Shall I roll over my TIAA-CREF retirment account to Vanguard

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
xtallographer

Shall I roll over my TIAA-CREF retirment account to Vanguard

Post by xtallographer »

I have a tiaa-cref retirement account (Group Retirement Annuity (GRA) ), which was from my former employer.
Recently I feel Varguard is much better (lower ERs, better performance funds, and many discussions on this forum, etc).
Do you think it is worth to roll it over to vanguard?

I also have a TSP account from another former emploer, but I like TSP (G, C, F, I, S funds, very simple to manage).
If I also roll over TSP account, can I merge the two accounts (TIAA & TSP) into one Vanguard accounts?

thanks
The529guy

Re: Shall I roll over my TIAA-CREF retirment account to Vang

Post by The529guy »

ziweiguan wrote:I have a tiaa-cref retirement account (Group Retirement Annuity (GRA) ), which was from my former employer.
Recently I feel Varguard is much better (lower ERs, better performance funds, and many discussions on this forum, etc).
Do you think it is worth to roll it over to vanguard?
Do you keep any of your fixed income allocation in the TIAA Traditional Account? If so, what rate are you receiving? That is one big reason to keep funds with TIAA-CREF.
ziweiguan wrote:I also have a TSP account from another former emploer, but I like TSP (G, C, F, I, S funds, very simple to manage).
If I also roll over TSP account, can I merge the two accounts (TIAA & TSP) into one Vanguard accounts?
Why not rollover your TIAA-CREF and Vanguard stock allocation into the TSP?
LAlearning

Post by LAlearning »

Don't roll the TSP.
I know nothing!
rkhusky

Post by rkhusky »

Yes, you can move everything to Vanguard.

The TSP has the well regarded G Fund that you might want to take advantage of.

You are only allowed one partial withdrawal from the TSP. And once you completely exit the TSP, you won't be able to get back in unless you get another government job.

The TSP's I Fund has some shortcomings (no small int'l, no emerging markets, no Canada). If you stick with TSP, you might want some funds at Vanguard to shore up these holes.
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

I will just answer this simply by saying "I did." Or more correctly, about half of my TIAA-CREF retirement account were in types of variable annuity accounts that could be cashed out, and I cashed them out and moved them to Vanguard. (The other half was in a traditional account that only had two options, a ten-payment "transfer payout annuity" which I used on about 1/4 of it, and a lifetime contract, which I converted 3/4 of it).

From what I've heard of TSP if I had a TSP account I'd stay put, unless I really had an overpoweringly strong urge to simplify and consolidate.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
Aptenodytes

Post by Aptenodytes »

There's no point keeping anything at TIAA CREF except for a traditional annuity and possibly a Real Estate holding. Anything else should be moved to vanguar

The cost principle yields this conclusion.

I moved everything but my TRAD to vanguard. I still put new contributions into the TRAD but that's not applicable in your case.
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

Regarding, your TIAA-CREF funds going to Vanguard, I would say perhaps some of it but not all of it.
You can't get guaranteed 3% to 3.5% growth at VG like you can with TIAA Traditional.
And you certainly can't get low volatility TREA, 10-12% growth lately, anywhere else.
Plus, if you choose to annuitize a portion of your assets for lifetime income, I feel T-C has better options.

But with T-C mutual funds and CREF VAs, you may want to compare performance after expenses at M*. Vanguard may well have superior mid cap funds, for instance.

Note, I have significant assets with both companies. I'm also fortunate to have the lowest ER classes with my funds at T-C. Not everybody does...
Last edited by The Wizard on Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Attempted new signature...
just frank

Post by just frank »

Aptenodytes wrote:There's no point keeping anything at TIAA CREF except for a traditional annuity and possibly a Real Estate holding. Anything else should be moved to vanguard
I have TIAA and Vanguard, and like the TIAA-Real Estate fund (at least these days). But not all TIAA accounts have access to TREA. My wife's doesn't. :annoyed
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

For amusement, I compared S&P 500 index funds at TIAA-CREF and Vanguard.
The Institutional Class TISPX fund at T-C (which I have access to) has an ER of 0.06%, which is pretty good.
Their Retirement Class TRSPX fund has an ER of 0.31% which is NOT pretty good.

