how often do you look at your account

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
rsbv

how often do you look at your account

Post by rsbv »

how often you log in to see the performance and account balance?
InvestorNewb

Re: how often do you look at your account

Post by InvestorNewb »

About 2-3 times per week.
My Portfolio: VTI [US], VXUS [Int'l], VNQ [REIT], VCN [Canada] (largest to smallest)
bertilak

Post by bertilak »

I guess it is daily because that's how often I use Quicken and the account data gets downloaded and displayed along with everything else (bank accounts, credit cards, etc.)

I'd have to go out of my way to NOT see it.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker (aka S.O.B.), the Cowboy Poet
mickeyd

Post by mickeyd »

Annually
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle
bengal22

Post by bengal22 »

when it is going up I look all of the time. In the other direction, I tend to watch more sports.
"Earn All You Can; Give All You Can; Save All You Can." .... John Wesley
cheese_breath

Post by cheese_breath »

First day of the month and not much more.
The surest way to know the future is when it becomes the past.
josh6286

Post by josh6286 »

Just about every half hour! Haha I use etfs for my stock investing.
Last edited by josh6286 on Sun Jul 20, 2014 6:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Toons

Post by Toons »

bertilak wrote:I guess it is daily because that's how often I use Quicken and the account data gets downloaded and displayed along with everything else (bank accounts, credit cards, etc.)

I'd have to go out of my way to NOT see it.
+1 :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

I couldn't remember, so you made me go look:

I was probably downloading a tax form or something.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Professor Emeritus

Post by Professor Emeritus »

I look every day. I do something on average 3 x per year.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

rsbv wrote:how often you log in to see the performance and account balance?
I have a spreadsheet. I can see the current NAV on My Fund Watch List on the Personal Investors' page without logging in. I do that every day. I look at Balances and Holdings (if that is what you mean by account balance) to see the new number of shares after a dividend has been paid. I almost never look at Personal Performance tab (if that is what you mean by performance).

Because I have a bond fund, I get dividends every month, so I log in once a month. Sometimes more often than that, like right now, since I really didn't know what you meant by performance and account balance and had to go see if I could find anything with similar names.
JPH

Post by JPH »

About once per month. I have to have a reason other than just to check.
While the moments do summersaults into eternity | Cling to their coattails and beg them to stay - Townes Van Zandt
midareff

Post by midareff »

bengal22 wrote:when it is going up I look all of the time. In the other direction, I tend to watch more sports.

LOL, funny.... but me 2.
pennstater2005

Post by pennstater2005 »

Couple times a week to make sure there's no funny business :wink:
“If you think nobody cares if you're alive, try missing a couple of car payments.” – Earl Wilson
DFrank

Post by DFrank »

Quarterly.
Dave
hoppy08520

Post by hoppy08520 »

midareff wrote:
bengal22 wrote:when it is going up I look all of the time. In the other direction, I tend to watch more sports.
LOL, funny.... but me 2.
Same here.

I have an old spreadsheet where I keep track of my balances. I used to update almost every weekend. But I noticed that around 2008/2009, there were gaps of multiple months where I didn't make updates -- it was just too painful.

Over the past couple of years, I've become an investing junkie. I look every day. I don't make changes, but I look.

I have a feeling once the Boglehead kick dies down, I'll go back to ignoring.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

I guess I'm the opposite. If things are doing well, no need to look. But if the market has a really bad day, I need to look in order to decide where to get money to buy something.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Dickerson

Post by Dickerson »

Detailed look right after the last trading day of the month. I upload the data into a spreadsheet.
Rebalance accounts only when the MM fund gets large enough. It is fed from the dividends of the taxable accounts.
gkaplan

Post by gkaplan »

It depends.
Gordon
Crimsontide

Post by Crimsontide »

Every Saturday morning.
peppers

Post by peppers »

Once a week to see if I can remember the access information.
"..the cavalry ain't comin' kid, you're on your own..."
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

peppers wrote:Once a week to see if I can remember the access information.
I find that logging in to all 38 of my accounts and websites with passwords every day is a good way to fight the onset of dementia. That is why I never use the auto logon feature of bogleheads. I need to find out if I still remember that my name is sscritic.
peppers

