Thoughts on 3M (MMM)

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
boomstick

Thoughts on 3M (MMM)

Post by boomstick » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:56 am

I've been a long term hold on 3M. Today they are having a down day (~-5%) so it seems like a good chance to pick up more shares. I'd like to hear some folks thoughts on 3M as a investment. Note, I am 30yo with around $100K in 401K and IRAs. Currently maybe 4-5% of my holdings are in 3M.

I know we don't time the market around here, but I'd like your thoughts on the company and the opportunity to invest more in them.

Call_Me_Op

Re: Thoughts on 3M (MMM)

Post by Call_Me_Op » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:06 pm

boomstick wrote:I've been a long term hold on 3M. Today they are having a down day (~-5%) so it seems like a good chance to pick up more shares. I'd like to hear some folks thoughts on 3M as a investment. Note, I am 30yo with around $100K in 401K and IRAs. Currently maybe 4-5% of my holdings are in 3M.

I know we don't time the market around here, but I'd like your thoughts on the company and the opportunity to invest more in them.
Not only do we not time the market, we also do not advocate holding individual stocks because of uncompensated risks. I would recommend holding no more than 10% of your investable wealth in any single company. Aside from that, you should know that all publicly available information on 3M, including projected future earnings, is already baked-into the current price. So whatever we "think" about 3M as an investment really has no value.
Last edited by Call_Me_Op on Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Best regards, -Op | | "In the middle of difficulty lies opportunity." Einstein

Elbowman

Post by Elbowman » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:07 pm

Looks like you have been on this board for a while, long enough to know what our replies will be :D .

As an investor, you are taking on risk in exchange for expected returns. Your ability to take risk is limited, and so you should make sure that all risk you take on when investing is compensated. Individual stocks have uncompensated risk, and should therefore be avoided. If you are OK with the additional risk an individual stock has over TSM, then you should instead buy a EM index fund, where you will actually be compensated for that additional risk.

boomstick

Post by boomstick » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:20 pm

I've been lurking on here for a while, but also read a few of Jack Bogle's books.

So people here generally hold index funds and few (if any) individual stocks? I am just trying to wrap my head around things as I am trying to simplify my investments which I started long ago without the knowledge I have now.

user5027

Post by user5027 » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:34 pm

Good company. I will be buying more when my tIRA and rIRA VTI holding's dividends re-invest. :sharebeer

dbCooperAir

Post by dbCooperAir » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:44 pm

boomstick wrote: So people here generally hold index funds and few (if any) individual stocks? I am just trying to wrap my head around things as I am trying to simplify my investments which I started long ago without the knowledge I have now.
Generally I would say you have it right. Most hold index funds only and we have a few that dabble with individual stocks. We may even have some that hold individual stocks but don't admit it here, its the internet after all :wink:
Neither a wise man nor a brave man lies down on the tracks of history to wait for the train of the future to run over him. | -Dwight D. Eisenhower-

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:45 pm

I'd sell all my shares in MMM or give them away to charity. I would vow never to invest in individual stocks again, too.

Those are my thoughts on 3M.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

selftalk

Post by selftalk » Tue Dec 15, 2015 12:56 pm

MMM is 149.19 at this moment and I would buy more as it`s very oversold short term. Long term I don`t have an opinion at this time as it`s price now is between a buy and a sell point but it should go up from here now. It has performed better than the S&P 500 long term. I hope this helps you.

boomstick

Post by boomstick » Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:21 pm

livesoft wrote:I'd sell all my shares in MMM or give them away to charity. I would vow never to invest in individual stocks again, too.

Those are my thoughts on 3M.
Interesting. I have been burned, but not too badly at this point. Interesting insight... still trying to shape my long term investment strategy at this point.

Thanks

boomstick

Post by boomstick » Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:22 pm

selftalk wrote:MMM is 149.19 at this moment and I would buy more as it`s very oversold short term.
I am leaning more toward this, especially as it continues to dip. We will see.

Thanks for the insight!

selftalk

Post by selftalk » Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:24 pm

There`s less risk buying the Index 500 and /or the total mkt. index which I`m sure you know.

miles monroe

Post by miles monroe » Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:34 pm

this morning cramer said buy!!! buy!!! buy!!! into this weakness.

i owned MMM years ago as part of "dogs of the dow" but haven't followed it since. personally i prefer to buy a stock after a big move down rather that a big move up but thats just my personal preference. i only know what cramer says...

freebeer

Post by freebeer » Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:42 pm

boomstick wrote:...I'd like to hear some folks thoughts on 3M as a investment... 4-5% of my holdings are in 3M.
Buying individual stocks is not investment it is speculation.