Vanguard's VFIAX admiral fund, of course, has an ER of just 0.05%.

And the one-year growth of $10,000 using Morningstar charts?
Vanguard's VFIAX WINS with $11,703!
TIAA-CREF's TISPX comes in with $10,692.

The 0.01% difference in ERs applied to an $11,000 balance is $11, which is EXACTLY the difference in return between those two horses...
The529guy

Post by The529guy »

just frank wrote:
Aptenodytes wrote:There's no point keeping anything at TIAA CREF except for a traditional annuity and possibly a Real Estate holding. Anything else should be moved to vanguard
I have TIAA and Vanguard, and like the TIAA-Real Estate fund (at least these days). But not all TIAA accounts have access to TREA. My wife's doesn't. :annoyed
Your wife is eligible to open a TIAA Investment Solutions IRA and buy TREA. I have done this. See my post about it here: http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... 0&t=142598

In fact, according to TIAA's rules, anyone who works for a school, nonprofit, or government entity - or who has a family member who does - can open an IRA with access to TREA. Even if they are not a current TIAA client through their work.
just frank

Post by just frank »

Thanks for the info 529guy!

My coffee hasn't kicked in yet, so a stupid question.....

can I open an Investment Solutions IRA and then transfer existing funds from her 403(b) into it, or only new funds?

I think TREA is v appealing now, but its not clear I will feel the same in the more distant future required to build up an sizeable separate IRA.
Beth*

Post by Beth* »

I would just caution that if you ever might want to do a backdoor Roth IRA, you don't want to move 403(b) pre-tax money to a traditional IRA.

I have TIAA-CREF accounts from my current employer and a small one from a previous employer. I have thought about rolling the account from the previous employer over to Vanguard (I am prohibited from rolling over the accounts with my current employer) but have not because I do a backdoor Roth IRA every year and the advantages of moving the money to Vanguard do not outweigh the disadvantages of not doing the backdoor Roth IRA. I will probably roll some of the money over after I retire and my income goes down so I will have no further need to do a backdoor Roth IRA. However, I like some of the TIAA-CREF accounts and I want to leave open the option of purchasing an annuity through them (neither my husband nor I will get a traditional pension) so I doubt I'll ever roll it all over to Vanguard. As other people have noted, the TIAA traditional and real estate accounts do not have equivalents at Vanguard.
Topic Author
xtallographer

Post by xtallographer »

Beth* wrote:I would just caution that if you ever might want to do a backdoor Roth IRA, you don't want to move 403(b) pre-tax money to a traditional IRA.

I have TIAA-CREF accounts from my current employer and a small one from a previous employer. I have thought about rolling the account from the previous employer over to Vanguard (I am prohibited from rolling over the accounts with my current employer) but have not because I do a backdoor Roth IRA every year and the advantages of moving the money to Vanguard do not outweigh the disadvantages of not doing the backdoor Roth IRA. I will probably roll some of the money over after I retire and my income goes down so I will have no further need to do a backdoor Roth IRA. However, I like some of the TIAA-CREF accounts and I want to leave open the option of purchasing an annuity through them (neither my husband nor I will get a traditional pension) so I doubt I'll ever roll it all over to Vanguard. As other people have noted, the TIAA traditional and real estate accounts do not have equivalents at Vanguard.
Thank you for all your inputs. Nice to have so many comments over a night.
I should have said more clearly, that I have two accounts at TIAA-CREF, current employer (75K) and former employer (25K). the TSP only has 6K (a short period working at government), all in G fund now.
I was thinking about transferring the 25K TIAA-CREF to vanguard, now I have options to vanguard or TSP. I could not find the ER for each fund of TSP, except an average ER of 0.029% for year 2013.
I will read all replies one more time more carefully, because all sudden a lot of information.

