Off-topic: 1099-DIV discrepancy on foreign funds

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
PatrickS

Off-topic: 1099-DIV discrepancy on foreign funds

Post by PatrickS »

All three of my Vanguard foreign funds (Pacific Stock Index, Emerging Mkts, and Tax-managed International) on the 1099-DIV show taxable distributions larger than what the dividend and capital gain distributions page on VG's site says. Either their history is wrong, the 1099-DIV is wrong, or there's something I don't understand about dividend distributions on foreign equity funds (most likely scenario:oops: ). Is this an exchange rate thing perhaps?

I did a search for "1099-div error" here and found nothing. Has anybody else seen this discrepancy?
xenial

Re: Off-topic: 1099-DIV discrepancy on foreign funds

Post by xenial »

PatrickS wrote:All three of my Vanguard foreign funds (Pacific Stock Index, Emerging Mkts, and Tax-managed International) on the 1099-DIV show taxable distributions larger than what the dividend and capital gain distributions page on VG's site says. Either their history is wrong, the 1099-DIV is wrong, or there's something I don't understand about dividend distributions on foreign equity funds (most likely scenario:oops: ). Is this an exchange rate thing perhaps?

I did a search for "1099-div error" here and found nothing. Has anybody else seen this discrepancy?
You forgot about the foreign tax credit. The amount in Box 6 is included in the Box 1a total. Try subtracting it out, and see if you can reconcile the numbers.

Best wishes,
Ken