Holding 5% of your portfolio in one stock is unwise speculation.

Spirit Rider

Post by Spirit Rider » Tue Dec 15, 2015 6:43 pm

miles monroe wrote:this morning cramer said buy!!! buy!!! buy!!! into this weakness.
Well, the OP has his answer. If Cramer says buy, Buy, BUY. You should sell, Sell, SELL. He is definitely a contrarian indicator.

Friends do not let friends watch CNBC. Turn in your Bogleheads membership card on the way out.

YttriumNitrate

Post by YttriumNitrate » Tue Dec 15, 2015 7:12 pm

deleted.
Last edited by YttriumNitrate on Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

razeus

Post by razeus » Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:26 pm

Call_Me_Op wrote:
boomstick wrote:I've been a long term hold on 3M. Today they are having a down day (~-5%) so it seems like a good chance to pick up more shares. I'd like to hear some folks thoughts on 3M as a investment. Note, I am 30yo with around $100K in 401K and IRAs. Currently maybe 4-5% of my holdings are in 3M.

Not only do we not time the market, we also do not advocate holding individual stocks because of uncompensated risks. I would recommend holding no more than 10% of your investable wealth in any single company. Aside from that, you should know that all publicly available information on 3M, including projected future earnings, is already baked-into the current price. So whatever we "think" about 3M as an investment really has no value.
Such a fallacy. Ask Warren Buffett or Carl Icahn. If they market was that efficient, they couldn't make any money.

razeus

Post by razeus » Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:27 pm

freebeer wrote:
boomstick wrote:...I'd like to hear some folks thoughts on 3M as a investment... 4-5% of my holdings are in 3M.

This too is untrue.

DaftInvestor

Post by DaftInvestor » Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:35 pm

razeus wrote:
freebeer wrote:

This too is untrue.
razeus - I think you joined the wrong the forum ... :happy

Elbowman

Post by Elbowman » Tue Dec 15, 2015 8:39 pm

razeus wrote:
Call_Me_Op wrote:

Such a fallacy. Ask Warren Buffett or Carl Icahn. If they market was that efficient, they couldn't make any money.
It is a fallacy. However, the vast majority of investors will do much better if they pretend it is true, rather than thinking "Warren Buffett beats the market, so I can too!"

SGM

Post by SGM » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:15 pm

I have not owned 3M for a long time. Most of my portfolio is in index funds. I don't consider ownership of stocks to be pure speculation, but individual stock ownership is a lot riskier than holding the whole market. I don't think markets are completely efficient and sometimes individuals can benefit from less than perfect efficiencies. It might be a good time to tax loss harvest and invest in a low cost index fund. Do you know why you bought 3M in the first place and if so are the reasons still valid?

razeus

Post by razeus » Wed Dec 16, 2015 8:59 am

DaftInvestor wrote:
razeus wrote:
freebeer wrote:

This too is untrue.
razeus - I think you joined the wrong the forum ... :happy
I can see why would would say that. :P

miles monroe

Post by miles monroe » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:01 am

the folks at the dividend forum at morningstar wouldn't buy it cuz it only yields 2.75%.

they don't care what happens to the share price.

sschullo

Post by sschullo » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:15 am

My mother bought 3M stocks back in the 50's and 60s. I benefited in several ways by my mother's decision as she worked for the company. It still has a small satellite factory in my tiny hometown, Cumberland, in northern Wisconsin.

When she died in 2000, I inherited about 50 shares. For sentimental reasons, I hung on to them and just sold them last spring for $166. It will be the last individual stock I will own.
Both of us lucked out and furthermore, as a kid I learned about stocks and bonds through my mother's purchase. But "luck" is not part of my long term strategy--diversification is.
Last edited by sschullo on Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Public School K-12 Educators: "Ask NOT what your annuity sales person can do for you, ask what you can do to be a Do-It-Yourselfer (DIY)."

Call_Me_Op

Post by Call_Me_Op » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:18 am

razeus wrote:
Call_Me_Op wrote:

Incorrect - market efficiency does not keep people from making money. Please point-out what I said that is a fallacy so I can specifically dispute it.

