Mom Investment CEO Needs Help!

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
money$$money$$money

Mom Investment CEO Needs Help!

Post by money$$money$$money » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:02 pm

I posted several years ago and found the responses really helpful.

Now with our cash & investments much healthier and my husband getting closer to retirement I find I am completely uncertain as to what I should be doing to maximize our assets. My husband is good at making money, doesn't have any interest in the accounting it takes to preserve and grow it. It's all me.

I found your opinions to be mostly really helpful last time and I would really appreciate your help again in this upward momentum we have going.

Husbands income for 2015

We have no debt.

Own Our Home-

Tax Filing – Joint

Tax Rate –

Emergency/Cash –

Husbands Rollover IRA –

Husbands Current 401K –

Fees: Administrative On Current 401K

Large Cap:

Vanguard PRIMECAP Fund Admiral Shares – 14% Expense Ratio - .35%
Vanguard Wellington Admiral Fund(65%) –23% Expense Ratio - .18%
Vanguard Inst. Index Fund Inst. Plus – 20% Expense Ratio - .02%

Bond Funds:

Vanguard Total Bond market Index Funds – 8% Expense Ratio - .05%
Vanguard Wellington Admiral Fund(35%) –13% Expense Ratio - .18%

Mid:

Vanguard Mid-Cap Index Funds Institutional Shares – 3% - Expense Ratio .06%

International:

Dodge & Cox International – 9% - Expense Ratio - .64%

Other:

Vanguard REIT – 4% Expense Ratio .08%

Dodge & Cox Stock – 6% Expense Ratio – 0.52%

Other Available Funds in the Plan Include:

Target Date Retirement Funds
Vanguard Convertible Securities Fund
Vanguard Explorer Fund Admiral Shares
Vanguard Prime Money Market Fund Institutional Shares
Vanguard Retirement Savings Trust III
Vanguard Small-Cap Index Fund Institutional Plus Shares
Vanguard Total Bond Market Index Fund Institutional Plus Shares

Opened to transfer and invest some of the cash we have on hand. It seems a large portion of the savings could be more effective someplace else? This is where my research started confusing me. Based on what I have been reading I am completely confused on what the best investment is for tax purposes in this after tax account or if I should even be investing this way at all because of taxes.

Husband Fidelity:

Restricted Company Stock – Current 40K, has lost a lot of value and doesn't vest until July 2016 .

Husband Individual Company Stock – 14K – Just canceled all future contributions. Can't take it out without penalty.

Myself:

I started contributing to a Vanguard Spousal IRA when I learned of the option

Vanguard Wellington Investor Fund – 11.5K – Expense Ratio - .26%

Thank you all so much for taking the time required to help a stranger.
Last edited by money$$money$$money on Mon Aug 03, 2015 10:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

traveltoomuch

Re: Mom Investment CEO Needs Help!

Post by traveltoomuch » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:14 pm

Might it make sense to roll all tax-deferred IRAs into the 401k so you can do a backdoor Roth?

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Wed Jul 22, 2015 3:25 pm

money$$money$$money wrote: Just opened a Taxable IRA, husbands:
I am not sure a non-deductible traditional IRA would be the place to put some money. What exactly is a "Taxable IRA"? Is it a Roth IRA? Or is it a non-deductible traditional IRA?
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

NightFall

Post by NightFall » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:02 pm

Why are you paying so much in tax? The 33% tax bracket requires 230451 of taxable income. If you make 250K + interest on 195K (=1.8K) but contribute the full elective amount to the 401K (=24K), you should have about 228K of income. Your standard deduction is 13850 with 12000 in exemptions. So that leaves an approximate AGI of 201905... well into the 28% bracket but 28K short of the 33% bracket.

dbr

Post by dbr » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:12 pm

I think a really important step to start now is planning for what your income and expenses can be when your husband retires, assuming you have no intention of working yourself.

I see savings about $700K give or take a bunch (do I have that right?). If you apply the infamous 4% rule, that funds about $28K per year. What is your plan for getting from a current income of almost ten times that to that? You could add SS and find yourselves with an income more like $60K per year.

I hope I am not missing something here, but based on your post your husband won't be able quit work any time soon and you will have to save massively to retire at a likely amount one would guess you will want. Of course, a retirement on a smaller income might be perfectly acceptable.

I certainly apologize if I have misread your post or there is something I am missing from the situation as it now appears.

