do you use software to manage your AA??

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
nafreed

do you use software to manage your AA??

Post by nafreed » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:27 pm

I am wondering about how you keep an accurate snapshot regarding your asset allocations? I am looking for something that will allow me to periodically look at my portfolio and tell me when it is out of balance. Do you use spreadsheets? Web-based tool? Computer software? Morningstar Xray??

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

PiperWarrior

Post by PiperWarrior » Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:50 pm

I use a spreadsheet. I can look at my portfolio from any angle that I care about.

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:02 pm

I use M* Portfolio X-ray for asset allocation (not instant X-ray). You can see how to register for free at this link: http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/ ... post578722

I think the TRowePrice M* database is slightly different from the M* M* database. Maybe it's older?

I use MS Money as my financial management software, but it does a poor job of dealing with asset allocation.

bob90245

Re: do you use software to manage your AA??

Post by bob90245 » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:11 pm

I have an email account with Yahoo. And I use the same account to create and maintain my portfolio on Yahoo Finance. Then I select and copy the portfolio screen onto an Excel spreadsheet. This is the raw data. I have a second spreadsheet that is linked to the cells of the first spreadsheet. I then look at my asset allocation with the second spreadsheet.

Sounds more complicated and roundabout than it seems. I've been keeping track of my asset allocation in this manner for many years.

avalpert

Excel+

Post by avalpert » Wed Apr 02, 2008 2:16 pm

I do all my perosnal finance in Excel - and have a simple spreadsheet that automates both asset allocation and rebalancing across all my accounts.

I also use M* X-ray for the more detailed asset allocation ine-box numbers and other info.

I am curious if anyone knows a place where I could get updated nine box ditribution by fund so I could build that analysis into excel instead of using x-ray?

CyberBob

Post by CyberBob » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:43 pm

Have you ever checked out Vanguard's Portfolio Watch?
It's available when you log in and shows exact percentages of everything.

Bob

leonard

Post by leonard » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:46 pm

Excel
Leonard | | Market Timing: Do you seriously think you can predict the future? What else do the voices tell you? | | If employees weren't taking jobs with bad 401k's, bad 401k's wouldn't exist.

Midpack

Post by Midpack » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:25 pm

I use Excel. Most people vastly underestimate what they can do with Excel. If there's something you'd like in Excel that you don't have, if you haven't nosed around, you should explore all the Fx functions available. It's remarkable.

I look at VG portfolio watch from time to time and I've looked at M* X-ray once or twice. I can't imagine needing any more than these three tools, and mostly only Excel.
You only live once...

avalpert

Another data question

Post by avalpert » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:41 pm

In addition to the nine box allocation - does anyone know if you can use smart tag's in excel to retrieve mutual fund or etf quotes the way you for stock quotes?

Midpack

Re: Another data question

Post by Midpack » Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:49 pm

avalpert wrote:In addition to the nine box allocation - does anyone know if you can use smart tag's in excel to retrieve mutual fund or etf quotes the way you for stock quotes?
If I understand your question, check out Webquery. It will grab data from most financial websites. From my experience it grabs whole tables and not individual data as well, but I just land the data/table on a worksheet and then do my calcs on other worksheets ignoring the other data on the table that I don't want/need.
You only live once...

avalpert

That's perfect

Post by avalpert » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:08 pm

Midpack- thanks that is perfect. I'd never used that before. Now I can set it to import current fund values when I open and I can get my portfolio value in excel automatically.

SpringMan

Post by SpringMan » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:15 pm

CyberBob wrote:Have you ever checked out Vanguard's Portfolio Watch?

Bob
I use Portfolio Watch too but keep in mind it is anything but exact. It takes the predominant style box of a fund and classifies everything the fund holds as being in that style box.
Regards,
Best Wishes, SpringMan

gunn_show

Re: do you use software to manage your AA??

Post by gunn_show » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:56 pm

bob90245 wrote:I have an email account with Yahoo. And I use the same account to create and maintain my portfolio on Yahoo Finance. Then I select and copy the portfolio screen onto an Excel spreadsheet. This is the raw data. I have a second spreadsheet that is linked to the cells of the first spreadsheet. I then look at my asset allocation with the second spreadsheet.