Call_Me_Op

Post by Call_Me_Op » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:22 am

Elbowman wrote:
razeus wrote:
Call_Me_Op wrote:

It is a fallacy. However, the vast majority of investors will do much better if they pretend it is true, rather than thinking "Warren Buffett beats the market, so I can too!"
Warren Buffet has actually trailed the market over the past 1-2 decades. But that is not relevant. He buys businesses and influences their management, as well as gets preferential treatment. He should not be compared with the retail investor.

barnaclebob

Post by barnaclebob » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:44 am

boomstick wrote:
selftalk wrote:MMM is 149.19 at this moment and I would buy more as it`s very oversold short term.
I am leaning more toward this, especially as it continues to dip. We will see.

Thanks for the insight!
MMM is set to have a long period of underperformance, sell.

dbr

Post by dbr » Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:04 am

Before you decide whether or not this is a good opportunity you are obligated to examine the other tens of thousands of stocks available to determine which one's are a better opportunity. Until you have done that you can't decide if you should buy more of this one.

Miriam2

Post by Miriam2 » Wed Dec 16, 2015 10:46 am

In his book "The Little Book of Common Sense Investing," our mentor Jack Bogle said this about buying individual stocks:
Individual stocks? Yes. Pick a few. Listen to the promoters. Listen to your broker or advisor. Listen to your neighbors. Heck, even listen to your brother-in-law.
He calls it our Funny Money account, to be distinguished from our Serious Money account.
He doesn't mind a Funny Money account at all! He encourages it - to exercise your animal spirits!
Nonetheless, building an investment portfolio can be exciting, and trying our modern remedies for age-old problems lets you exercise your animal spirits. If you crave excitement, I would encourage you to do exactly that. Life is short. If you want to enjoy the fun, enjoy! But not with one penny more than 5 percent of your investment assets. . . .

Enjoy the fun of gambling and the thrill of the chase, but not with your rent money and certainly not with college education funds for your children, nor with your retirement nest egg. . . .

You're likely to learn some valuable lessons, and it probably won't hurt you too much in the short term. (pgs.201-202)
Last edited by Miriam2 on Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

surfstar

Post by surfstar » Wed Dec 16, 2015 11:05 am

I think its a decent blog that goes overboard at times.

selftalk

Post by selftalk » Wed Dec 16, 2015 9:43 pm

I still think that MMM is a buy now 149.95 for short term. Long term is neutral at this time.

celia

Post by celia » Thu Dec 17, 2015 1:56 am

sschullo wrote:My mother bought 3M stocks back in the 50's and 60s. I benefited in several ways by my mother's decision as she worked for the company. It still has a small satellite factory in my tiny hometown, Cumberland, in northern Wisconsin.

When she died in 2000, I inherited about 50 shares. For sentimental reasons, I hung on to them and just sold them last spring for $166. It will be the last individual stock I will own.
Both of us lucked out and furthermore, as a kid I learned about stocks and bonds through my mother's purchase. But "luck" is not part of my long term strategy--diversification is.
I worked there during the summers when I was in college (and never once attended a MMMeeting). My siblings and I also inherited a lot of it, some of which was held for over 60 years before the relative died (the basis was under a dollar for the oldest shares due to multiple stock splits). I have sold some but am also holding some for MY heirs. This was the stalwart company we also heard about when we were growing up.

The dividends increase every year and that is why some people buy and hold it.
A dollar in Roth is worth more than a dollar in a taxable account. A dollar in taxable is worth more than a dollar in a tax-deferred account.

tesuzuki2002

Post by tesuzuki2002 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 6:58 pm

IF You own it and LIKE it.. Then by all means BUY more... I currently don't own it, but I am a stock Picker along side my index investing and I do want to get a position in MMM for the long term.. Good company and Good Products.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Thu Dec 17, 2015 9:53 pm

Hi boomstick,

Jack Bogle has said that no investors should own individual stocks. The investor assumes a lot more risk that may or may not pay off. If one so chooses, Jack has recommended to limit this "play money" account to no more than 5% of the investment portfolio.

Keep investing simple.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

Elysium

Post by Elysium » Thu Dec 17, 2015 10:24 pm

I have some good memories of working at the HQ there a long time back, nice people overall, very easy to get lost in the campus and plenty of options for food. Would I hold the stock, have no idea, I don't own any.

ogrehead

Post by ogrehead » Thu Dec 17, 2015 11:29 pm

This is just my personal opinion, but I think it's a great time to load up on MMM.