PS There are several good tools to use to estimate the retirement income situation. The old standby and I think still a good one is here:

www.firecalc.com

niceguy7376

Post by niceguy7376 » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:22 pm

I agree with dbr that your retirement accounts and taxable account amounts are fairly low compared to the income your husband is bringing in this year.

are there accounts that are not listed in here? You started your IRA in 2014 or 2013 only?
What is a taxable IRA? I dont see your spouse being eligible for trad ira (since he has 401k) or Roth IRA (since your tax bracket of 33% would rule out the 180 to 190k range).

Do you have any 529 for your kid?

As for Asset Allocation, what is your preference of AA? Based on that, you can then arrange in such a way that Bonds go into IRA or 401k and your taxable account (after setting aside ER fund) can be used to invest in tax efficient total stock or total intl.

dolphinsaremammals

Post by dolphinsaremammals » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:24 pm

What is your spending per year now? I am a little perplexed that with that income you do not have more savings?

Do either of you have a pension? What will your Social Security look like?

Topic Author
money$$money$$money

Post by money$$money$$money » Wed Jul 22, 2015 7:17 pm

I made correction to tax bracket, poster Nightfall was correct in their math.

Traveltomuch: From the reading I have done, I came to the conclusion that a back door Roth might not help us that much because my husband is so close to retirement. ?

Livesoft: Yes, a non deductible IRA, I didn't use the correct terminology.

dbr: You haven't missed anything. Yes, it appears SS will be about 3K per month, plus whatever % is withdrawn from retirement accounts. I believe I read that with a couple age different of 10 or more years the IRS allows for less to be taken out as well. Yes, I get about the same figure for retirement income. It's going to be more of a shock for my husband then me honestly. I grew up a lot differently then he did.

niceguy7376: Yes, income is awesome right now. If my old posts are still up, you could see story about ugly divorce 16 yrs ago now, 300k of debt and a frying pan and a lawn chair between us. Ha! Income back then with those circumstances was about 100K. Rose throughout the yrs and previous employment gave bonuses that had a huge impact turning us around. Lack of work led to an employer change 4 yrs ago, had to wait a yr. to contribute to what at that time was a non qualifying IRA, which we opted not to do. So, after a job title & department change, finally were able to get in the normal 401K. Thus, the low amount in current 401K. Currently on an assignment that has an uplift which has increased income to the over 250k mark since early 2015. Everything is listed.

We don't have a 529 for our son. Decided against that because it doesn't seem like if us old people have an emergency you can get it out without penalty. 2 grown kids made it through 6 to 10 yrs of school with loans. mainly worried about extra living expense support from the previous experiences.

dolphinsaremammals: No pension with current employer. Previous Pension was rolled over with previous 401K. I recently figured our monthly house related expenses ins, taxes, utilities, maintenance to be about 1200 per month. Income has not always been as high. We had been supporting my oldest son with housing until last fall when he finally got his PT License and a job. That was about 1k per month. Food is our next biggest expense groceries and eating out, 1,600 per month. It's horrible, we know. After that it is my husbands hobby, knives, knives and more knives. Mute topic, will just have to sell when he figures out he can't eat a knife. I have been putting 10K month in the savings account all of 2015.

I also set up the spending tracker in our bank again and have been tracking where everything goes so it can be looked at closer. cable and phone are thorns in my side.

AA preference is what ever is the smartest option for our situation. I admit to not knowing what that means for our situation. Do I keep being risky to try and bump amounts more or do I say hey, I want to preserve what we do have and put it in a more conservative funds? Is the allocation I have now alright in the rollover and current 401K? I was going to put about 100K of the savings into the nondeductible Ira but then I stated reading all about the tax issues and that is all way over my head to try and figure out.

dbr

Post by dbr » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:20 pm

Most likely the biggest effect on prospects at this time is to work as long as possible (one and/or both of you) and save as much more as possible. If the plan is for your husband to retire within a couple of years, a reasonable desire, then there isn't a lot asset allocation can do. The biggest two effects on the success of taking money out of a portfolio are withdrawal rate and luck of history in how investment returns will develop for you and others that retire in this time period. Investments like Wellington are probably aimed at the right spot for this purpose, though I am biased to balanced total market investing myself. Your current asset allocation is already quite aggressive. I don't see any place for you to go to do more. A lot of people would advise you to put more in bonds, but that is a question that needs lots of discussion. I also think TIPS are a consideration for people contemplating a retirement with one of you at least looking at a lot of years. TIPS tend to be out of sentiment on this forum these days due to low yields for Treasuries.

Here, by the way, is the Wiki section on withdrawal models: https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Retirem ... d_spending

I like Firecalc, the Fidelity Planner, and I think people do well with the Vanguard planner. Others may have some good thoughts here.

