Need intro resource on Roth conversions and RMDs

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Rebecca_S

Need intro resource on Roth conversions and RMDs

Post by Rebecca_S » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:33 pm

I've handled my Mother's investments for years now since my father died. Last year she retired and is now in a much lower tax bracket. I would like to start and conversation with her about RMDs and doing Roth conversions, if they make sense for her. The only investing book I've gotten her to read was Coffeehouse Investor. I'd like to find a resource (book, webpage, pamplet) that discusses RMDs and the pro/con of doing Roth conversions of her traditional IRA and rollover IRA accounts using conversational language. Thanks!

heyyou

Re: Need intro resource on Roth conversions and RMDs

Post by heyyou » Mon Jun 23, 2014 8:59 pm

Fairmark.com has two reference pages for sets of tax tables, one for tax brackets, and one for exemptions and deductions. Due to several categories of each, be careful when scrolling to get the correct years and the correct tables when you are jumping back and forth between those pages.

bsteiner

Re: Need intro resource on Roth conversions and RMDs

Post by bsteiner » Mon Jun 23, 2014 9:02 pm

Here's an article I wrote for the April 2013 issue of Trusts & Estates on the benefits of the Roth conversion: http://www.kkwc.com/library_cat/uf_Roth ... r_ATRA.pdf .