Another question, about the backdoor Roth IRA. This is for people will high income, right?
The money in the TIAA-CREF was pre-tax, how can it be transferred to a Roth IRA which should only allow after-tax money?
Beth*

Post by Beth* »

ziweiguan wrote:The money in the TIAA-CREF was pre-tax, how can it be transferred to a Roth IRA which should only allow after-tax money?
You would need to pay tax on the money at the time you moved it to a Roth IRA. If you are in a low tax bracket, and you can afford the tax, this may be worthwhile doing so that any future earnings on the money is tax free. It's generally recommended if you expect your tax bracket in retirement to be as higher or as high as your current tax bracket. If you expect your tax bracket in retirement to be lower than your current tax bracket and you are anywhere close to retirement you probably want to wait and pay taxes on the pre-tax money after you retire rather than rolling it over to a Roth IRA now.
The529guy

Post by The529guy »

just frank wrote:Thanks for the info 529guy!

My coffee hasn't kicked in yet, so a stupid question.....

can I open an Investment Solutions IRA and then transfer existing funds from her 403(b) into it, or only new funds?

I think TREA is v appealing now, but its not clear I will feel the same in the more distant future required to build up an sizeable separate IRA.
If the plan permits in-service rollovers. In my situation, I did a rollover from Vanguard Roth IRA to TIAA Roth IRA.
610gpm

Post by 610gpm »

I recently made the decision to move stocks and bonds from TIAA-CREF to Vanguard. Two contracts have already made their way into the VG account, and a third is on its way. For now, though, I am keeping Real Estate and Traditional where they are (gotta love those guarantees).
Topic Author
xtallographer

Post by xtallographer »

by reading the replies above, I have an impression that many people like TIAA traditional & TIAA Real Estate fund.
for my current employer TIAA account ($75K), maybe I can put some in Traditional and the rest in TIAA Real Estate,
and include them in my calculation for overall portfolio?
May I ask what the advantages of the TIAA real estate than other funds? Thanks
just frank

Post by just frank »

I think most around here would say putting your whole equity AA in TREA would be a no-no.

To me, the advantage is that you get returns that track REITs, with two key differences...(1) is that it has lower returns than REITs (2) it has MUCH lower short term volatility that REITs.

For Example: http://www.advisorperspectives.com/dsho ... Estate.php

I think of it as a REIT fund where the owners are passing the REIT price through a low-pass filter (like a 200 DMA), and keeping some of the returns in exchange. I figure TREA can crash (it did in 2009) and it can have some decent one day drops/gains (much smaller than REITs or other equities), BUT unless REITS have been collapsing for 2-6 mos, I don't worry about it.

I consider it my SWAN money, it is currently earning 12% pa, and I check the REIT market every month or two.
tibbitts

Post by tibbitts »

ziweiguan wrote:by reading the replies above, I have an impression that many people like TIAA traditional & TIAA Real Estate fund.
for my current employer TIAA account ($75K), maybe I can put some in Traditional and the rest in TIAA Real Estate,
and include them in my calculation for overall portfolio?
May I ask what the advantages of the TIAA real estate than other funds? Thanks
It has some advantages and some disadvantages. Notably, TIAA has made the RE fund intentionally less diversified in recent years, which at least to me is disappointing. There were clearly shortcomings in the way the fund was designed prior to the downturn it took in 2009, and it appears that they've only been partly addressed (with more frequent appraisals, etc.)

The advantage is that some of the equity market risk of a REIT doesn't apply, except to the extent that the TIAA fund invests in REITs.
ResearchMed

Post by ResearchMed »

just frank wrote:I think most around here would say putting your whole equity AA in TREA would be a no-no.

To me, the advantage is that you get returns that track REITs, with two key differences...(1) is that it has lower returns than REITs (2) it has MUCH lower short term volatility that REITs.

For Example: http://www.advisorperspectives.com/dsho ... Estate.php

I think of it as a REIT fund where the owners are passing the REIT price through a low-pass filter (like a 200 DMA), and keeping some of the returns in exchange. I figure TREA can crash (it did in 2009) and it can have some decent one day drops/gains (much smaller than REITs or other equities), BUT unless REITS have been collapsing for 2-6 mos, I don't worry about it.

