VWINX a 1-Stop Shop? [Vanguard Wellesley]

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
TBillT

Re: VWINX a 1-Stop Shop? [Vanguard Wellesley]

Post by TBillT » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:00 am

AllieTB1323 wrote:
TBillT wrote:We have VWINX happy with it.

A more "Boglesque" similar fund (or "Sharpesque") might be Life Strategy Moderate Growth VSMGX, which is total market index. Believe performance is a notch above VWINX.

In Fidelity I use PONDX as a surrogate which seems to match VWINX
Given VWINX is basically 40 : 60 wouldn't a better comparison be VSCGX Life StrategyConservative Growth at the same approximate 40 :60?

If this is the case, according to Morningstar, then Wellesley seems to show superior returns.

BTW, we too own VWINX and are more than happy!
You might be correct. Life Strategy Moderate is probably more of a closer approximation to the Sharpe approach of owning the total index fund of the whole financial market of US+International stocks and bonds.

TBillT

Re: VWINX a 1-Stop Shop? [Vanguard Wellesley]

Post by TBillT » Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:03 am

AllieTB1323 wrote:
TBillT wrote:We have VWINX happy with it.

A more "Boglesque" similar fund (or "Sharpesque") might be Life Strategy Moderate Growth VSMGX, which is total market index. Believe performance is a notch above VWINX.

In Fidelity I use PONDX as a surrogate which seems to match VWINX
Given VWINX is basically 40 : 60 wouldn't a better comparison be VSCGX Life StrategyConservative Growth at the same approximate 40 :60?

If this is the case, according to Morningstar, then Wellesley seems to show superior returns.

BTW, we too own VWINX and are more than happy!
OK I guess Life Strategy Moderate is more like a Sharpe approach of a total market index fund. I am attracted to that idea as I have a lot of bonds anyways so I need more stock exposure. And the performance looks good for VSMGX.