how often do you check performance?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
Timon0201

how often do you check performance?

Post by Timon0201 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:25 pm

So last year i created my vanguard diverse index fund portfolio, but i catch myself checking performance on my portfolio's daily against other funds with similar allocations. I think the fact that I picked the portfolio myself gives me anxiety.

just curious how often most bogleheads check how their portfolio's are doing?

any words of wisdom on how to relax?

Thanks!

DSInvestor

Re: how often do you check performance?

Post by DSInvestor » Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:28 pm

Do not watch TV news shows or finance channels.
Wiki

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:29 pm

Every 2 seconds or so. Why else would one want an Apple watch?

Wait a minute, were you talking about an investment portfolio? Then, nevermind.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius » Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:36 pm

Maybe a couple of times a year. Yes, if the stock market is in the process of plunging, more often than that.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.

galeno

Post by galeno » Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:42 pm

Once per year when we take our AWR and rebalance. Always in late Dec or early Jan. As close to the new year as possible.
AA = 40/55/5. Expected CAGR = 3.8%. GSD (5y) = 6.2%. USD inflation (10 y) = 1.8%. AWR = 4.0%. TER = 0.4%. Port Yield = 2.82%. Term = 33 yr. FI Duration = 6.0 yr. Portfolio survival probability = 95%.

Sheepdog

Post by Sheepdog » Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:50 pm

Curiosity says daily for me, but I know not to panic. I "stay the course". Besides, my wife always asks "How did we do today." I lie sometimes.
Just because it isn't your fault doesn't mean it isn't your responsibility....Josh Reid Jones

Sidney

Post by Sidney » Tue Mar 17, 2015 2:54 pm

Timon0201 wrote:checking performance on my portfolio's daily against other funds
Never
I always wanted to be a procrastinator.

cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:02 pm

I don't compare myself to other funds. But at the end of each month I total up my investments and compare them to the benchmark I established for myself when I retired.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.

bcjb

Post by bcjb » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:07 pm

Sidney wrote:
Timon0201 wrote:checking performance on my portfolio's daily against other funds
Never
+1

I check the balance every month, but that's to confirm that the deductions etc were deposited.

Userdc

Post by Userdc » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:24 pm

I check balances daily and performance relative to benchmarks, never.

Aptenodytes

Post by Aptenodytes » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:28 pm

I calculate performance once a month. Probably for no good reason.
I compare it to other portfolios once a year, when the forum elicits end-of-year performance reports. Also little point to it.
I've never found any other standard portfolio worth comparing to mine. Mine's too different.

Dandy

Post by Dandy » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:33 pm

Since almost all my investments are in VG index or quasi index funds I don't compare their performance to other funds. I don't even focus on overall portfolio percentage performance - do look at dollar value of portfolio fairly frequently. A few times a year look at how each fund is doing YTD.

If you have active funds maybe comparing them to other active funds is more warranted but if you own them in taxable accounts there may be a tax price to pay to shift funds.

JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM » Tue Mar 17, 2015 3:37 pm

It used to be very infrequently and now it's almost daily. The reason being that in February I invested in a short term corporate bond fund and then deposited an equal portion with Ally at 1% so now they are racing against each other. The tortoise is in the lead right now. :moneybag
Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple. -Dr. Seuss

chessmannextmove

Post by chessmannextmove » Tue Mar 17, 2015 4:01 pm

About 12 times a day

anotherITguy

Post by anotherITguy » Tue Mar 17, 2015 6:59 pm

I calculate my net worth bi-monthly, on paydays.

Toons

Post by Toons » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:32 pm

A few times a year :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee

Mr. Digweed

Post by Mr. Digweed » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:37 pm

"...how to relax"....

Mindful meditation

macheta

Post by macheta » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:51 pm

Does checking performance daily frequency cause unnecessary stress to your health?

LowER

Post by LowER » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:04 pm

Userdc wrote:I check balances daily and performance relative to benchmarks, never.
+1

ShiftF5

Post by ShiftF5 » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:12 pm

chessmannextmove wrote:About 12 times a day
I used to be the "12times a day" guy and I realized if the market was down, I got grumpy.

Now I actively block market information during the day and feel much better.

LowER

Post by LowER » Tue Mar 17, 2015 8:13 pm

macheta wrote:Does checking performance daily frequency cause unnecessary stress to your health?
No, it's comforting, even when it's going down. I hit zero NW in mid-late 40's after being in the red (several 6 figures after personal and business divorce) for a handful of years.

Seeing the overall growth rate (and even just seeing that there's anything there) is, well, comforting.

It also feels like finding a security breach sooner rather than later would be prudent, but that's probably just my optimism talking.

I get it though. If a friend told me they checked that often I would tell them to stop. Life is funny sometimes.

scotthal

Post by scotthal » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:21 pm

I log on daily after 7pm EST to check 'Last login', 'Recent transactions', & 'Total assets'. Helps control the paranoia, & is enough to alert me to a possible AA trigger. Performance ain't an issue.
Growtch, grinch; paranoid contrarian

kolea

Post by kolea » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:10 am

A watched pot never boils.

