Paying $1,000/yr to Vanguard ! Please Help Me

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
davidsorensen32

Paying $1,000/yr to Vanguard ! Please Help Me

Post by davidsorensen32 »

deleted
Last edited by davidsorensen32 on Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:06 am, edited 10 times in total.
kerplunk

Re: Paying $1,000/yr to Vanguard ! PLEASE HELP ME

Post by kerplunk »

Your expenses are already extremely low. Owning mutual funds isn't free...

If you really wanted to penny-pinch, you could get rid of these funds:

Vanguard International Value Investor VTRIX : ER 0.43% <--- Replace with Total International Stock Market

Powershares Nasdaq 100 Index QQQ : ER 0.2% <--- Replace with S&P 500 (or Total U.S. Stock Market)

Your entire portfolio could be simplified by using the Bogleheads 3-fund approach, by the way. I suggest you do some reading. :) ("The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing" is a good place to start.)
Last edited by kerplunk on Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
gwrvmd

Post by gwrvmd »

Your mutual fund expenses are very low. You are looking for a free lunch.....There ain't none........Gordon
Disciple of John Neff
ogd

Post by ogd »

Wow, you don't hear this every day.

Listen, your expenses are already extremely low by industry standards. Your portfolio looks to be about $1.9 million, let's round it to 2. Do you want to know what a typical "fleeced" investor pays?

1 - 1.5% in fund expense ratios: $25K
1% to an advisor: $20K
5% fund loads every 5 years or so as the advisor churns the funds: $20K a year
reduced capital gains deferral through turnover: varies, but way more than $1K

So let's recap: about $70K of expenses a year, and you're complaining about $1K! Count your blessings, and if anything focus on taxes.

I see very small opportunities for improvement, like getting rid of VTRIX and moving VSIAX to taxable. The bigger observation is that the portfolio looks far too complicated, without even expanding the "play money". Don't complicate it any further. And these ridiculously low expenses are the completely the wrong tree to be barking at, like not even in the same zip code :)
stan1

Post by stan1 »

I think you are letting the tail wag the dog.
The best way to save dollars on taxes would be to take a pay cut.
The best way to save dollars on investment expenses would be to spend the money you've saved (with the exception of the International Value, which could be replaced by Total International, and possibly QQQ, which could be replaced by Total Stock Market).
Look at these as percentages, not fixed dollar amounts.

Your rent is very low relative to your salary (in California). Yes, if you bought a house you'd get mortgage interest and property tax deductions, but you would also be paying for maintenance, repairs, homeowners insurance, and possibly HOA dues that are not tax deductible and you would have to pull at least $100K (20% of a $500k house) out of your investing accounts. If your family is happy renting at $2650 per month I would not be in a hurry to buy until you are ready to settle down in the same house for 20-30 years.
dbr

Post by dbr »

If you want to absolutely minimize mutual fund investment costs, assuming no transaction fees, a total US stock fund or ETF such as the one from Vanguard is it. You can get down to 0.05%. There are 401K plans that sometimes offer slightly cheaper funds, at least their S&P 500. Mutual funds also have costs not reported in the ER, specifically brokerage costs to buy and sell stocks. Again TSM index would be about as low as you can get on that, possibly excepting S&P 500. You could cut your costs by moving everything to US total stock market.

However, the other comment about being already as cheap as it gets are valid.
ElJay

Post by ElJay »

Have you examined what is in a $3000/mo PITI payment on a house?

So let's say you buy a $600,000 house and put 20% down. You get a $480,000 30 year mortgage at 4.375%, making the principle and interest about $2400/mo. To start out, you will be paying more than $1700 per month in interest. If you are worried about $1k a year in (very low) investment expenses, how are you going to sleep at night after paying $20,000 in the first year to the bank in interest?

Granted, you're (hopefully) building some equity in the house every month versus nothing when renting, but it does have its own (significant) costs involved. The NY Times rent versus own calculator is very interesting.
dickenjb

Post by dickenjb »

I don't understand what problem you are trying to solve.
fredflinstone

Post by fredflinstone »

"If you want to absolutely minimize mutual fund investment costs, assuming no transaction fees, a total US stock fund or ETF such as the one from Vanguard is it. You can get down to 0.05%."

