Help: Good Adviser Wanted, Chicago

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
blood_donor

Help: Good Adviser Wanted, Chicago

Post by blood_donor » Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:29 pm

My cousin is interested in hiring a financial adviser to invest his money (both taxable and retirement accounts). He understands correctly the loaded-fund sales system, but he does not want to spend the time and energy to DIY; in fact, the tells me that if he did it himself he would not be able to resist the urge to "play", and potentially get into trouble.

My cousin is interested in "comprehensive" planning which takes into account his long and short term goals, his various assets, his tax status, etc.

Can you guys recommend (prefer specific experience) fee-only financial planners in Chicago that you would send such a person to?

He already went to a pitch meeting put on by a certain chain of loaded-fund pushing financial planners, and he was not impressed, having a strong disdain for salesmen.

It seems daunting to pick people out of they yellow pages, I figured you guys would have some real knowledge.

CABob

Post by CABob » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:23 pm

I have no recommendation, but, I wanted to remind you that with today's internet, email, fax, and telephone there is the thought that he might not want to limit his search based on his geographical location.

Bob

Topic Author
blood_donor

Post by blood_donor » Mon Mar 24, 2008 10:26 pm

Yes, this is a good point, however, I think he would feel much warmer and fuzzier if he could actually meet with his adviser in person.
CABob wrote:I have no recommendation, but, I wanted to remind you that with today's internet, email, fax, and telephone there is the thought that he might not want to limit his search based on his geographical location.

Bob

Topic Author
blood_donor

Post by blood_donor » Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:10 pm

Free bump... only one response so far?!?

joh11853

She is fee only and very smart

Post by joh11853 » Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:36 am

John