Does It Make Sense to Go From SEP to Solo-401K for BackDoor Roth

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
JustinTime

Does It Make Sense to Go From SEP to Solo-401K for BackDoor Roth

Post by JustinTime » Thu Sep 03, 2015 3:43 pm

I just had a great conversation with Fidelity. I'm really thinking it may make sense for me to do a Solo-401K Vs. a SEP for my small sole-proprietor side business.

Note: I also have a employers 401K so there would be no employee contribution benefit for me since that 18K would be maxed out with my employers 401K.

Here's my reasoning:

I have a side business, and I will likely be maxing out the 53K employee/profit sharing (Pre-Tax) each year. I also make to much money to perform a Pre-Tax/Deductible contribution to a traditional IRA. That leaves me the backdoor option for a Roth. So I could contribute after-tax money to a traditional IRA and immediately convert that to a Roth.

Issue this that is say I want to perform a Roth conversion for $ 5,000 based on IRS form 8606: http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8606.pdf this would take all my IRA's into account and divide the percentage of the conversion to each IRA equally.

Lets say I have 50,000 in the SEP IRA (Pre-Tax) and (5,000) in a Traditional IRA that is (After-Tax) money this would allow me to convert $ 5,000 / $ 55,000 (Amount in all IRA's) which = .09%.

Conversion for the SEP IRA would be = $ 50,000 * .09% = $ 4,550 Roth Conversion (This would be a taxable event since this is Pre-Tax money in my high tax bracket)
Conversion for the Trad IRA would be = $ 5,000 * .09% = $ 450 Roth Conversion (This would not be a taxable event since the money is After-Tax)

By creating a Solo-401K, it could shelter any of the Profit Sharing portion from my business from being calculated in this conversion since it would be in a 401K not an IRA.

I know there can be a little more paperwork like IRS form 5500 if the Solo-401K is more than $ 250,000, but it doesn't seem like anything to significant for a Solo-401K.

Can anyone see any drawbacks to creating a Solo-401K and rolling my SEP IRA into it so that I can only convert my After-Tax Trad IRA into a Roth (Backdoor Roth).

The only thing I can think of is the Fidelity agent said you can only access the 401K funds on specific trigging events whereas with an IRA you always have access before 59 1/2 if you pay the 10% tax and income tax, but I really don't plan on needing this anyway.

Here's the triggering events for the Solo-401K with Fidelity:

Death
Disability
59 1/2
Separate from service (Business sold / closed)

Topic Author
JustinTime

Re: Does It Make Sense to Go From SEP to Solo-401K for BackDoor Roth

Post by JustinTime » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:53 pm

Bumping up since it's around the end of the work day.

Duckie

Post by Duckie » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:03 pm

JustinTime wrote:Can anyone see any drawbacks to creating a Solo-401K and rolling my SEP IRA into it so that I can only convert my After-Tax Trad IRA into a Roth (Backdoor Roth).
I see no drawbacks.

AWH_CPA

Post by AWH_CPA » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:18 pm

Can SEP IRAs be rolled into 401(k) plans?

I think that is your only limitation. If they can, then by all means do it. But it was my understanding that a SEP IRA is not a "qualified" plan that can rolled into another qualified plan. I very well could be wrong on this though.

michelef

Post by michelef » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:23 pm

Regarding rolling a SEP into a solo 401k - different companies have different rules. Vanguard does not allow this, while Fidelity does. My husband transferred his SEP from Vanguard to Fidelity for just this purpose.

Topic Author
JustinTime

Post by JustinTime » Thu Sep 03, 2015 6:28 pm

The Solo-401K would be with Fidelity so yes it could be rolled over into the Solo-401K
AWH_CPA wrote:Can SEP IRAs be rolled into 401(k) plans?

I think that is your only limitation. If they can, then by all means do it. But it was my understanding that a SEP IRA is not a "qualified" plan that can rolled into another qualified plan. I very well could be wrong on this though.

JDDS

Post by JDDS » Thu Sep 03, 2015 9:22 pm

Lots of people have mentioned/encouraged others to do this for the reasons you give.