You can get your expenses even lower by buying 50-100 large cap stocks and calling it a day. Vanguard offers high net worth investors 25 free trades then charges $2 per trade starting on the 26th trade.
Stocks 28 / Gold 23 / Long-term US treasuries 19 / Cash (mainly CDs) 22 / TIPS 8
Mazz

Post by Mazz »

Dear davidsorensen32,

[OT comments removed by admin LadyGeek]

However, you are really stepping over the dollar to pick up the dime.
You are losing more money by having a mediocre asset allocation.
Your question should really be about that, not your $900 in expense ratios.
Jack

Re: Paying $1,000/yr to Vanguard ! Please Help Me

Post by Jack »

Mazz wrote:[OT comments removed by admin LadyGeek]
There already is one called the Thrift Savings Plan that is almost free, only 0.027%, but you have to work for the federal government to get access.
Raymond

Post by Raymond »

[OT comments removed by admin LadyGeek]
"Ritter, Tod und Teufel"
Bacchus01

Post by Bacchus01 »

Numbers don't seem to add up. Based on your charges/fund %s I calc you portfolio anywhere from $1.2M to $2.5M.

And ~$1000 in fees a year to manage that is puny.
califboglehd

Post by califboglehd »

I was shocked to realize that I was spending almost $1,000 annually for my portfolio!
[OT comment removed by admin LadyGeek]
At the end of the day... it's the end of the day.
Retread

Post by Retread »

"What can I do to reduce investment expenses? I was shocked to realize that I was spending almost $1,000 annually for my portfolio! Here is the breakout

Vanguard CA Long Term Tax Exempt Admiral VCLAX : ER 0.08% : Total Expenses: $243
Vanguard REIT Index Institutional VGSNX : ER 0.12% : Total Expenses: $133
Vanguard International Value Investor VTRIX : ER 0.43% : Total Expenses : $94
Powershares Nasdaq 100 Index QQQ : ER 0.2% : Total Expenses : $74
Vanguard Total International Stock Index Admiral VTIAX : ER 0.14% : Total Expenses : $74
Vanguard Total International Stock Index Signal VTSGX: ER 0.14%: Total Expenses : $60
Vanguard Emerging Stock Index ETF VWO: ER 0.15%: Total Expenses : $48
Vanguard Total World Stock Index Institutional VTWIX: ER 0.16%: Total Expenses : $44
UESP: ER: Blended. Total Expenses $164

Are you serious with this post? You're practically getting investment management for free and yet you're more focused on this than your $63,000 in income taxes or $30,000 for private school tuition. Do you think a mutual fund has no administrative expenses? Compare the expenses with Vanguard funds with others in the industry and you'll realize you should be quite happy with this nominal expense.,
Bruce
absit iniuria verbis
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

I removed a few off-topic comments. As a reminder, see: Forum Policy
We expect this forum to be a place where people can feel comfortable asking questions and where debates and discussions are conducted in civil tones.
As others have pointed out, you need to look at the expense ratio percentages. If you have a large investment, your expenses will increase proportionally.

The OP is also asking about items other than expense ratio:
c) Can my portfolio be more cost (expense-ratio) or tax efficient?

For the tax year 2012, I had several inefficiencies such as having REITs in a taxable account. Hopefully I’ve corrected those this year. I’m also trying to offset the annual dividends with some active tax harvesting.

d) Can my portfolio be more diversified? e.g. should I add VNQI ? Should I add VSS ? Should I add emerging market bonds ? The current asset allocation stands at:

Domestic : 29.43%
International: 10.31%
REIT: 13.25%
Emerging Markets: 3.95%
Bonds: 32.94%
Cash: 2.12%
UESP : 8%
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Topic Author
davidsorensen32

Thank you LadyGeek. To everyone: feel completely free to post your suggestions. I'm really looking forward to learning 3 things:

a) How to get to a better asset allocation. I'm trying to stay 65% Equities and 35% bonds.

b) How to minimize investment expenses

c) How to minimize income taxes

I think everyone can learn from our discussions.
LadyGeek wrote:I removed a few off-topic comments. As a reminder, see: Forum Policy
We expect this forum to be a place where people can feel comfortable asking questions and where debates and discussions are conducted in civil tones.
As others have pointed out, you need to look at the expense ratio percentages. If you have a large investment, your expenses will increase proportionally.

The OP is also asking about items other than expense ratio:
c) Can my portfolio be more cost (expense-ratio) or tax efficient?

