22 y.o Health Savings Account!?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
mentalGen

22 y.o Health Savings Account!?

Post by mentalGen »

Hi everyone, this is my first post and
1. Can I get some insight on my asset allocation
2. Is it worth opening a HSA account and maxing out the contribution?

Taxable:
3D Systems (DDD): $3365
IPO-ETF (FPX) : $2173
Farmland REIT (LAND): $2650

Vanguard Roth IRA:
Small-cap value ETF (VBR): $3225
ConocoPhillips (COP): $4788
Windstream Holdings (WIN): $1036

401k:
US Equity Index Fund: $12,426
US Small-cap Equity: $9652
Schwab Total International Equity ETF: $4807

va529: $3000
cash: $2000

Since HSAs are tax-advantaged, I'm thinking of opening one and maxing it out...is this a good idea for me? Am I missing some other form of tax-advantaged account to stow my money? Also, what do you think of me having those two stocks in my Roth? I bought them because they've got pretty good dividend yields, but I'm not too hot on individual stocks in my Roth. Thanks for the advice!
PS241

Re: 22 y.o Health Savings Account!?

Post by PS241 »

0. You provide very limited details, you will likely need to provide more info for better answers. I would build up your cash position to a 3-6 mo emergency fund first.

1. I wouldn't mess with individual stocks, and also wouldn't have so much in small caps. Read the wiki for more info.

2. If you don't have any dependents, I would probably not open an HSA and instead stay on your parents plan until you are 26 years old. Reason for that is I believe you need to be enrolled in a High Deductible Health Plan to be eligible for an HSA, and cost of premiums will likely erase any tax savings. If your parents insurance is terrible, you have dependents, or the premiums are really low it might be worth it to do an HSA.
Topic Author
mentalGen

Post by mentalGen »

PS241 wrote:0. You provide very limited details, you will likely need to provide more info for better answers. I would build up your cash position to a 3-6 mo emergency fund first.

1. I wouldn't mess with individual stocks, and also wouldn't have so much in small caps. Read the wiki for more info.

2. If you don't have any dependents, I would probably not open an HSA and instead stay on your parents plan until you are 26 years old. Reason for that is I believe you need to be enrolled in a High Deductible Health Plan to be eligible for an HSA, and cost of premiums will likely erase any tax savings. If your parents insurance is terrible, you have dependents, or the premiums are really low it might be worth it to do an HSA.
Thank you for the response.
What kind of info would be useful? I'm single with no dependents. I'm currently on my parents' plan, but I thought that didn't exclude having my own HSA? I thought it's just someplace where you can store tax-deferred money and use it on inevitable health expenses that I'll have in my old age.
linakin

Post by linakin »

Nope, you can only have a HSA if you are on a high deductible health care plan. Since you're on your parents plan, they could have one if the plan is right, but you couldn't.
bmay

Post by bmay »

linakin wrote:Since you're on your parents plan, they could have one if the plan is right, but you couldn't.
You can be on a parent's HDHP and still be eligible to open an HSA as long as you cannot be claimed as a tax dependent (and you meet the other HSA eligibility requirements).