It is possible that giving up some of the assets for a single premium immediate annuity would be a strategy. One does keep in mind that SS is already an annuitized income stream. Your husband is old enough to start benefiting from the payout on SPIAs but you are so young that the payout on a joint and survivor annuity is considerably reduced. I would like someone who really understands the pluses and minuses in that situation to weigh in. A key issue here is your long prospective lifetime. Inflation looms large in that equation as well, and most commercial annuities available at good payouts are fixed. As an example a joint lifetime guaranteed annuity has a payout of 4.9% right now, but if you were ten years older it would be 5.7% and ten years older than that 6.6%. Just to take a flier on something I really know little about would be your husband taking a single life annuity which pays 8.8% and buying life insurance to help you if that income is short lived. This concept would need some expert analysis. Note an 8.8% payout on giving up, say $400,000 of his assets is an annual income of $35,200 and you would have another $300K and more still left. Again inflation is a serious concern in a case like that. How an annuity affects the results can be looked at in the planners.

PS Forgot to ask. What is the life insurance situation? This could make all the difference. Also there are in general delicate questions around the whole subject of the plan for you if you survive your husband by many years. The point is that you are in effect planning to retire at a much younger than the conventional age.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:33 pm

money$$money$$money wrote:Livesoft: Yes, a non deductible IRA, I didn't use the correct terminology.
If that was a non-deductible tradtional IRA and not a Roth IRA, then I believe that was not a wise decision. I would recommend that you do not do this again. As you learn more, you will see why I think this way and you will probably come to think the same way.

billfromct

Post by billfromct » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:19 pm

You may want to do some research into your husband doing a "file & suspend" for Social Security benefits so your child (until he graduates from high school) would get 50% of what your husband would have gotten. "File & suspend" means that your husband would not receive any money but would allow dependents access to SS benefits. Your husband's SS benefit would increase 8%/year until he receives SS @ age 70. Waiting until age 70 would get him the largest SS amount.

A "stay at home mom" would also get a benefit until your son turns 16. I think it would also be the same 50% amount.

Your son's SS money has to be used for his benefit or savings. That money could go to his college fund. You have to keep good records because SS may ask you to document what you do with your son's money.

I'm not a SS expert about "file & suspend" so you should check with the SS office. I'm sure you can also find information on "the Google".

bill

Topic Author
money$$money$$money

Post by money$$money$$money » Wed Jul 22, 2015 11:55 pm

dbr:

We have 300K term life that runs out in a yr or so. 10 yrs ago it was the highest amount we could afford to pay for ourselves. My husband has some health issues so it is doubtful another personal policy will be affordable based on age and health. There is also additional life insurance through his employer, while he is employed. It was mainly important to me to have the life insurance during the period our son was really young.

I have a good understanding of what life looks like in even 5yrs. based on today. It's not a delicate topic to me at all. Confidence knowing I'm on the right track with the money at hand seems like a really good goal for today. Screwing that up makes the future worse for sure. I feel like I am solely responsible for what to me is already a large sum of money. Clearly, now I am at a point where it is more then, just put the money in pots x,y,z. Now it is, does this pot of money play well with this pot of money? It's over my head when tax consequences become part of the formula. It's frustrating to know there is probably more that could be done and knowing it is to complicated to figure out on my own.

When mandatory withdrawals start at 701/2 does everyone switch to income preserving funds or do some people keep a more growth type portfolio set-up and keep the risk? I've been wondering if I already shouldn't be abandoning growth for preservation of what is there right now.

I haven't been good with is looking at all the accounts as a whole and adjusting the ratio of stocks/bonds/cash as a whole.

livesoft:

The 5K that I recently transferred from savings to the non deductible IRA is still in the sweep account since I haven't been confident where to put it. I had planned on adding much more from the savings account to it. I figured less then 100k in savings would be plenty emergency cash. Maybe I should just transfer the 5k back to savings. More & more it seems like a mess to invest after tax money. We called Vanguard and talked to someone to help us open the account and everything, and he never cautioned us against it at all. He didn't mention anything about the earnings being taxed differently then pre-tax money, nothing. Am I understanding that any gains will be taxed so high that I may loose money? I think I read that the gains in non deductible IRA could affect the gains in the rollover IRA as well. The IRS would lump it all together and tax it at the higher rate or something?

What are people with even higher incomes doing? Doesn't it get invested some how after tax? I know people don't keep large amounts of money in savings accounts, earning nothing, and only investing what is allowed pre-tax through employer 401k plans up to IRS limits. Is it just the short time frame until retirement that is causing the problem?

