Wash Sale Potential? Vanguard Total International Index (taxable) vs. Fidelity Spartan Int. Index (401k)

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Valdeselad

Wash Sale Potential? Vanguard Total International Index (taxable) vs. Fidelity Spartan Int. Index (401k)

Post by Valdeselad » Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:07 pm

Hi All,

First of all, Happy New Year to everyone. I wish you all a healthy and prosperous 2016.

My question is around some TLH I did with Vanguard Total International (VTIAX) at the end of 2015 and how it relates to some current rebalancing I would like to do in my 401k this week due to the market downturn. If I buy Fidelity Spartan International Index (FSIIX) in my 401k does this have any potential wash sale impact given the recent sale of VTIAX in my taxable account?

Perhaps those aren't even considered 'substantially identical' since I believe they do follow 2 different indices...

jhfenton

Re: Wash Sale Potential? Vanguard Total International Index (taxable) vs. Fidelity Spartan Int. Index (401k)

Post by jhfenton » Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:31 pm

Valdeselad wrote:Hi All,

First of all, Happy New Year to everyone. I wish you all a healthy and prosperous 2016.

My question is around some TLH I did with Vanguard Total International (VTIAX) at the end of 2015 and how it relates to some current rebalancing I would like to do in my 401k this week due to the market downturn. If I buy Fidelity Spartan International Index (FSIIX) in my 401k does this have any potential wash sale impact given the recent sale of VTIAX in my taxable account?

Perhaps those aren't even considered 'substantially identical' since I believe they do follow 2 different indices...
Not only do they follow two different indices; they are very different indices. VSIIX follows a MSCI EAFE developed market index. VTIAX follows a FTSE Global all-cap index, including both developed and emerging markets. If you look at 2015 performance, you'll see the difference in performance from VTIAX's EM stake.

Valdeselad

Re: Wash Sale Potential? Vanguard Total International Index (taxable) vs. Fidelity Spartan Int. Index (401k)

Post by Valdeselad » Thu Jan 07, 2016 2:56 pm

jhfenton wrote:
Not only do they follow two different indices; they are very different indices. VSIIX follows a MSCI EAFE developed market index. VTIAX follows a FTSE Global all-cap index, including both developed and emerging markets. If you look at 2015 performance, you'll see the difference in performance from VTIAX's EM stake.
@jhfenton - Thank you! Always helps to have another perspective...