Easy way to view graph of portfolio?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
dandan14

Easy way to view graph of portfolio?

Post by dandan14 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:47 pm

Does anyone know of an easy way to combine charts to get a daily/weekly/monthly view of a mix of symbols?

For example, from time to time, i pull up Google Finance and look at Total Stock Market, Total Bond Market, Total International, etc. And in my head I think, ok -- i'm probably up a bit this month. You can plot them on the same graph, but that doesn't give me an overall calculation.

Is there a site where I can say 25% this, 30% this, 10% this, etc. and have it build the graph based on the allocations -- and then just save that? I suppose I could do it with personalcapital or similar -- but those a very much around amount of money you have. I'm just looking for a quick website I can pull up at work and see "oh, a portfolio with my allocation is up 1% this month."

red5

Re: Easy way to view graph of portfolio?

Post by red5 » Wed Apr 30, 2014 3:15 pm

You could create a Morningstar portfolio account (free). It will give you various stats and figures. It does require some time to set up and a bit of time to maintain (inputting buy/sell lots, dividend reinvestments, depends on how detailed and accurate you want it). It perhaps is not as quick as you are looking for though.

2retire

Post by 2retire » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:23 pm

Does it need to be a graph, or is a number fine.

I do as the above poster said, but there is a trick to make the setup easy.

First, in a spreadsheet, list all your ticker symbols and their account values.
Sum them all up.
Now divide each account total by the grand total.

That gives you what percent each account represents.

Go to M* and create a free account. Find their Instant X-ray tool. There is an option to specify holdings as a Percent of Portfolio, rather than giving them your specific shares and cost basis.

Enter all your ticker symbols and the percent of your Portfolio. Have them generate the Instant X-ray. Once it is complete, there is a link to create a portfolio based on that information.

You now have a fake $10,000 portfolio that matches your AA. You can now easily monitor that portfolio every day. There is a function on the menus to automatically check for dividends and splits and adjust the portfolio accordingly.

pjstack

Post by pjstack » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:36 pm

Or, you could try this site:
http://stockcharts.com/freecharts/perf. ... MX%2CVBIAX

It allows you to enter several stock/bond/fund symbols and see them on the same chart.
pjstack