Creating a 1099-Misc

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
LFrugal

Creating a 1099-Misc

Post by LFrugal »

In January, this will be the first year I need to generate a 1099-Misc for a contractor since I paid him more than $600 for repairs to a rental property in 2015. From what I gather after a little online research, I can go one of two ways: 1) TurboTax Home and Business allows you to generate the forms to mail, although I usually use TurboTax Deluxe and do not really need everything else Home and Business offers; or 2) I can simply handwrite the 1099-Misc on the blank forms I've received from IRS and mail to contractor with copy to IRS.

Has anyone been through this and is handwriting a 1099-Misc a bad idea?

Thanks for any guidance.
dodecahedron

Re: Creating a 1099-Misc

Post by dodecahedron »

I don't think there is any problem with handwriting the 1099. The IRS prefers efile, because it is easier for them, and they will give you an extended deadline (an extra month, I think) if you efile, but if you are only doing one, I would just do the handwritten one on the multipart forms you got from the IRS. It will be faster for you to fill it out manually than to go through all the rigamarole of the tax software menus. (It would be different if you were doing a whole boatload of these! In that case, I'd go with the software.)

Be sure to retain the copy for your own records.