Quicken and the Thrift Savings Plan

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
snwbrdr18

Quicken and the Thrift Savings Plan

Post by snwbrdr18 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:00 am

Is there a portfolio management software which allows the user to download data automatically from the Thrift Savings Plan? I've been trying to do this with Quicken but I'm having no luck.

LeeMKE

Re: Quicken and the Thrift Savings Plan

Post by LeeMKE » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:04 pm

Do you mean a thrift savings plan from your employer?

If so, some plans can be downloaded and some can't in my experience. The problem is at the savings plan end, not the software you are using. If the plan doesn't allow automatic downloads, you can't get them into Quicken or any other portfolio management software. Investigate with your thrift plan first.
The mightiest Oak is just a nut who stayed the course.

hornet96

Post by hornet96 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 10:15 pm

He/she is talking about the federal government's TSP: https://www.tsp.gov/index.html

The TSP does not support downloads into Quicken. There are various ways to import prices but you'll have to enter all transactions manually. If you search the forum, you'll find posts that detail how to run pricing updates using spreadsheets for TSP funds and uploading fund prices into Quicken.

peddler12

Post by peddler12 » Thu Nov 12, 2015 11:12 pm

See thread TSP Share prices for Quicken.

Simbilis

Post by Simbilis » Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:05 pm

If you just want to have up-to-date share price data, see this thread.

If you want to import transactions, you may be out of luck. Quicken no longer supports OFX/QFX files for brokerage accounts. However, this blog post implies that it's possible to trick Quicken into importing them. You'd need your TSP transactions in an OFX file, though.

I've started work on a TSP transaction export script to produce an OFX file for GnuCash. I'll post it to the first thread when it's usable.

Sim