Here is what you should do. Watch it like a hawk every day. Multiple times a day. After about 5 years of that you will one day realize that there is no point in watching it as it is going to do whatever it wants regardless of you hovering over it, you will be sick of worrying about it, and you give up. And then in 25 years or so you will finally take a look at it and see a big pile of money. :)
Kolea (pron. ko-lay-uh). Golden plover.

dewey

Post by dewey » Wed Mar 18, 2015 12:17 am

I check it regularly to track AA. I log the bottom line on the last trading day of each month as a routine marker. I never let the trends affect my actions--I stay the course. Knowing what my portfolio is doing doesn't seem like an irrational behavior.
“The only freedom that is of enduring importance is freedom of intelligence…”

letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:00 am

About every 2-3 months I total up to check on progress against long term goals. I never compare to a benchmark. I have enough confidence in indexing to not worry self over what could only be tracking error.

Now when I go on vacation for 1-2 weeks without access to the news, I don't even blink. It's a lot of progress from 15 years ago.

Confuscious

Post by Confuscious » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:54 am

My gf reminds me of my performance once.. I mean :oops:

I follow the market and read financial news. I check account once a month or so. I figure I need to get used to the information and learn to live with it. The more acclimated I become now the easier it will be in the future to stay the course.

Woodshark

Post by Woodshark » Wed Mar 18, 2015 5:50 am

I check a couple of times a week. Not to compare to any model, since I do not have one. It's usually just a quick look to see what the total of all our accounts together is doing. My wife is retiring in two months. We will be selling our house and moving to another state so there is a lot of change in our near future. I guess I look at the balances just to reassure myself, once again, that we can really do this.

Hallman

Post by Hallman » Wed Mar 18, 2015 6:27 am

Bull market - pretty much every day.
Bear market - Never, I lose interest. I don't think about the markets/my portfolio at all.

midareff

Post by midareff » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:24 am

I take a peek at the end of the day on M* frequently for entertainment. Bank and credit card accounts are looked at a couple times a month to make sure a fox hasn't gotten into the hen house. Monthly I keep records of distributions, reinvestments, transfers to bank, etc., and compare balances/performance against previous year, 2 years. Annually I review everything owned and/or budgeted and make any adjustments necessary, including Turbo Tax forecasts for established the coming years EFTPS transfers.

rkhusky

Post by rkhusky » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:35 am

I compute our asset allocation every couple of weeks.

dolphinsaremammals

Post by dolphinsaremammals » Wed Mar 18, 2015 7:55 am

I update my offline account balances once a month, partly to make sure nothing has been hacked. I have Excel formulas in there to see how things are doing compared to the beginning of the year and how the total is doing long term. I don't do anything about it, though, except maybe tighten my spending if I don't like the total. Paying attention on a day to day basis is a good way to stress out and almost a guarantee of making wrong decisions.

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:59 am

Hallman wrote:Bull market - pretty much every day.
Bear market - Never, I lose interest. I don't think about the markets/my portfolio at all.
There's definitely some truth to that! It's the same way with my sports teams. If they're winning, I can't get enough coverage. If they're losing, I don't want to read about it.

walletless

Post by walletless » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:00 am

I do check often (once a day), but not because of any anxiety. I check it for two reasons:

1) PersonalCapital.com has a very nice android widget which makes it easy to glance and see how you performed compared to few benchmark indices. It takes about 10 seconds and they send a push notification around 4pm PST if enabled.

2) Try and find potential for tax loss harvesting -- especially during bear markets or RBD (no set definition... but around 1.5% or so most times). Right now, for instance, I am following emerging markets closely to see if I suffer enough loss (3000+ for me makes it worth the effort) to TLH.

I have trained my "stay the course" gun well, and have no trouble sticking to my plan through bull and bear markets.
If it helps with peace of mind (since you said that you are more anxious due to the fact that you picked your own AA), a validation from the fine bogleheads might help. Post your portfolio on a separate thread and let us evaluate.
Last edited by walletless on Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

goingup

Post by goingup » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:40 am

I find it's OK to check daily. It's not OK to tinker or fiddle. In a diverse portfolio something is always winning and something is losing. Become immune to the gyrations!

What works for me, having begun investing in earnest in 2000, is to automate saving. Fewer decisions and better results.

ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:02 am

goingup wrote:I find it's OK to check daily. It's not OK to tinker or fiddle. In a diverse portfolio something is always winning and something is losing. Become immune to the gyrations!

What works for me, having begun investing in earnest in 2000, is to automate saving. Fewer decisions and better results.
This fits us, too.

At the start, when we took over from the MegaBrokers, in a few steps, I was already "watching", which is how I came to understand that things were not "as expected" (meaning, as they told us, etc.).

Then I started watching to make sure that I understood what we were doing on our own.