I consider it my SWAN money, it is currently earning 12% pa, and I check the REIT market every month or two.
Interesting way to describe it ("like a 200 DMA").

We use it pretty much as our "bond equivalent" fund, but watch it like a hawk (in case another 2008 comes a'callin').

To OP: If you consider using TREA, make sure you are fully aware of the restrictions.
There is a limit on how much you can plop in there as simple deposits. (There are other ways to add more, if you are interested in that amount.)
IMPORTANTLY, there are restrictions on withdrawing. Currently, one can withdraw any amount, but only ONCE per quarter.

So if you go this route and then want to withdraw some (but not all), you might consider doing it at the end of a quarter. Then, once the new quarter starts, you have the flexibility to withdraw more, should you need to do so.

RM
This signature is a placebo. You are in the control group.
Topic Author
xtallographer

Post by xtallographer »

If I stay with TIAA-CREF, can anyone recommend some funds (like 5:4:1 for stocks/international stocks/bond)?
or based on the Funds and ERs, it is better to roll over to vanguard or TSP? Thanks.

Some people mentioned TIAA real estate, but the ER is 0.87%, not low.

Current employer account ($75K):
CREF Stock 0.46
CREF Global Equities 0.47
CREF Growth 0.42
CREF Equity Index 0.39
TIAA Access International Equity Index Fund T1 0.88
TIAA Access Large-Cap Growth Index Fund T1 0.85
TIAA Access S&P 500 Index Fund T1 0.16
TIAA Access Large-Cap Value Index Fund T1 0.17
TIAA Access Small-Cap Blend Index Fund T1 0.91
TIAA Access-American Funds Euro Pacific Growth T1 0.64
TIAA Access-T. Rowe Price Institutional Large Cap Growth T1 0.56
TIAA Access Vanguard Selected Value T1 0.54
TIAA Real Estate 0.87
CREF Bond Market 0.45
CREF Inflation-Linked Bond 0.41
TIAA Access Bond Index T1
CREF Money Market 0.40
TIAA Access Money Market Fund T1
CREF Social Choice 0.41

Former employer account ($25K):
CREF Stock 0.46
CREF Global Equities 0.47
CREF Growth 0.42
CREF Equity Index 0.39
TIAA-CREF Small-Cap Equity Fund - Institutional Class 0.55
TIAA-CREF Small-Cap Blend Index Fund - Institutional Class 0.16
Vanguard Mid Cap Index Institutional Share Class 0.08
American Funds EuroPacific Growth Fund - R6 0.49
Vanguard Total International Stock Index Institutional Class 0.12
American Funds Washington Mutual Investors Fund R6 0.30
Vanguard Institutional Index I 0.04
CREF Bond Market 0.45
Vanguard Total Bond Market Index Institutional Share Class 0.07
BlackRock Inflation Protected Bond Portfolio Blackrock Class 0.32 (0.51 gross)
CREF Money Market 0.40
CREF Social Choice 0.41
TIAA-CREF Lifecycle 2010 Fund - Institutional Class 0.39/0.52 gross
TIAA-CREF Lifecycle 2015 Fund - Institutional Class 0.40/0.53 gross
TIAA-CREF Lifecycle 2020 Fund - Institutional Class 0.41/0.54 gross
TIAA-CREF Lifecycle 2025 Fund - Institutional Class 0.43/0.56 gross
TIAA-CREF Lifecycle 2030 Fund - Institutional Class 0.44/0.57 gross
TIAA-CREF Lifecycle 2035 Fund - Institutional Class 0.45/0.58 gross
TIAA-CREF Lifecycle 2040 Fund - Institutional Class 0.46/0.58 gross
TIAA-CREF Lifecycle 2045 Fund - Institutional Class 0.46/0.60 gross
TIAA-CREF Lifecycle 2050 Fund - Institutional Class 0.46/0.61 gross
TIAA-CREF Lifecycle Retirement Income Fund - Instl Class 0.38/0.55 gross
TIAA-CREF Lifecycle 2055 Fund - Institutional Class 0.46/0.78 gross
beardsworth