So long as at the same time you are also loading up on ABT, ABBV, ACN, ACE, ATVI, ADBE, ADT, AAP, AES, AET, AFL, AMG, A, GAS, APD, ARG, AKAM, AA, AGN, ALXN, ALLE, ADS, ALL, GOOGL, GOOG, ALTR, MO, AMZN, AEE, AAL, AEP, AXP, AIG, AMT, AMP, ABC, AME, AMGN, APH, APC, ADI, AON, APA, AIV, AAPL, AMAT, ADM, AIZ, T, ADSK, ADP, AN, AZO, AVGO, AVB, AVY, BHI, BLL, BAC, BK, BCR, BXLT, BAX, BBT, BDX, BBBY, BRK-B, BBY, BIIB, BLK, HRB, BA, BWA, BXP, BSX, BMY, BRCM, BF-B, CHRW, CA, CVC, COG, CAM, CPB, COF, CAH, HSIC, KMX, CCL, CAT, CBG, CBS, CELG, CNP, CTL, CERN, CF, SCHW, CHK, CVX, CMG, CB, CI, XEC, CINF, CTAS, CSCO, C, CTXS, CLX, CME, CMS, COH, KO, CCE, CTSH, CL, CPGX, CMCSA, CMA, CAG, COP, CNX, ED, STZ, GLW, COST, CCI, CSRA, CSX, CMI, CVS, DHI, DHR, DRI, DVA, DE, DLPH, DAL, XRAY, DVN, DO, DFS, DISCA, DISCK, DG, DLTR, D, DOV, DOW, DPS, DTE, DD, DUK, DNB, ETFC, EMN, ETN, EBAY, ECL, EIX, EW, EA, EMC, EMR, ENDP, ESV, ETR, EOG, EQT, EFX, EQIX, EQR, ESS, EL, ES, EXC, EXPE, EXPD, ESRX, XOM, FFIV, FB, FAST, FDX, FIS, FITB, FSLR, FE, FISV, FLIR, FLS, FLR, FMC, FTI, F, FOSL, BEN, FCX, FTR, GME, GPS, GRMN, GD, GE, GGP, GIS, GM, GPC, GILD, GS, GT, GWW, HAL, HBI, HOG, HAR, HRS, HIG, HAS, HCA, HCP, HP, HES, HPE, HD, HON, HRL, HST, HPQ, HUM, HBAN, ITW, ILMN, IR, INTC, ICE, IBM, IP, IPG, IFF, INTU, ISRG, IVZ, IRM, JEC, JBHT, JNJ, JCI, JPM, JNPR, KSU, K, KEY, GMCR, KMB, KIM, KMI, KLAC, KSS, KHC, KR, LB, LLL, LH, LRCX, LM, LEG, LEN, LVLT, LUK, LLY, LNC, LLTC, LMT, L, LOW, LYB, MTB, MAC, M, MNK, MRO, MPC, MAR, MMC, MLM, MAS, MA, MAT, MKC, MCD, MHFI, MCK, MJN, WRK, MDT, MRK, MET, KORS, MCHP, MU, MSFT, MHK, TAP, MDLZ, MON, MNST, MCO, MS, MOS, MSI, MUR, MYL, NDAQ, NOV, NAVI, NTAP, NFLX, NWL, NFX, NEM, NWSA, NWS, NEE, NLSN, NKE, NI, NBL, JWN, NSC, NTRS, NOC, NRG, NUE, NVDA, ORLY, OXY, OMC, OKE, ORCL, OI, PCAR, PH, PDCO, PAYX, PYPL, PNR, PBCT, POM, PEP, PKI, PRGO, PFE, PCG, PM, PSX, PNW, PXD, PBI, PCL, PNC, RL, PPG, PPL, PX, PCP, PCLN, PFG, PG, PGR, PLD, PRU, PEG, PSA, PHM, PVH, QRVO, PWR, QCOM, DGX, RRC, RTN, O, RHT, REGN, RF, RSG, RAI, RHI, ROK, COL, ROP, ROST, RCL, R, CRM, SNDK, SCG, SLB, SNI, STX, SEE, SRE, SHW, SIG, SPG, SWKS, SLG, SJM, SNA, SO, LUV, SWN, SE, STJ, SWK, SPLS, SBUX, HOT, STT, SRCL, SYK, STI, SYMC, SYF, SYY, TROW, TGT, TEL, TE, TGNA, THC, TDC, TSO, TXN, TXT, HSY, TRV, TMO, TIF, TWX, TWC, TJX, TMK, TSS, TSCO, RIG, TRIP, FOXA, FOX, TSN, TYC, USB, UA, UNP, UAL, UNH, UPS, URI, UTX, UHS, UNM, URBN, VFC, VLO, VAR, VTR, VRSN, VRSK, VZ, VRTX, VIAB, V, VNO, VMC, WMT, WBA, DIS, WM, WAT, ANTM, WFC, HCN, WDC, WU, WY, WHR, WFM, WMB, WEC, WYN, WYNN, XEL, XRX, XLNX, XL, XYL, YHOO, YUM, ZBH, ZION, and ZTS.