Sounds more complicated and roundabout than it seems. I've been keeping track of my asset allocation in this manner for many years.
Unfortunately I am not an excel wizard, nor do I have any pre-formatted spreadsheet for stock tracking (if you do, PM me, thanks).

I use Google Finance to watch my stuff
"The best life hack of all is to just put the work in and never give up." Bas Rutten

Roscoe

Post by Roscoe » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:59 pm

SpringMan wrote: I use Portfolio Watch too but keep in mind it is anything but exact. It takes the predominant style box of a fund and classifies everything the fund holds as being in that style box.
Regards,
I don't know about that - it would seem to be useless if that were the case. If you open the detail links in the stock analysis tab it shows 9 box detail based on fund objective or on fund holdings by M* data, depending on whether it's a Vanguard fund or not. For instance, it breaks out Vanguard TSM as 65% largeblend, 27% mid blend, and 8% small blend. It also does this for non-vanguard funds, using M* data.
It will even break out the percentage of international holdings in a predominately domestic fund, and will
also classify individual stock holdings by market cap. The link that says
"View industry sectors dollar/percentage breakdown by holding" shows all of your fund holdings broken out by industry sector.

I think this is a pretty nice tool, but it doesn't seem to get much love on this forum. Click those blue links, there's a lot of data back there. The "learn more" links explain the data feeds.

baldeagle

Post by baldeagle » Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:58 pm

Quicken.

I use it for all our accounts (investing, IRAs, Roths, checking, savings) and those of both my adult kids. Quicken will manage many things, but I use it mostly for investing -- asset allocation and income monitoring -- and for overall expense tracking.

ruud

Post by ruud » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:31 pm

I use a Google Spreadsheet.

- Ruud

gunn_show

Post by gunn_show » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:53 am

ruud wrote:I use a Google Spreadsheet.

- Ruud
Ruud, please point me in the direction of where you got that from Google's site, thanks
"The best life hack of all is to just put the work in and never give up." Bas Rutten

CyberBob

Post by CyberBob » Thu Apr 03, 2008 12:39 pm

SpringMan wrote:
CyberBob wrote:Have you ever checked out Vanguard's Portfolio Watch?

Bob
I use Portfolio Watch too but keep in mind it is anything but exact. It takes the predominant style box of a fund and classifies everything the fund holds as being in that style box.
Regards,
Only on the main page. If you go to the sub-pages it lists things more precisely. For example, my Total Stock Market Index Fund is listed on the detail page as 65% large-cap, 27% mid-cap, 8% small-cap.

Bob

tat2ng

Post by tat2ng » Thu Apr 03, 2008 2:24 pm

tommy_gunn wrote:please point me in the direction of where you got that from Google's site, thanks
http://www.google.com/google-d-s/intl/en/tour1.html

Google docs - lets you create word files, spreadsheets, etc. and store them on Google's network, meaning you can access them from anywhere.

Thad

gunn_show

Post by gunn_show » Thu Apr 03, 2008 3:55 pm

tat2ng wrote:
tommy_gunn wrote:please point me in the direction of where you got that from Google's site, thanks
http://www.google.com/google-d-s/intl/en/tour1.html

Google docs - lets you create word files, spreadsheets, etc. and store them on Google's network, meaning you can access them from anywhere.

Thad
Yeah thanks, problem is I don't know what to create? I was looking more for a pre-made template that people use and just input their info and track.

Default User BR

Post by Default User BR » Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:56 pm

Midpack wrote:If I understand your question, check out Webquery. It will grab data from most financial websites.
Anybody using that with Wells Fargo? I didn't get it to work.

Brian

quicksilver

Asset Allocation template

Post by quicksilver » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:42 pm

Yeah thanks, problem is I don't know what to create? I was looking more for a pre-made template that people use and just input their info and track.[/quote]

I use Quicken but like you I would like to get a template, preferably for Excel.

quicksilver

Leif

Post by Leif » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:32 pm

livesoft wrote:I use M* Portfolio X-ray for asset allocation (not instant X-ray). You can see how to register for free at this link: http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/ ... post578722

I think the TRowePrice M* database is slightly different from the M* M* database. Maybe it's older?

