NYTimes: Inexpensive Advice for Index-Fund Investments

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
livesoft

NYTimes: Inexpensive Advice for Index-Fund Investments

Post by livesoft »

Ron Lieber has written in the NY Times about one of our favorite topics: Financial Advice For People Who Aren't Rich. This article covers Betterment, WealthFront, Vanguard, MarketRiders and many others with a nice chart for Inexpensive Advice for Index-Fund Investments.

Rather conspicuously absent from the article and the chart is a site called Bogleheads.org I would guess that it might make the list if it wasn't free.

And one thing, bogleheads.org is not a RoboAdvisor as mentioned in this video: http://www.roboadv.com/GenericPURL/Video Real human beings generally answer one's questions on this forum.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
Wagnerjb

Re: NYTimes: Inexpensive Advice for Index-Fund Investments

Post by Wagnerjb »

livesoft wrote: Real human beings generally answer one's questions on this forum.
What do you call people who ask the OP if they have searched the internet for the answer? :D
Andy
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

Wagnerjb wrote:
livesoft wrote: Real human beings generally answer one's questions on this forum.
What do you call people who ask the OP if they have searched the internet for the answer? :D
Facilitators of advice. :D
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
WallyBird

Post by WallyBird »

There's lots of good information here, but it takes effort to find it, digest it, and apply it. Outsourcing those tasks is understandably attractive to many people, and as previous threads here and elsewhere have noted, Vanguard's new pricing raises the bar -- or rather lowers it.

It's not the sort of service I'd use, but I'd recommend it in a heartbeat to some elderly relatives who are paying twice as much -- or more.
"Look, sir, we can't just do nothing." | "Why not? It's usually best."
nisiprius
Advisory Board
Location: The terrestrial, globular, planetary hunk of matter, flattened at the poles, is my abode.--O. Henry

Post by nisiprius »

DARN, which I could remember it... flipping through some money magazine in a dentist's office there was an article that mentioned the very salient point that several firms like Wealthfront and Betterment have already folded. I have of course also forgotten (YES, I'm old) the names of the firms... they rang very faint bells of the "whatever happened to" type.

Now obviously it's not at all the end of the world if the firm goes belly up, they are just managing your funds, not holding them. It's just a PITA. But I think he might have discussed it. It sort of seems unsound to hand over the management of assets you hope to hold for decades to a firm that might not last more than a few years. It's also not the end of the world if you don't rebalance for a few years... and rebalancing is less work than transferring assets between firms can be.

Anyway I don't know what exactly is happening but cheap robo-assisted advice for the mass affluent is clearly a Meme On the Rise and getting articles, which inspire other writers to write more articles.
Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen nineteen and six, result happiness; Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure twenty pounds ought and six, result misery.
SeattleCPA

Post by SeattleCPA »

Wagnerjb wrote:
+1 LOL
Topic Author
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

I predict that someone else will start a thread with a link to this article.
countdown

Post by countdown »

I actually didn't know Vanguard had this service let alone was lowering their fee. Thanks for posting it.
neurosphere

Post by neurosphere »

nisiprius wrote:DARN, which I could remember it... flipping through some money magazine in a dentist's office there was an article that mentioned the very salient point that several firms like Wealthfront and Betterment have already folded. I have of course also forgotten (YES, I'm old) the names of the firms... they rang very faint bells of the "whatever happened to" type.
I remember the same (or similar) article, not about robo-advisors, but about advisors for the masses, i.e. $20-$50 per month for unlimited access to a planner or something like that. Was one of them Learnvest perhaps? The article I'm thinking of had an interview with the founder, and how after an initial startup period, she was afraid she would go under, and was having to cut the salary of her planners. I got the impression from reading the article that her business model would not hold up. The article referred to several other players who were coming on board, which would make it even harder to sustain. But I also cannot think of any specifics.
Topic Author
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Topic Author
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

countdown wrote:I actually didn't know Vanguard had this service let alone was lowering their fee. Thanks for posting it.
There is a thread or two about it on the bogleheads forum.
neurosphere

Post by neurosphere »

livesoft wrote:The LearnVest article: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/07/27/your- ... asses.html
thanks! I think that was it. Although it was much more optimistic than I remembered it. I may have combined two different articles in my head into one. I guess we'll see in a few years which firms make it. I would like to think that 1% AUM advisors will NOT make it due to this competition, but I have a feeling they will always be around.
steve_14

Post by steve_14 »

Lots of choices there for folks who simply won't spend a few hours educating themselves and investing directly. Too bad that wasn't an option in the article.
sunnywindy

Post by sunnywindy »

The roboadvisor (eMoney) video was a little bit cheesy. I have nothing against robo advisors or human advisors, but the blatant 'tug at the heart strings' persuasion is exactly what many who come to this site feel trapped in; the personalities and personal relationships many advisors have with some clients is exactly what makes it difficult for clients to talk with their adviser.