'm going to come clean. Just exchanged $3,000 of VBTLX for $2,000 of VTSMX (will soon be VTSAX) and $1,000 of VTIAX which should bring my portfolio back in complete alignment.

I feel kind of dirty doing the exchange being that I wasn't even close to a rebalancing band threshold, but I've really wanted to start chipping away at that VBTLX in the Roth and getting my VTSMX upgraded to Admiral class.
RadAudit
Location: Second star on the right and straight on 'til morning

Post by RadAudit »

Who is selling?

The talking heads at CNBC say some of it's the sovereign wealth funds of countries that depend on oil sales to meet their budgets for social services for their populations. Additionally, there is some short covering. Of course, the talking heads had to say something - so, who knows?

Fortunately, I'm not in that league.
FI is the best revenge. LBYM. Invest the rest. Stay the course. Die anyway. - PS: The cavalry isn't coming, kids. You are on your own.
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

looking wrote:just wondering to see if who is selling to day ???
Why in the world would you sell when the market was down.

If you were in the market for a house or car would you rather pay more or less. Same thing no?

Don't lock in your losses, if anything rebalance and ignore the market for the rest of the year.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!
WIAV8TOR

Post by WIAV8TOR »

Just a little adjusting, but no selling.
bru

Post by bru »

Who is day? And what is he or she buying?
noraz123

Post by noraz123 »

EmergDoc wrote:...it would be pretty easy to TLH every three days for a month without ever having to buy a fund with less than 0.98 correlation with the original fund. I think trying to include extended market is making things unnecessarily complex. Have you looked at the correlation between TSM and 500?
I have not. I am pretty new to TLH, and when I tax loss harvested this past August, I used the Bogleheads Wiki page, Approximating Total Stock Market, https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Approxi ... ock_market.

It seems that you'd be quite right that I could TLH much more based on that wiki page. I don't want to spend too much time on this, but if in two weeks the market is significantly down, perhaps I'll look into a third set of funds.
Jerry55

Post by Jerry55 »

Welp, since I have no W-2 income, I put in $1,500.00 into my daughters Vanguard Target Date 2055 Roth IRA. (50/50 split)

I feel better for her, so-so for myself. I have 5-8 years or more to recover. :happy I suppose she'll be happy(er) in 35+ years too.
Retired CSRS on 12/19/2012 @ age 57 w/39 years | Good Bye Tension, Hello Pension !!!
clevername

Post by clevername »

I sold a large chunk of my taxable account today. I'm not proud of it, but I'm going to need the liquidity soon so I decided to eat the loss and be safe rather than potentially risk more of it. Poor planning on my part. I've known for a while now that I'll need a lot of cash soon, but I didn't do anything. I ignored one of the first and most important bogle head rules: never take too much (or too little) risk.

The total loss is actually relatively small because I sold a lot with a low basis, but it still burned. I get a nice tlh discount on it, but still. Watch everything rebound tomorrow now, right?
boglehat

Post by boglehat »

Sold bonds
Bought stocks
White Coat Investor

noraz123 wrote:
EmergDoc wrote:...it would be pretty easy to TLH every three days for a month without ever having to buy a fund with less than 0.98 correlation with the original fund. I think trying to include extended market is making things unnecessarily complex. Have you looked at the correlation between TSM and 500?
I have not. I am pretty new to TLH, and when I tax loss harvested this past August, I used the Bogleheads Wiki page, Approximating Total Stock Market, https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Approxi ... ock_market.

It seems that you'd be quite right that I could TLH much more based on that wiki page. I don't want to spend too much time on this, but if in two weeks the market is significantly down, perhaps I'll look into a third set of funds.
Well, don't do it often. I had Vanguard call me today to yell at me to wait at least 3-4 days so my previous purchases settle before I sell them and buy the next ones! So maybe 4-5 partners is the most you'd need for any asset class.
jrbdmb

Post by jrbdmb »

boglehat wrote:
Sold bonds
Bought stocks
If the market drops a bit more i will be rebalancing, selling bonds to buy stocks. Does that count? :D