Topic Author
money$$money$$money

Post by money$$money$$money » Thu Jul 23, 2015 12:06 am

Bill:

Yes, I am aware of that. Precisely the reason he is waiting to start taking SS until age 70 is to obtain the largest amount. We sat down and actually did the math on that, and because of our son and our age difference it made the most sense toward helping me in the future being alone. I think he needs to live 8 yrs drawing it at the higher rate to make up for the years he opted not to take it. Something like that.

I think the 50% benefit for our son and myself is only upon my husbands death. My son would collect until a certain age, and I could collect while I am his caretaker.

I think "file and suspend" is a separate scenario, where the wife who retires collects on the husbands higher SS, rather than own her own, until he retires himself and that way the full amount is still received by both husband and wife. Damm, I typed that like I knew what I was talking about. I may not, ha!

Northern Flicker

Post by Northern Flicker » Thu Jul 23, 2015 10:41 pm

It appears you are holding most of your stock in tax-qualified accounts, and a large cash position in a taxable account. If you don't need the entire 195K in cash as an emergency fund, you would probably benefit from moving some of that to (an) index fund(s) in a taxable account, and a corresponding amount of stock in a 401k/ira into a bond fund, particularly benefitting in the withdrawal phase.

-jalbert

sesq

Post by sesq » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:41 am

If I am reading this correctly the OP has a non-deductible IRA with basis, and no other IRA's. OP's spouse has a rollover IRA.

If this is correct the OP is able to do the backdoor Roth on HER IRA. The "I" stands for individual, so if she were to convert the pro-rata rule would only apply to the balances owned by the individual. The fact that there is a substantial balance held by her spouse would not be relevant in that calculation, even if a joint return is filed.

Ged

Post by Ged » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:50 am

It seems to me that a backdoor IRA conversion with all that income wouldn't be that great an idea right now. After husband retires though is could be beneficial.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Fri Jul 24, 2015 9:56 am

sesq wrote:If I am reading this correctly the OP has a non-deductible IRA with basis, and no other IRA's. OP's spouse has a rollover IRA.

If this is correct the OP is able to do the backdoor Roth on HER IRA. The "I" stands for individual, so if she were to convert the pro-rata rule would only apply to the balances owned by the individual. The fact that there is a substantial balance held by her spouse would not be relevant in that calculation, even if a joint return is filed.
This is all very true --- if that non-deductible IRA belongs to her and she has no other IRAs. If that is true, then a conversion to a Roth IRA should be done NOW before there are any gains in the newly opened and funded non-deductible traditional IRA.

BUT BUT BUT --- a spousal IRA with $11.5K was mentioned in the OP --- and thet non-deductible IRA was "husbands", so the above is probably not true.

A Form 8606 will need to be filled out regardless and submitted with Form 1040 for 2015.

Topic Author
money$$money$$money

Post by money$$money$$money » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:48 am

livesoft wrote:
sesq wrote:If I am reading this correctly the OP has a non-deductible IRA with basis, and no other IRA's. OP's spouse has a rollover IRA.

This is all very true --- if that non-deductible IRA belongs to her and she has no other IRAs. If that is true, then a conversion to a Roth IRA should be done NOW before there are any gains in the newly opened and funded non-deductible traditional IRA.

BUT BUT BUT --- a spousal IRA with $11.5K was mentioned in the OP --- and thet non-deductible IRA was "husbands", so the above is probably not true.

A Form 8606 will need to be filled out regardless and submitted with Form 1040 for 2015.

Yes, I contributed in 2014 and 2015 to my spousal IRA. Current balance is 11,474.90. I do not have any IRA's. This is a separate Vanguard account for me. So there have been some earnings on it.

We did just open a non-deductible IRA in my husbands Vanguard account and transferred 5K into the sweep account for it about a month ago. Yesterday, I transferred it back to our savings because it seemed like a mess to deal with it due to taxes.

My husband has the rollover IRA which has a the balance of $460,540.50.

So, it is a go for me to do the Roth, correct? Can I do this myself through Vanguard or do I call?

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:51 am

money$$money$$money wrote:Yes, I contributed in 2014 and 2015 to my spousal IRA. Current balance is 11,474.90. I do not have any IRA's.
The above two sentences contradict each other, so they both cannot be correct.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:54 am

money$$money$$money wrote:We did just open a non-deductible IRA in my husbands Vanguard account and transferred 5K into the sweep account for it about a month ago. Yesterday, I transferred it back to our savings because it seemed like a mess to deal with it due to taxes.
If your husband was younger, this could have resulted in a 10% early withdrawal penalty, but he is not younger, so no penalty.

I suggest you SLOW DOWN and DO NOTHING until you learn some things. Maybe by December you will have learned enough to not make rash money movements that will cost you more in taxes and penalties than you expected.