Post by beardsworth »

The Wizard wrote:

The 0.01% difference in ERs applied to an $11,000 balance is $11, which is EXACTLY the difference in return between those two horses...
Um, no. If you have the correct figures listed there, i.e., the return numbers themselves are correct and there are no typos in the post, the difference between $11,703 and $10,692 is $1,011, not $11. Which--considering the negligible difference in expense ratios--would indicate a substantial underperformance by the TIAA-CREF vehicle. If the figures shown are correct.
flyingbison

Post by flyingbison »

Aptenodytes wrote:There's no point keeping anything at TIAA CREF except for a traditional annuity and possibly a Real Estate holding. Anything else should be moved to vanguar

The cost principle yields this conclusion.
How do you know what the costs are for the funds available to the OP?
Topic Author
xtallographer

Post by xtallographer »

The529guy wrote: Do you keep any of your fixed income allocation in the TIAA Traditional Account? If so, what rate are you receiving? That is one big reason to keep funds with TIAA-CREF.
here is the rate of my TIAA Traditional fund. Seems not bad.

Topic Author
xtallographer

Post by xtallographer »

are these funds good? They have very low ERs. Other funds' ERs are really high.

The following two are both based on total stocks, aren't they?
TIAA Access S&P 500 Index Fund T1 0.16
TIAA Access Large-Cap Value Index Fund T1 0.17

which ones from the below are considered good to you?
TIAA-CREF Small-Cap Blend Index Fund - Institutional Class 0.16
Vanguard Mid Cap Index Institutional Share Class 0.08
Vanguard Total International Stock Index Institutional Class 0.12
Vanguard Institutional Index I 0.04
Vanguard Total Bond Market Index Institutional Share Class 0.07
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

beardsworth wrote:
The Wizard wrote:

Um, no. If you have the correct figures listed there, i.e., the return numbers themselves are correct and there are no typos in the post, the difference between $11,703 and $10,692 is $1,011, not $11. Which--considering the negligible difference in expense ratios--would indicate a substantial underperformance by the TIAA-CREF vehicle. If the figures shown are correct.
Good catch.
I screwed up with a typographic error...
need403bhelp

Post by need403bhelp »

The Wizard wrote:
beardsworth wrote:
The Wizard wrote:

Good catch.
I screwed up with a typographic error...
Interesting. I actually re-ran the exercise and my results suggest that TIAA-CREF is now completely on par with Vanguard or even very very slightly OVERperforming Vanguard when comparing the 0.01% ER difference????

TISPX, ER 0.05%, 1 yr growth to $11,786.53 (http://quotes.morningstar.com/chart/fun ... en-US&cur=)
VFIAX, ER 0.04%, 1 yr growth to $11,787.60 (http://quotes.morningstar.com/chart/fun ... ture=en-US)

$10,000 in TISPX is 99.9909% of $10,000 invested in VFIAX, but given difference in ERs should be at 99.99%, so over-performing by 0.0009%? (or just rounding error...)

Has TIAA-CREF caught up with Vanguard?
sawhorse

Post by sawhorse »

ziweiguan wrote:Some people mentioned TIAA real estate, but the ER is 0.87%, not low.
Ignore the ER for TIAA real estate. It's a unique fund in many ways, and you can't really draw conclusions about it based on the ER. The ER of the fund is not really comparable to the ER of a stock or bond fund.
MisterBill

Re: Shall I roll over my TIAA-CREF retirment account to Vanguard

Post by MisterBill »

I'm also considering what to do with my TIAA 403(b) from a university that I haven't worked at for 29 years. I'd always been pretty happy with their ER so I left it there, but looking at it now, they're definitely higher than I thought. I do not have access to TISPX that was mentioned earlier. Instead I have access to TIAA Access funds. The one that matches TISPX is TIAA Access Vanguard 500 Index Admiral (T1), but it has a 0.14% ER rather than 0.04% at Vanguard. Here's the complete list of index funds that are available and their ER's (there are also other funds and target date funds available):