Post by peppers »

sscritic wrote:
I find that logging in to all 38 of my accounts and websites with passwords every day is a good way to fight the onset of dementia. That is why I never use the auto logon feature of bogleheads. I need to find out if I still remember that my name is sscritic.
Yes, cognitive decline in the aging process is a penultimate concern.
"..the cavalry ain't comin' kid, you're on your own..."
Topic Author
rsbv

Post by rsbv »

sscritic wrote:
38 accounts? wow.. do you mean all financial accounts or everything?

i have been logging in every day but im a new investor so obviously little nervous and also excited.
NuB 2013

Post by NuB 2013 »

I maintain a spreadsheet where I look at each account and plug in the numbers. I have kept it for about 10 yrs and update it monthly.

When things are going haywire I allow myself to interpolate the months where I don't feel like looking at it.
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

rsbv wrote:
sscritic wrote: I find that logging in to all 38 of my accounts and websites with passwords every day is a good way to fight the onset of dementia. That is why I never use the auto logon feature of bogleheads. I need to find out if I still remember that my name is sscritic.
38 accounts? wow.. do you mean all financial accounts or everything?

i have been logging in every day but im a new investor so obviously little nervous and also excited.
Facebook is an example of a website with a password. (That reminds me, I wonder what my family did today - gotta check after posting). There are many others, probably hundred of thousands, if not millions, but I don't have accounts on all of them.

Dementia can be fought with my username and password at Facebook as easily as with my username and password on bogleheads. It's the remembering that .. what was I going to say?

P.S. I often lie. That's what people do on the web.
SJCX

Post by SJCX »

I look a lot when it's going up and when it's going down I never look
Kevin M

Post by Kevin M »

Many accounts, so the question isn't too relevant to me. I do have a spreadsheet with all of my accounts and approximate balances, but usually when I open it it's related to posting something here (like what % I have in a particular asset class). Don't pay much attention to balance or how much it's up or down.

I have another spreadsheet that shows me %change for various ETFs that represent asset classes I own or am interested in tracking. I usually open it on days when the market is open, mainly to see if there are any really big moves up or down, which might trigger some selling or buying respectively. The % change column is color coded so a quick glance tells me if things are up or down a little, a little more, or a lot. Unless I see a very dark shade of red (down a lot) or blue (up a lot), I don't pay much attention.

Even after the 2008/2009 financial crisis, we've had days when REITs moved up or down about 10%, although it's been awhile now. Days like that are likely to trigger some rebalancing, so that's the main reason I check.

Kevin
Wiki ||.......|| Suggested format for Asking Portfolio Questions (edit original post)
villars

Post by villars »

Once or twice a month to decide where to invest new savings.

However I check SP500 a lot on my smartphone ( sometimes more than once a day - last Thursday I knew something newsworthy had happened when i saw the "dip" before I saw the news about the downed planed in the lunch break room )
Meg77

Post by Meg77 »

Daily or a few times a week. I use Mint so it all shows up whenever I check my checking account balances or anything else. I update our net worth statement every month so I make sure to check at least that often. I don't really look at performance data that often though - just balances.
"An investment in knowledge pays the best interest." - Benjamin Franklin
LateStarter1975

Post by LateStarter1975 »

I get monthly reports from Mint.com where I see my whole financial picture, but I don't actually log in to my accounts. I get weekly updates from Personal Capital (they only have settings to receive this communication daily or weekly) but I promptly delete it without looking at it.
Debt is dangerous...simple is beautiful
CABob

Post by CABob »

I have a spreadsheet that I use to keep track of portfolio, asset allocations, etc. I update it at the beginning of every quarter so I take a detailed look at investments quarterly. There may be some occasions, however, where I might look at an account more often, but, that is for some specific purpose other than my detailed overlook every three months.
Bob
joe8d

Post by joe8d »

Every day.
All the Best, | Joe
GerryL

Post by GerryL »