By doing that, including through 2007-2008, and then the nice (if occasionally bumpy) recovery, I've learned what some of the small (and larger) "gyrations" are like.

By observing how our portfolio reacts - or doesn't - to "the market" - we better understand "oh, right, that makes sense, given what's 'going on out there'", etc.

In a way, the ongoing exposure is like constant vaccinations (sorry - "ResearchMed" here :wink: ).

We don't need to panic that "something horrible and new is happening".
Likewise, of course, any major, quick moves up... we realize they may be fleeting, too.

It's the long term trajectory that matters.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.

Confused

Post by Confused » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:05 am

[Blanked for privacy]
Last edited by Confused on Fri Nov 06, 2015 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

ponyboy

Post by ponyboy » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:11 am

12 times a year...end of each month. I record what each account is then so I can see the ups/downs for the year.

William4u

Post by William4u » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:15 am

I watch the news, so it is hard not to have some idea of what is going on. However, I only check my accounts in any detail a couple of times a year.

mmmodem

Post by mmmodem » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:24 am

I check our Roths at least once a year to set our contribution for the year. Unfortunately, I have to check my 401k every two weeks because work matches with company stock. I have to transfer it out every paycheck. I am fully on board with stay the course and ignore the noise. I have better things to do than check money I won't see for another 3 decades.

fanmail

Post by fanmail » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:17 pm

::refresh::

JonnyDVM

Post by JonnyDVM » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:21 pm

jhfenton wrote:
There's definitely some truth to that! It's the same way with my sports teams. If they're winning, I can't get enough coverage. If they're losing, I don't want to read about it.
You definitely are not a Browns fan. We love to wallow in our misery with each other.
Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple. -Dr. Seuss

red5

Post by red5 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 2:59 pm

Once a week every week I update my spreadsheet with prices.

It has never led to any issues. I have never panicked, sold, bought, transferred, or anything else because of what I see. I have never felt bad because of a declining portfolio value but perhaps being decades away from retirement helps that. I don't even feel any kind of "high" when it goes up either. I feel just very neutral.

2comma

Post by 2comma » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:12 pm

Daily! What am I going to do? Nothing. I'll probably grow out of the habit but it hasn't happened yet. One thing I don't do is pay any attention to the financial media.
If I am stupid I will pay.

bengal22

Post by bengal22 » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:33 pm

I check daily because in an up market it is fun. And monthly I compare performance of portfolio to benchmarks - which is the Vanguard Target 2015 and also the coffeehouse and 3 fund portfolio on mudslingers(madsinger) reports. I think benchmarking is important because I do some tilting and I want to see if I am doing better or worse than a standard 3 fund
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley

jebmke

Post by jebmke » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:48 pm

bengal22 wrote:I check daily because in an up market it is fun. And monthly I compare performance of portfolio to benchmarks - which is the Vanguard Target 2015 and also the coffeehouse and 3 fund portfolio on mudslingers(madsinger) reports. I think benchmarking is important because I do some tilting and I want to see if I am doing better or worse than a standard 3 fund
You are better off not watching then. All you will see is tracking error. We tilted heavily for many years but we were fortunate that it was in a private pool that only reported once a year. Even then, the 90s were tough watching the tracking error even though it was just one look per year.
When you discover that you are riding a dead horse, the best strategy is to dismount.

tylerdurden

Post by tylerdurden » Wed Mar 18, 2015 3:52 pm

Very rarely. I will look at overall market performance on most days, check my accounts a few times a week (on Mint), and calculate my net worth on a monthly basis. Once in a while I'll look at YTD or long-term returns, but mainly out of curiosity; I never compare it with anything else.
"The things you own end up owning you." -TD

ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon » Wed Mar 18, 2015 4:17 pm

Timon0201 wrote: . . .i catch myself checking performance on my portfolio's daily against other funds with similar allocations. I think the fact that I picked the portfolio myself gives me anxiety.
I check our portfolio performance against others only when somebody starts one of those "what's your performance year to date" threads.
just curious how often most bogleheads check how their portfolio's are doing?
I check the portfolio daily. I just can't stop peeking. Fortunately I don't get the urge to tinker.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started

Wildebeest

Post by Wildebeest » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:38 pm

I am not going to act on it, so why check ? My IPS suggest to check once a year and not to make any adjustments.

Most days I am oblivious as to if the stock market is up or down.

There was a thread that suggested to check regularly to make sure, that your account has not been compromised and now I feel obligated to check my account once a month to see if no money was taken out.
The Golden Rule: One should treat others as one would like others to treat oneself.

rayson

Post by rayson » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:40 pm

Daily :oops:

jhfenton

Post by jhfenton » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:49 pm

JonnyDVM wrote:
jhfenton wrote:
You definitely are not a Browns fan. We love to wallow in our misery with each other.
Hah! Definitely not. I grew up in Texas and still have family there. I've been in Cincinnati for 30+ years (not counting college and law school). So it's a mix of Texas teams (Spurs, Cowboys, Rangers) and Cincinnati Teams (Reds, Bengals).