Topic Author
money$$money$$money

Post by money$$money$$money » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:15 am

livesoft wrote:
money$$money$$money wrote:Yes, I contributed in 2014 and 2015 to my spousal IRA. Current balance is 11,474.90.

Topic Author
money$$money$$money

Post by money$$money$$money » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:19 am

money$$money$$money wrote:
livesoft wrote:
money$$money$$money wrote:Yes, I contributed in 2014 and 2015 to my spousal IRA. Current balance is 11,474.90.
Thanks for pointing that out. It should have stated no other personal IRA's from employment, just the spousal account.

Topic Author
money$$money$$money

Post by money$$money$$money » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:28 am

livesoft wrote:
money$$money$$money wrote:We did just open a non-deductible IRA in my husbands Vanguard account and transferred 5K into the sweep account for it about a month ago. Yesterday, I transferred it back to our savings because it seemed like a mess to deal with it due to taxes.
If your husband was younger, this could have resulted in a 10% early withdrawal penalty, but he is not younger, so no penalty.

I suggest you SLOW DOWN and DO NOTHING until you learn some things. Maybe by December you will have learned enough to not make rash money movements that will cost you more in taxes and penalties than you expected.

Thanks for the info. I didn't understand that the IRA sweep account was looked at as being "invested" in the IRA. I looked at it like a holding place, like savings, until you made an actual purchase in the IRA.

Chadnudj

Post by Chadnudj » Fri Jul 24, 2015 11:54 am

money$$money$$money wrote:Bill:

Yes, I am aware of that. Precisely the reason he is waiting to start taking SS until age 70 is to obtain the largest amount. We sat down and actually did the math on that, and because of our son and our age difference it made the most sense toward helping me in the future being alone. I think he needs to live 8 yrs drawing it at the higher rate to make up for the years he opted not to take it. Something like that.

I think the 50% benefit for our son and myself is only upon my husbands death. My son would collect until a certain age, and I could collect while I am his caretaker.

I think "file and suspend" is a separate scenario, where the wife who retires collects on the husbands higher SS, rather than own her own, until he retires himself and that way the full amount is still received by both husband and wife. Damm, I typed that like I knew what I was talking about. I may not, ha!

Wait, I think you're missing the point. If your husband files and suspends for Social Security NOW, I believe both you AND your son can get paid Social Security, up until the time your son turns 18. That's 5 years of Social Security benefits payable to YOU and YOUR SON (best placed in his college savings fund)....there's no reason to wait three years until 70 to file when you and your son are missing out on Social Security payments NOW.

And the 50% benefit is NOT only upon your husband's death. My dad reached Social Security age when my youngest brother was still under 18 -- they were able to collect the 50% benefit for quite a number of years until my brother reached 18, while my father was alive.

Topic Author
money$$money$$money

Post by money$$money$$money » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:06 pm

Chadnudj wrote:
money$$money$$money wrote:Bill:

Wait, I think you're missing the point. If your husband files and suspends for Social Security NOW, I believe both you AND your son can get paid Social Security, up until the time your son turns 18. That's 5 years of Social Security benefits payable to YOU and YOUR SON (best placed in his college savings fund)....there's no reason to wait three years until 70 to file when you and your son are missing out on Social Security payments NOW.

And the 50% benefit is NOT only upon your husband's death. My dad reached Social Security age when my youngest brother was still under 18 -- they were able to collect the 50% benefit for quite a number of years until my brother reached 18, while my father was alive.
Wow, I'm going to check into this. Thanks so much for the post.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Fri Jul 24, 2015 12:17 pm

money$$money$$money wrote:So, it is a go for me to do the Roth, correct? Can I do this myself through Vanguard or do I call?
No, it is not a go for you to do the Roth. One needs to understand the eligibility requirements, the income requirements, the penalties that could apply if one does something not allowed, and so on.

It is possible that you could do a backdoor Roth IRA, but you may not wish to because of the taxes it would create for you.

Your spousal IRA may also have been a non-deductible traditional IRA. You will need to research the income limits and whether your family was over the income limits when you made the contributions. Perhaps you did not deduct the contributions from your taxes anyways. Only you know what you did, when you did it, and what is on your tax returns, and whether you filed Form 8606 or not.

HopeToGolf

Post by HopeToGolf » Sat Jul 25, 2015 6:06 am

Nice job on the savings. $120k on $250k income is awesome.

As noted above, run FireCalc. You are doing a good job with the Investment side of the equation but knowing your expenses in retirement and income will give you and your husband valuable information.

Lastly, can you work outside the home and generate income?

If FireCalc says you both can retire and you have enough income, great but keep in mind that we are in the midst of a nice run on stocks and bonds