Another SSA question.

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Hexdump

Another SSA question.

Post by Hexdump » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:53 am

I am asking for a friend with this situation. Lets call her wife 2 (W2)

She is married to a man (age 62) who is some 20 years older than she. He had been married before and his ex-wife (W1, age 65) is claiming that she can claim SSA benefits because she was married to him for at least 10 years and she had not remarried.. They were married for about 13 years. My readings say that apparently this so.
Anyhow, on to my friend W2. Does the fact that W1 can claim SSA, have any effect on the amount my friend (W2) could potentially receive based upon her husbands account ?

And to carry the question even further, what if this old fuddy (the husband), had married 3 or 4 times. W3, W4, Wn. Would each be able to claim against his benefits ?
It seems to me that there would be a limit somewhere.

ResearchMed

Re: Another SSA question.

Post by ResearchMed » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:56 am

Hexdump wrote:I am asking for a friend with this situation. Lets call her wife 2 (W2)

She is married to a man (age 62) who is some 20 years older than she. He had been married before and his ex-wife (W1, age 65) is claiming that she can claim SSA benefits because she was married to him for at least 10 years and she had not remarried.. They were married for about 13 years. My readings say that apparently this so.
Anyhow, on to my friend W2. Does the fact that W1 can claim SSA, have any effect on the amount my friend (W2) could potentially receive based upon her husbands account ?

And to carry the question even further, what if this old fuddy (the husband), had married 3 or 4 times. W3, W4, Wn. Would each be able to claim against his benefits ?
It seems to me that there would be a limit somewhere.
No limit on W2 due to W1's benefits.
The benefits are not linked, except to the extent that they are linked though Husband.

There is a limit: Each spouse must be married for at least 10 years, so that means maybe 4,5, or 6 spousal benefits at max, if carefully "planned" :shock:

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

Post by 123 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:37 am

SSA has a payment limit called a "Family Maximum" which is linked to the Primary Insurance Amount. The family maximum is the most that SSA will pay monthly. While a wife, or child, can receive up to half of the PIA (if the worker is living) SSA will not pay more then the family maximum. When there are multiple claimants on the same worker there may be some reduction for the family maximum. For example a disabled worker with 2 kids won't get any more if they get a 3rd kid, the benefits will just get divided up more.

The benefits to divorced wives, under the 10 year marriage rule, are paid outside the family maximum. This means that an ex-wife could potentially get a higher payment as a divorced wife then the worker's current wife (if there is also a child receiving benefits). The current wife's benefit may be limited by the family maximum whereas the divorced wife's benefit is not.
The closest helping hand is at the end of your own arm.

joebh

Post by joebh » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:39 am

Hexdump wrote:Anyhow, on to my friend W2. Does the fact that W1 can claim SSA, have any effect on the amount my friend (W2) could potentially receive based upon her husbands account ?
No.
There is no impact on W2 at all.

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:46 am

Additionally, to my understanding, there is no requirement that information pass between the exes. My first wife, to whom I was married for more than 10 years, can file/not file on my record, and I won't know (or care) about it. I also don't think that she needs any information from me.
Zero Net Carbon by 2019.

Hexdump

Post by Hexdump » Fri Mar 20, 2015 10:10 am

As an item of information from a reliable source (thank you SS), the divorced wives can also claim widow benefits.