Vanguard doesn't put SEP-IRA deposit slips online? Really?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
fredflinstone

Vanguard doesn't put SEP-IRA deposit slips online? Really?

Post by fredflinstone » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:51 pm

That's what a Vanguard rep. told me just now. He is going to send the form to me.

I love Vanguard but what possible reason could there be for not making this form available on the Internet?

DSInvestor

Re: Vanguard doesn't put SEP-IRA deposit slips online? Reall

Post by DSInvestor » Wed Mar 26, 2014 1:57 pm

Do you need online deposit slip or do you need a way to fund the SEP-IRA electronically. Does Vanguard offer a way to link your bank account to the SEP-IRA? It allows this for Traditional IRA, Roth IRA, and taxable accounts. If this is possible, you would be able to contribute to SEP-IRA using the Vanguard web site and pull the money via ACH.

SEP-IRA is a small business plan and it may be covered by Vanguard Small Business Online. On the Vanguard SEP-IRA page, there is a link to a tour of Small Business Online which seems to offer the ability to manage bank information and make contributions online:
http://www.vanguard.com/flash/SBS_Tour/ ... _fund.html
Wiki

Topic Author
fredflinstone

Post by fredflinstone » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:03 pm

I am unable to figure out a way to fund the SEP-IRA electronically. I am not saying it is impossible, only that I can't figure out how to do it. The Vanguard rep. did not mention this as a possibility.

DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:05 pm

That small business online feature seems to offer what you need. Maybe call back and ask about Vanguard Small Business Online.
Wiki

JamesSFO

Post by JamesSFO » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:16 pm

Get a login for smallbiz.vanguard.com

You will be able to ACH in funds.

cathyr

Post by cathyr » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:23 pm

I have a SEP-IRA with Vanguard, which I always funded electronically, even the initial deposit. Of course, I'm not self-employed at the moment, so it's been several years since I made a contribution. However, I can't believe they would have removed that capability.

Cathy

Topic Author
fredflinstone

Post by fredflinstone » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:27 pm

I still don't understand why they can't put a simple deposit slip online. I am not especially interested in creating a new Vanguard small business account.

cathyr

Post by cathyr » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:27 pm

Ok, just signed onto my vanguard account - when I go to the link to my sep-ira, then click on the Buy/Sell option, it brings up a screen where the amount to purchase can be entered. The account was previously linked to my bank account for funding.

Cathy

cathyr

Post by cathyr » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:28 pm

FYI, I don't have a small business account - this is all through www.vanguard.com. Of course, if you want to mail in a deposit, that may be different.

cathyr

Post by cathyr » Wed Mar 26, 2014 2:33 pm

Ok, one more comment, then I'll shut up :) I went to this link - https://investor.vanguard.com/what-we-o ... ss/sep-ira , and there's an option to open a sep-ira online.

Also, for contributions, there was something in the online help that indicated when you entered your buy amount, it would bring up a customized deposit slip you could print out.

That's all folks!

Cathy

DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:04 pm

do you have any bank accounts linked to your vanguard accounts? I just clicked on my SEP-IRA which I haven't contributed to in 10 years and I can click on any link to buy. If money is coming from outside the IRA, this buy is treated as a contribution. This brings me to a screen where I can enter how much of what funds I want to buy, how much I have already contributed for 2013 and 2014 and then select where the money will come from (linked bank accounts). I have bank accounts linked to my vanguard accounts.

To link bank accounts to Vanguard, logon to vanguard.com, look on the bottom of the page for link for "Account Maintenance". On the right column of options, you will see "Bank Information".

SEP-IRA contributions are employer contributions. If you're a sole proprietor your contributions may be coming from a personal bank account. If you're incorporated, your contributions may be coming from a business bank account in corporation's name. I don't know if you can link a bank account that's not in your name to your personal Vanguard account. In this case, it may be necessary to get a login to smallbiz.vanguard.com to link your business bank account to your SEP-IRA.
Last edited by DSInvestor on Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki

Polaris

Post by Polaris » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:08 pm

I continue to get paper statements since I make my SEP contributions with a deposit slip and check sent via USPS. I would prefer to do it electronically, but seem to remember it being a convoluted PITA because my Vanguard SEP IRA account is obviously owned by me the individual and my business bank accounts are "owned" by my business name. I don't have that issue with my Roth IRA and personal bank account and make those deposits electronically.

DSInvestor

Post by DSInvestor » Wed Mar 26, 2014 3:11 pm

Polaris wrote:I continue to get paper statements since I make my SEP contributions with a deposit slip and check sent via USPS. I would prefer to do it electronically, but seem to remember it being a convoluted PITA because my Vanguard SEP IRA account is obviously owned by me the individual and my business bank accounts are "owned" by my business name. I don't have that issue with my Roth IRA and personal bank account and make those deposits electronically.
A login with smallbiz.vanguard.com may allow you to link your business bank account to your SEP-IRA.
Wiki