Poll: TIP or VTIP

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.

If you have inflation protected bonds in your portfolio, which do you use?

TIP ETF
10%
VTIP ETF (or equivalent vanguard mutual fund)
62%
individual TIP bonds
14%
other (please include "other" option in a post)
14%

Total votes: 21

datamonkee

Poll: TIP or VTIP

Post by datamonkee » Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:45 am

I am trying to decide whether to use TIP of VTIP as my inflation protection asset class. Thanks.

englishgirl

Re: Poll: TIP or VTIP

Post by englishgirl » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:28 am

I don't understand the question. What is TIP and what is VTIP?

I did actually Google, VTIP is the short term TIPs ETF. So I guess TIP is not short term? Intermediate term? Sorry, you only get one Google search out of me per question.

What about those of us that think ETFs are not the same as mutual funds, and wouldn't necessarily want to recommend an ETF?

And what does it matter what WE have in our portfolios? What matters is if it is good for you. What other bonds do you have? What is your ratio between nominal bonds and inflation protected bonds? Do you have an emergency fund? What's your stock percentage? It is so hard to answer a question like this out of context.

I guess I will vote other, for I bonds.
Last edited by englishgirl on Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sarah

chaz

Post by chaz » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:29 am

I have the Vanguard TIPS fund.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:31 am

chaz wrote:I have the Vanguard TIPS fund.

So do I. How ironic.
Gordon

chaz

Post by chaz » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:40 am

gkaplan wrote:

So do I. How ironic.

Great minds think alike.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

dbr

Post by dbr » Wed Apr 02, 2014 10:49 am

Which one?

Apparently there are two questions here. One is how long to go in TIPS and the other is whether to hold individual TIPS or a fund. I think the fund vs ETF is a red herring due to the way the poll is stated with the "equivalent funds" attached to one question but not the other.

chaz

Post by chaz » Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:09 am

dbr wrote:

Which one?

Apparently there are two questions here. One is how long to go in TIPS and the other is whether to hold individual TIPS or a fund. I think the fund vs ETF is a red herring due to the way the poll is stated with the "equivalent funds" attached to one question but not the other.

VAIPX

gkaplan

Post by gkaplan » Wed Apr 02, 2014 3:03 pm

chaz wrote:
dbr wrote:

Which one?

VAIPX

That's the same fund I have. How ironic.
Gordon

Billyboy

Post by Billyboy » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:09 pm

I put "other" since I have Vanguard Short-Term Inflation-protected Securities, Adm. shares (VTAPX).

datamonkee

Post by datamonkee » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:14 pm

dbr is correct. I didn't really know it at the time that i posted the inquiry, but I think my question is more about intermediate term vs. short term.

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:54 pm

gkaplan wrote:

So do I. How ironic.

I used to invest in the Vanguard Intermediate Term TIPS fund. I have been debating about whether I want to add this asset class to our portfolio.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs

abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 » Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:55 pm

I could not vote since presently we are not investing in any TIPS or Inflation bond funds.
John C. Bogle: "You simply do not need to put your money into 8 different mutual funds!" | | Disclosure: Three Fund Portfolio + U.S. & International REITs