I generally go into Quicken each Friday evening. Pay bills, update check register (I am a hands-on user), update portfolio (look but don't touch). I guess this says something about my social life, huh?
bcjb

Post by bcjb »

The first of the month, to confirm that our automated retirement contributions went through and that we have enough money in our checking account.
stonerolled

Post by stonerolled »

minimum of 2 weeks because that is when I make roth contributions.
LarryG

Post by LarryG »

Every day-except Saturday and Sunday
LarryG
YttriumNitrate

Post by YttriumNitrate »

I'd say twice a month. Once a month I log into the Fidelity site to pay off my Fidelity Amex card and typically once a month I log in to invest my monthly allotment. I guess there's also a few once a year log ins like the downloading of tax forms and the transferring of taxable funds into the Roth IRA...
Raybo

Post by Raybo »

I wrote a program that updates my stocks everyday (the computer is turned on) at 4pm PST. It reports how much I gained or lost that day.

I check the program that actually holds my investments and calculates my AA about once every 2 weeks or so.

I log into Vanguard, at least, once a month to update my program's database with my dividends.
No matter how long the hill, if you keep pedaling you'll eventually get up to the top.
Sagenick48

Post by Sagenick48 »

I might look at it every other day, but I only look at them and think about what is happening once a month.
The market goes up, the market goes down.
Cash

Post by Cash »

livesoft wrote:I guess I'm the opposite. If things are doing well, no need to look. But if the market has a really bad day, I need to look in order to decide where to get money to buy something.
+1

Moreover, most of our investments are on automatic, and I use Google Finance and a spreadsheet to track our holdings. I don't bother logging into any actual brokerage accounts unless I want to make a transaction.
dublin

Post by dublin »

I keep a spreadsheet with a monthly net worth and asset allocation update, so I'm checking Vanguard once a month at the very least.
Billyboy

Post by Billyboy »

Usually once a day, M-F, except when the US markets are closed. I always check in the morning at months end or when I expect dividends and/or capital gains to be paid out so I can update my records as to increased shares, revised cost basis, etc. at the site I use to keep such records.
I check my individual holdings often during the day on Yahoo Finance, along with several etfs, which gives me an indication of how my corresponding mutual funds will close for the day.
Last edited by Billyboy on Sun Jul 20, 2014 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ASUGrad

Post by ASUGrad »

More than daily...

I have Mint and it shows up on there. Instead of going to my bank or credit card websites I just use Mint when I need to look at recent transactions so it is always there.

How often do I actually log into the accounts? Probably once a week. I don't know why. I only have 3 index funds so its not like I have anything to do once I'm in there.
mike143

Post by mike143 »

I use mint.com for a global overview of all accounts. I look at it on a weekly basis. I look at performance willy nilly. Mint.com also has some text notifiers that can give you an update if certain balances are reached or transactions over a certain amount.
Nothing is free, someone pays...You can't spend your way to financial freedom.
LeeMKE

Post by LeeMKE »

About once a week.

I usually do the automatic upload when I open Quicken to write checks, so the numbers get updated. I'm a bit of a tools junkie, so I'll check out another tool at Fidelity, or run some "what ifs" to check out some hare-brained scheme I read about someplace. I don't touch the portfolio except for transferring new money and getting it invested and it looks like rebalancing will only happen every 6 months now that we are following a Boglehead strategy for the most part.

I just rebalanced for the first time since taking up the Boglehead approach, and decided to give up my individual stocks and flow that money into the index funds. Bit by bit I'm getting more streamlined and low maintenance.
The mightiest Oak is just a nut who stayed the course.
John3754

Post by John3754 »

I look quarterly and rebalance twice a year.
dewey

Post by dewey »

Professor Emeritus wrote:I look every day. I do something on average 3 x per year.
+1
“The only freedom that is of enduring importance is freedom of intelligence…” John Dewey
Beerwolf

Post by Beerwolf »

once a month, just to make sure no-one else is looking at it.
corner559

Post by corner559 »

With online fraud these days, I think you'd be crazy not to check it at least once or twice a month.