I use MS Money as my financial management software, but it does a poor job of dealing with asset allocation.
The TRowePrice site is looking for a login name. I don't see where that is setup?

livesoft

Post by livesoft » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:47 pm

Please read more of thread that was linked. That is, maybe start at the beginning of that thread to find the link to TRPrice to use to get registered for free.

avalpert

Which part

Post by avalpert » Thu Apr 03, 2008 9:48 pm

Default - which page on wells fargo are you trying to link? You can use any unprotected page that uses tables to structure the data

Default User BR

Re: Which part

Post by Default User BR » Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:21 pm

avalpert wrote:Default - which page on wells fargo are you trying to link? You can use any unprotected page that uses tables to structure the data
My "positions" page, which has a nice table of holdings, value, cost basis, etc. Looking at it again, its URL is https://invmnt.wellsfargo.com/inv/positionAction.do, and looks like it's using Javascript to create the page. I'm guessing that it's not going to work that way.

It's not a huge deal. Right now I download that data in OFX format and run a little utility I wrote to create a CSV file that Excel can use.

Brian

LoopyGinJuice

Post by LoopyGinJuice » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:44 pm

Midpack wrote:
avalpert wrote:In addition to the nine box allocation - does anyone know if you can use smart tag's in excel to retrieve mutual fund or etf quotes the way you for stock quotes?
If I understand your question, check out Webquery. It will grab data from most financial websites. From my experience it grabs whole tables and not individual data as well, but I just land the data/table on a worksheet and then do my calcs on other worksheets ignoring the other data on the table that I don't want/need.
I had a question about portfolio tracking using live quotes. Is it possible to track total return that way? If I just track the value of a holding using current share price, it doesn't take reinvested dividends into account, does it?

I can see my actual account value and returns on Vanguard, but I wanted to use Excel to track its performance against a benchmark AA.

grabiner
Advisory Board

I use my own spreadsheet

Post by grabiner » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:52 pm

I wrote a spreadsheet which allows me to define my own asset classes, and adjusts for the different tax treatment of assets in different accounts. I have to enter the fund values manually, but I only check it when I am rebalancing or have new money to invest.

My asset allocation worksheet
Wiki David Grabiner

LoopyGinJuice

Post by LoopyGinJuice » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:33 pm

Hmm, I can write spreadsheets easily enough for rebalancing, but no tax implications since everything is in tax-deferred. I was mostly interested in regular monitoring of my funds in relation to two benchmark allocations I put together, though.

It seems Morningstar's portfolio manager can automatically search for fund distributions and enable you to reinvest or payout each one, which is nice. Does anyone use that? I can't seem to figure out how to view two portfolios at the same time or on the same graph. If I could, that would be perfect...

Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Re: Do you use software to manage your AA?? No.

Post by Taylor Larimore » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:53 pm

nafreed wrote:I am wondering about how you keep an accurate snapshot regarding your asset allocations? I am looking for something that will allow me to periodically look at my portfolio and tell me when it is out of balance. Do you use spreadsheets? Web-based tool? Computer software? Morningstar Xray??

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
Hold all your funds directly with Vanguard.

Our Vanguard statement shows the percentage of each fund in our portfolio. We can easily compare our current fund allocations with our desired fund allocations for any needed rebalancing.

Keep investing simple.

Best wishes
Taylor

jcompton

Post by jcompton » Wed Apr 09, 2008 11:09 pm

Roscoe wrote: It will even break out the percentage of international holdings in a predominately domestic fund, and will
also classify individual stock holdings by market cap. The link that says
"View industry sectors dollar/percentage breakdown by holding" shows all of your fund holdings broken out by industry sector.
Just noticed this thread after posting here but it's worth repeating that it may not get a lot of love because they're inconsistent about providing the breakdown for outside funds, even though M* has that information. I agree that Portfolio Watch should be great, but it could certainly stand to be more consistent and accurate.

rwwoods

Post by rwwoods » Thu Apr 10, 2008 7:49 am

I track my holdings in Quicken and download the data to an Excel file where I track my AA.
"I'm not so much concerned about the return on my money as the return of my money" - Will Rogers