For the tax year 2012, I had several inefficiencies such as having REITs in a taxable account. Hopefully I’ve corrected those this year. I’m also trying to offset the annual dividends with some active tax harvesting.

d) Can my portfolio be more diversified? e.g. should I add VNQI ? Should I add VSS ? Should I add emerging market bonds ? The current asset allocation stands at:

Domestic : 29.43%
International: 10.31%
REIT: 13.25%
Emerging Markets: 3.95%
Bonds: 32.94%
Cash: 2.12%
UESP : 8%
mnvalue

Post by mnvalue »

1. Do you donate to any tax-exempt charities? If so, donate them your appreciated company stock instead of donating cash. You'll get the charitable deduction, avoid paying the long-term capital gains taxes, and get rid of company stock (which has risks correlated with job loss).
2. Make sure you have dividend reinvestment turned off on everything in the taxable account.
3. Once you have a plan (!), liquidate any lots in the taxable account that have a loss. Liquidate a corresponding amount of long-term gains from the taxable positions you want to keep the least.
4. Max out your 401k each year, even if you have to sell from taxable to do it. (Though if you have huge gains, run the numbers first.)
5. Max out a backdoor Roth IRA for you and your spouse each year, even if you have to sell from taxable to do it. (Though if you have huge gains, run the numbers first.)
6. If you post the gains and losses per position, we can help you evaluate what might be worth simplifying.
7. Please recalculate your percentages to exclude the 529.
8. Please show the old and current 401ks separately, and list the (index fund) choices in each.
momar

Post by momar »

You say you would deliberate over any $1000 expenses. I assume that's to determine if they are worth. I assume you must decide some things are worth spending money on. Do you feel you are getting your money's worth from Vanguard? Your other options are to trade yourself, invest with another broker, or keep it all in a safe of bank vault.

Maybe the $1000 is worth it.
"Index funds have a place in your portfolio, but you'll never beat the index with them." - Words of wisdom from a Fidelity rep
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

What is this a joke? You want to save money - move out of a high tax state!
Vanguard expense ratios are rock bottom. There is no free lunch, the most basic of ingredients cost money.
Incredible post!
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
Jack FFR1846

Post by Jack FFR1846 »

Any fund that isn't an Admiral share (or at least at that level), should be a target to get rid of. You don't have enough money commited in institutional share funds. Simplify. I have no issue with a total US stock Admiral and an S&P500 Admiral to tilt it towards large cap (I do that). But mixing in the higher ER funds with low balances......why bother? If you get to 6 funds and absolutely no more than 0.2% ER, then you'll cut your fees and simplify your portfolio.

(note, I'm in Fidelity where institutional and advantage are simply $$$ invested and lower ER. I assume Vanguard institutional has Admiral shares as a higher $$ alternative)
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

stan1 wrote:Yes, if you bought a house you'd get mortgage interest and property tax deductions, but you would also be paying for maintenance, repairs, homeowners insurance, and possibly HOA dues that are not tax deductible and you would have to pull at least $100K (20% of a $500k house) out of your investing accounts. If your family is happy renting at $2650 per month I would not be in a hurry to buy until you are ready to settle down in the same house for 20-30 years.
I wouldn't eliminate buying if a shorter than 20 year stay is expected. Somewhere above 3-5 years is probably a good decision point. Your landlord isn't foolishly subsidizing your rent (or maybe he is and you should keep quiet and stay put). Right now, your landlord gets the mortgage interest deduction and property tax deductions, and he's paying the maintenance, repairs, homeowners insurance, and HOA dues, which he may be able to deduct as additional expenses, but has to deal with vacancies, collections, and other landlord issues. In any case, his biggest expense is still likely the mortgage interest (or if the property has high equity, the opportunity cost of having that equity tied down). Yet, he manages to make a profit, so if you bought a similar place, you should be able to achieve some savings instead of the landlord getting profits, whether it's from the rent minus expenses or the capital gain from house appreciation, which is tax free for the first $250/500k.
berntson

Post by berntson »

kerplunk wrote:Your expenses are already extremely low. Owning mutual funds isn't free...
Actually, owning mutual funds is free, at least if you are buying many of Vanguard's funds. Take VTI for example. It tracks an index that has had 7.88% annualized returns over the last ten years. The funds has had 7.88% annual returns over the same period after expenses, including those in the typical expense ratio that you see.

Vanguard lends out securities and makes money doing it. What this tells us is that their security-lending business is often enough to fully cover the expense ratio for their funds. The fund prospectus says that investor are paying .05% in expenses to own the fund. That's actually misleading, since the fund is generating revenue that often covers those expenses.