TIAA Access Equity Index (T1) 0.15%
TIAA Access International Equity Index (T1) 0.16%
TIAA Access Large-Cap Growth Index (T1) 0.16%
TIAA Access Large-Cap Value Index (T1) 0.16%
TIAA Access S&P 500 Index (T1) 0.16%
TIAA Access Small-Cap Blend Index (T1) 0.23%
TIAA Access Vanguard 500 Index Admiral (T1) 0.14%
TIAA Access Vanguard Total Bond Market Index Adm (T1) 0.15%

The full prospectus is available here - http://www.tiaa.org/public/prospectuses ... class=TAVA

I also have some money in TIAA Traditional and the Real Estate Account, but maybe I should roll the rest of the money into an IRA elsewhere?
student

Post by student »

MisterBill wrote:I'm also considering what to do with my TIAA 403(b) from a university that I haven't worked at for 29 years. I'd always been pretty happy with their ER so I left it there, but looking at it now, they're definitely higher than I thought. I do not have access to TISPX that was mentioned earlier. Instead I have access to TIAA Access funds. The one that matches TISPX is TIAA Access Vanguard 500 Index Admiral (T1), but it has a 0.14% ER rather than 0.04% at Vanguard. Here's the complete list of index funds that are available and their ER's (there are also other funds and target date funds available):

TIAA Access Equity Index (T1) 0.15%
TIAA Access International Equity Index (T1) 0.16%
TIAA Access Large-Cap Growth Index (T1) 0.16%
TIAA Access Large-Cap Value Index (T1) 0.16%
TIAA Access S&P 500 Index (T1) 0.16%
TIAA Access Small-Cap Blend Index (T1) 0.23%
TIAA Access Vanguard 500 Index Admiral (T1) 0.14%
TIAA Access Vanguard Total Bond Market Index Adm (T1) 0.15%

The full prospectus is available here - http://www.tiaa.org/public/prospectuses ... class=TAVA

I also have some money in TIAA Traditional and the Real Estate Account, but maybe I should roll the rest of the money into an IRA elsewhere?
Since you haven't worked there for 29 years, I assume that this account corresponds to a small portion of your portfolio. Although the ER of these funds are more than what Vanguard would charge, they are not bad. But then again, every bit of savings is good. I personally like TIAA Traditional. So I would probably not roll this over but use this account for the sole purpose of buying TIAA Traditional, which I will count as fixed income.
MisterBill

Post by MisterBill »

student wrote: Since you haven't worked there for 29 years, I assume that this account corresponds to a small portion of your portfolio. Although the ER of these funds are more than what Vanguard would charge, they are not bad. But then again, every bit of savings is good. I personally like TIAA Traditional. So I would probably not roll this over but use this account for the sole purpose of buying TIAA Traditional, which I will count as fixed income.
It's roughly 20% of my net worth and actually a little more than my current 401(k). Right now 20.7% of the account is in TIAA Traditional and 5.9% is in the Real Estate account. I was going to put the rest in index funds, right now it's in an assortment of stuff that an advisor there suggested when I was using their Wealth Management services for some taxable stuff a few years ago. Putting all of it in TIAA Traditional would be too much. If anything, it's a good substitute for the bond portion I would normally do there.
Last edited by MisterBill on Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MisterBill

Post by MisterBill »

So I called a TIAA guy that I used to work with when I used their Wealth Management services (not the WM guy but an admin person) and said they are still my reps even though I don't pay for their service. He told me something that I did not know, that as a former NY employee (City University of NY), my TIAA distributions are exempt from NY income tax, even beyond the normal NYS $20k pension exemption! So I guess I will be leaving my money alone and take distributions from there.
student

Post by student »

MisterBill wrote:So I called a TIAA guy that I used to work with when I used their Wealth Management services (not the WM guy but an admin person) and said they are still my reps even though I don't pay for their service. He told me something that I did not know, that as a former NY employee (City University of NY), my TIAA distributions are exempt from NY income tax, even beyond the normal NYS $20k pension exemption! So I guess I will be leaving my money alone and take distributions from there.
Thanks for the update.