Partial Rollover from Vanguard to TSP

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
larmewar

Partial Rollover from Vanguard to TSP

Post by larmewar »

I'm considering a rollover from Vanguard IRA funds into the TSP, overall moving funds from short term bond to the G fund. I'm limited by the one IRA rollover per 12 months. Does anyone have any experience or encountered problems with Vanguard trustee direct to TSP rollovers? How was certification that all funds are after tax handled?

Lar
MichDad

Re: Partial Rollover from Vanguard to TSP

Post by MichDad »

Lar,

I've transferred funds directly from my Vanguard SEP-IRA to the TSP without any problems. If I recall correctly, the whole process went very smoothly and took about ten calendar days (but not during the holidays). Also, I'm not sure you're correct that you're limited to only one trustee-to-trustee direct transfer per 12 months. I thought that so long as it's trustee-to-trustee direct, you can do it as frequently as you like. But please do not rely on me for this. Speak with qualified representatives at Vanguard to make sure.

MichDad
rkhusky

Post by rkhusky »

I don't think you can rollover a Roth IRA (after tax IRA) to TSP (or to a 401K).
triceratop

Post by triceratop »

larmewar wrote:I'm considering a rollover from Vanguard IRA funds into the TSP, overall moving funds from short term bond to the G fund. I'm limited by the one IRA rollover per 12 months. Does anyone have any experience or encountered problems with Vanguard trustee direct to TSP rollovers? How was certification that all funds are after tax handled?

Lar
If this is indeed a Roth IRA, then as rkhusky noted then you can't rollover into TSP. You can direct new contributions to myRA which has access to the same G fund, but there are some catches: 1) $15,000 maximum balance allowed 2) no Roth rollovers into myRA 3) max 30 years account life
"To play the stock market is to play musical chairs under the chord progression of a bid-ask spread."
Topic Author
larmewar

Post by larmewar »

MichDad,

Thanks for your response. When I wrote limited by one rollover per 12 months, I was referring to withdrawing and sending the rollover to TSP myself.

Lar