sschullo

Post by sschullo » Sat Dec 19, 2015 10:28 pm

ogrehead wrote:This is just my personal opinion, but I think it's a great time to load up on MMM.

So long as at the same time you are also loading up on ABT, ABBV, ACN, ACE, ATVI, ADBE, ADT, AAP, AES, AET, AFL, AMG, A, GAS, APD, ARG, AKAM, AA, AGN, ALXN, ALLE, ADS, ALL, GOOGL, GOOG, ALTR, MO, AMZN, AEE, AAL, AEP, AXP, AIG, AMT, AMP, ABC, AME, AMGN, APH, APC, ADI, AON, APA, AIV, AAPL, AMAT, ADM, AIZ, T, ADSK, ADP, AN, AZO, AVGO, AVB, AVY, BHI, BLL, BAC, BK, BCR, BXLT, BAX, BBT, BDX, BBBY, BRK-B, BBY, BIIB, BLK, HRB, BA, BWA, BXP, BSX, BMY, BRCM, BF-B, CHRW, CA, CVC, COG, CAM, CPB, COF, CAH, HSIC, KMX, CCL, CAT, CBG, CBS, CELG, CNP, CTL, CERN, CF, SCHW, CHK, CVX, CMG, CB, CI, XEC, CINF, CTAS, CSCO, C, CTXS, CLX, CME, CMS, COH, KO, CCE, CTSH, CL, CPGX, CMCSA, CMA, CAG, COP, CNX, ED, STZ, GLW, COST, CCI, CSRA, CSX, CMI, CVS, DHI, DHR, DRI, DVA, DE, DLPH, DAL, XRAY, DVN, DO, DFS, DISCA, DISCK, DG, DLTR, D, DOV, DOW, DPS, DTE, DD, DUK, DNB, ETFC, EMN, ETN, EBAY, ECL, EIX, EW, EA, EMC, EMR, ENDP, ESV, ETR, EOG, EQT, EFX, EQIX, EQR, ESS, EL, ES, EXC, EXPE, EXPD, ESRX, XOM, FFIV, FB, FAST, FDX, FIS, FITB, FSLR, FE, FISV, FLIR, FLS, FLR, FMC, FTI, F, FOSL, BEN, FCX, FTR, GME, GPS, GRMN, GD, GE, GGP, GIS, GM, GPC, GILD, GS, GT, GWW, HAL, HBI, HOG, HAR, HRS, HIG, HAS, HCA, HCP, HP, HES, HPE, HD, HON, HRL, HST, HPQ, HUM, HBAN, ITW, ILMN, IR, INTC, ICE, IBM, IP, IPG, IFF, INTU, ISRG, IVZ, IRM, JEC, JBHT, JNJ, JCI, JPM, JNPR, KSU, K, KEY, GMCR, KMB, KIM, KMI, KLAC, KSS, KHC, KR, LB, LLL, LH, LRCX, LM, LEG, LEN, LVLT, LUK, LLY, LNC, LLTC, LMT, L, LOW, LYB, MTB, MAC, M, MNK, MRO, MPC, MAR, MMC, MLM, MAS, MA, MAT, MKC, MCD, MHFI, MCK, MJN, WRK, MDT, MRK, MET, KORS, MCHP, MU, MSFT, MHK, TAP, MDLZ, MON, MNST, MCO, MS, MOS, MSI, MUR, MYL, NDAQ, NOV, NAVI, NTAP, NFLX, NWL, NFX, NEM, NWSA, NWS, NEE, NLSN, NKE, NI, NBL, JWN, NSC, NTRS, NOC, NRG, NUE, NVDA, ORLY, OXY, OMC, OKE, ORCL, OI, PCAR, PH, PDCO, PAYX, PYPL, PNR, PBCT, POM, PEP, PKI, PRGO, PFE, PCG, PM, PSX, PNW, PXD, PBI, PCL, PNC, RL, PPG, PPL, PX, PCP, PCLN, PFG, PG, PGR, PLD, PRU, PEG, PSA, PHM, PVH, QRVO, PWR, QCOM, DGX, RRC, RTN, O, RHT, REGN, RF, RSG, RAI, RHI, ROK, COL, ROP, ROST, RCL, R, CRM, SNDK, SCG, SLB, SNI, STX, SEE, SRE, SHW, SIG, SPG, SWKS, SLG, SJM, SNA, SO, LUV, SWN, SE, STJ, SWK, SPLS, SBUX, HOT, STT, SRCL, SYK, STI, SYMC, SYF, SYY, TROW, TGT, TEL, TE, TGNA, THC, TDC, TSO, TXN, TXT, HSY, TRV, TMO, TIF, TWX, TWC, TJX, TMK, TSS, TSCO, RIG, TRIP, FOXA, FOX, TSN, TYC, USB, UA, UNP, UAL, UNH, UPS, URI, UTX, UHS, UNM, URBN, VFC, VLO, VAR, VTR, VRSN, VRSK, VZ, VRTX, VIAB, V, VNO, VMC, WMT, WBA, DIS, WM, WAT, ANTM, WFC, HCN, WDC, WU, WY, WHR, WFM, WMB, WEC, WYN, WYNN, XEL, XRX, XLNX, XL, XYL, YHOO, YUM, ZBH, ZION, and ZTS.
I think you are a bonafide Boglehead. Welcome aboard.
Public School K-12 Educators: "Ask NOT what your annuity sales person can do for you, ask what you can do to be a Do-It-Yourselfer (DIY)."