Most Vanguard investors are paying even less than they think in expenses.
BolderBoy

Post by BolderBoy »

Mazz wrote:You are losing more money by having a mediocre asset allocation. Your question should really be about that, not your $900 in expense ratios.
+1

Fixing that is what I would concentrate on as well. A fair amount of overlap.
Topic Author
davidsorensen32

Can you be more specific ? Using fewer funds wont enhance AA. It would probably simplify though.
BolderBoy wrote:
Mazz wrote:You are losing more money by having a mediocre asset allocation. Your question should really be about that, not your $900 in expense ratios.
+1

jackholloway

Post by jackholloway »

davidsorensen32 wrote:Can you be more specific ? Using fewer funds wont enhance AA. It would probably simplify though.
BolderBoy wrote:
+1

Five international funds plus two overlapping domestic plus REITs, plus some investor shares? Simplify to three fund if you have no substantive gains, and state your desired tilt up front.

Since it looks like some 401k money (the institutional shares...), you may be able to pick up your tilt more cheaply too.
Laura

Post by Laura »

If you break out your portfolio that way described in Investment Planning and Asking Portfolio Questions we can give you some specific suggestions. Right now you have blended education accounts and lumped retirement accounts together making it impossible to really make any suggestions.

Just a few comments to get you started. You are in a very high tax bracket so tax efficiency is key. Some funds don't belong in a taxable account and small cap value is one of them.

1.27% :VSIAX Vanguard Small Cap Value Index Admiral

You only have a small amount so you can work on eliminating that from your taxable account and moving it to a roth if you want to keep overweighting that asset class.

Powershares Nasdaq 100 Index QQQ : ER 0.2% <--- Replace with Total U.S. Stock Market

I also think you are holding too much Berkshire Hathaway.

In your other accounts you have a lot of holdings that represent small percentages of the total portfolio. Even if one of these had a great year you would not notice much difference given the small size. Stick to a minimum of 5% or higher unless you can't because a particular account doesn't represent that percentage of the total. (example - if the roth is only 1% of the total then obviously the fund inside will only be 1% of the total portfolio.)

If you post the details of your portfolio the posters here can give you more specific suggestions.

Laura
The views presented are my own and not necessarily those of the Department of State or the U.S. Government.
letsgobobby

Post by letsgobobby »

dickenjb wrote:I don't understand what problem you are trying to solve.
And once again, John nails it on the head. :thumbsup

I also don't understand the problem.
Topic Author
davidsorensen32

Thank you Laura. I've updated my post above to include all choices and constraints. Hope this gives a better picture to the forum gurus. Some comments on the points you raise below

a) Education accounts are completely separate. I have included them only in the %s. But none of the funds I mention above are part of the education accounts. And the 529 is doing well with its own AA so would prefer to keep it separate.

b) Couldn't agree with you more on the tax situation. I'm dieing with the tax burden here.

c) VG Small Cap Value - I'm sitting on a large LTCG so while happy to add to it in my 401(k) or Roth, its probably not a good idea to touch it unless over multiple years combined with tax harvesting to offset gains - which is possible because I've a tax carryover of about $9,000.

d) QQQ - same issue as above with regards to LTCG. This one has even more gains.

e) Berkshire - same issue as above with regards to LTCG. This one has the most gains.

Look forward to your suggestions.
Laura wrote:If you break out your portfolio that way described in Investment Planning and Asking Portfolio Questions we can give you some specific suggestions. Right now you have blended education accounts and lumped retirement accounts together making it impossible to really make any suggestions.

Just a few comments to get you started. You are in a very high tax bracket so tax efficiency is key. Some funds don't belong in a taxable account and small cap value is one of them.

1.27% :VSIAX Vanguard Small Cap Value Index Admiral

You only have a small amount so you can work on eliminating that from your taxable account and moving it to a roth if you want to keep overweighting that asset class.

Powershares Nasdaq 100 Index QQQ : ER 0.2% <--- Replace with Total U.S. Stock Market

I also think you are holding too much Berkshire Hathaway.

In your other accounts you have a lot of holdings that represent small percentages of the total portfolio. Even if one of these had a great year you would not notice much difference given the small size. Stick to a minimum of 5% or higher unless you can't because a particular account doesn't represent that percentage of the total. (example - if the roth is only 1% of the total then obviously the fund inside will only be 1% of the total portfolio.)

If you post the details of your portfolio the posters here can give you more specific suggestions.

Laura
Laura

Post by Laura »

For your taxable account I would make sure you are not reinvesting any dividends or capital gains from the funds you need to reduce or eliminate over time. There is no reason to make the situation worse. Since you have $9k in harvested losses I would pick $9k in gains to offset at no cost.

You should also look at consolidating some of those 401k accounts. You can take your old accounts and move them into your new account but you didn't post the expense ratios on any of the accounts so I can't really make a recommendation on that. Can you please go back and add the expense ratios for all funds available in all the accounts.

