"total ordinary dividends" vs VG transaction history amount

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
hudson4351

"total ordinary dividends" vs VG transaction history amount

Post by hudson4351 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:19 pm

I invested some money into the Vanguard Total International Stock Fund (VTIAX) in a new taxable account late last year and only collected the 4th quarter dividend. On my 1099-DIV for tax year 2014, the "Total ordinary dividends" for this fund is listed as $314.59, yet when I go to my transaction history on Vanguard's website, the only 2014 dividend I collected was for only $297.99. What is the source of this difference? I know the amount is not large (this time), but I'd like to understand where the difference comes from just for my own benefit.

To contrast, I also own Vanguard Total Stock Market Index (VTSAX) in the same taxable account. In this case, the "Total ordinary dividends" listed on the same 1099-DIV exactly matches what is shown in Vanguard's transaction history, and is equal to the Q4 dividend paid out for VTSAX.

Why does "Total ordinary dividends" match what is shown in Vanguard's transaction history for VTSAX, but not VTIAX?

These funds are common enough that I figure someone on here must know the answer.

Thanks

Majormajor78

Re: "total ordinary dividends" vs VG transaction history amo

Post by Majormajor78 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 6:44 pm

Not sure but... what does your 1099 say for foreign tax paid?
"Oh, M. le Comte, it is only a loss of money which I have sustained... nothing worth mentioning, I assure you."

livesoft

Re: "total ordinary dividends" vs VG transaction history amo

Post by livesoft » Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:09 pm

Majormajor78 has the answer: You paid foreign taxes on the dividends and only received the net after tax dividends. The Total US Stock Market fund doesn't pay any foreign taxes. Can you see why that's the case?
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.