sschullo

Post by sschullo » Mon Dec 21, 2015 9:48 am

celia wrote:
sschullo wrote:My mother bought 3M stocks back in the 50's and 60s. I benefited in several ways by my mother's decision as she worked for the company. It still has a small satellite factory in my tiny hometown, Cumberland, in northern Wisconsin.

I worked there during the summers when I was in college (and never once attended a MMMeeting). My siblings and I also inherited a lot of it, some of which was held for over 60 years before the relative died (the basis was under a dollar for the oldest shares due to multiple stock splits). I have sold some but am also holding some for MY heirs. This was the stalwart company we also heard about when we were growing up.

The dividends increase every year and that is why some people buy and hold it.
I did not believe your last comment about dividends increases as I did not notice a difference in the last ten years I owned the stock. But you are almost right about increasing dividends every year (except 2003 and if I am reading this table correctly) http://www.nasdaq.com/symbol/mmm/dividend-history, but those increases were tiny. Still they were increases.
Happy holidays

dbr

Post by dbr » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:15 am

sschullo wrote: I did not believe your last comment about dividends increases as I did not notice a difference in the last ten years I owned the stock. But you are almost right about increasing dividends every year (except 2003 and if I am reading this table correctly) http://www.nasdaq.com/symbol/mmm/dividend-history, but those increases were tiny. Still they were increases.
Happy holidays
Indeed, but would that be true after inflation?

sschullo

Post by sschullo » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:58 am

dbr wrote:
sschullo wrote: I did not believe your last comment about dividends increases as I did not notice a difference in the last ten years I owned the stock. But you are almost right about increasing dividends every year (except 2003 and if I am reading this table correctly) http://www.nasdaq.com/symbol/mmm/dividend-history, but those increases were tiny. Still they were increases.
Happy holidays
Indeed, but would that be true after inflation?
Well yeah, even if inflation was 17%, a increase in the dividend is still an increase. Of course its nothing for MMM to brag about except that you and I know the brokers use the words "increase every year" in their sales pitches to their clients.

Inflation, of course, is important, but its beside the point that Celia was making.

celia

Post by celia » Fri Dec 25, 2015 11:13 pm

sschullo wrote:I did not believe your last comment about dividends increases as I did not notice a difference in the last ten years I owned the stock. But you are almost right about increasing dividends every year (except 2003 and if I am reading this table correctly) http://www.nasdaq.com/symbol/mmm/dividend-history, but those increases were tiny.
On 9/30/2003, they had a 2-for-1 stock split, so since then you would have received twice the dividends since you owned twice as many shares.
http://investors.3m.com/stock-informati ... fault.aspx

My relative owned MMM for about 60 years, and one year there was a 3-for-1 split.
A dollar in Roth is worth more than a dollar in a taxable account. A dollar in taxable is worth more than a dollar in a tax-deferred account.