Also, please remove the 8% in the 529 account for the retirement portfolio calculations. All retirement accounts together should total 100%. The 529 is separate.

Can you also share how much new money is going into each account each year? We need the total of your contributions and any matching funds for the 401ks.

Buying a home could give you an additional tax break but it also comes with property taxes, maintenance expenses, etc. I would not just jump into that to try to benefit from the tax deduction. If you haven't watched the Khan Academy buy vs rent discussion it would be worth a few minutes of your time to help you with the calculation. He also has a handy spreadsheet that is downloadable. If you plan to live in the same place for many years it might be worth it. Also, if you can find a good school district you can save $30k in private school tuition each year which could be directed toward the house.

Just a bit more information and we can give you good comments.

Laura
The views presented are my own and not necessarily those of the Department of State or the U.S. Government.
Scott S

Post by Scott S »

I look forward to the day I, too, pay $1000/yr to Vanguard! :greedy
Topic Author
davidsorensen32

Thank You Laura. I've updated my original post with ER details and excluded the 529 %s. Look forward to your counsel.
Laura wrote:For your taxable account I would make sure you are not reinvesting any dividends or capital gains from the funds you need to reduce or eliminate over time. There is no reason to make the situation worse. Since you have $9k in harvested losses I would pick $9k in gains to offset at no cost.

You should also look at consolidating some of those 401k accounts. You can take your old accounts and move them into your new account but you didn't post the expense ratios on any of the accounts so I can't really make a recommendation on that. Can you please go back and add the expense ratios for all funds available in all the accounts.

Also, please remove the 8% in the 529 account for the retirement portfolio calculations. All retirement accounts together should total 100%. The 529 is separate.

Can you also share how much new money is going into each account each year? We need the total of your contributions and any matching funds for the 401ks.

Buying a home could give you an additional tax break but it also comes with property taxes, maintenance expenses, etc. I would not just jump into that to try to benefit from the tax deduction. If you haven't watched the Khan Academy buy vs rent discussion it would be worth a few minutes of your time to help you with the calculation. He also has a handy spreadsheet that is downloadable. If you plan to live in the same place for many years it might be worth it. Also, if you can find a good school district you can save $30k in private school tuition each year which could be directed toward the house.

Just a bit more information and we can give you good comments.

Laura
mnvalue

Post by mnvalue »

davidsorensen32 wrote:I've a tax carryover of about $9,000.
Ironically, this may make the LTCG consideration worse. If you realize $9,000 in LTCG, you'll pay $0 in taxes. If you realize no LTCG, you can offset $3,000 in ordinary income each year for the next three years. That's $840/year, or $2,520 in tax savings. If you realize those same $9,000 in LTCG in 4 years, it'll cost you 15% in tax, or $1,350. In other words, waiting saves you $1,170. For a rigorous comparison, you'll need to subtract the cost of the higher expense ratios, adjust for different returns, and account for state taxes.
Random Musings

Post by Random Musings »

With respect to the ER issue, I thought this was an early April 1st joke. Especially when comping to other expenses 30 to 60 times higher per year.

For the service provided, Vanguard is charging you fairly. The portfolio could be slightly modified in a variety of ways, but the delta in total annual ER cost would most likely be immaterial. The OP might consider to place their energies towards reducing expenditures in other areas of the budget.

As the saying goes, grab the low hanging fruit first.

RM
I figure the odds be fifty-fifty I just might have something to say. FZ
feh

Post by feh »

Random Musings wrote:With respect to the ER issue, I thought this was an early April 1st joke. Especially when comping to other expenses 30 to 60 times higher per year.

For the service provided, Vanguard is charging you fairly.
+1

Vanguard is providing a service. There will be a cost for that service.
Topic Author
davidsorensen32

I agree ! Oh the tyranny of taxes and MF fees (low as they be)
mnvalue wrote:
davidsorensen32 wrote:I've a tax carryover of about $9,000.
Ironically, this may make the LTCG consideration worse. If you realize $9,000 in LTCG, you'll pay $0 in taxes. If you realize no LTCG, you can offset $3,000 in ordinary income each year for the next three years. That's $840/year, or $2,520 in tax savings. If you realize those same $9,000 in LTCG in 4 years, it'll cost you 15% in tax, or $1,350. In other words, waiting saves you $1,170. For a rigorous comparison, you'll need to subtract the cost of the higher expense ratios, adjust for different returns, and account for state taxes.
Topic Author
davidsorensen32

Why ?
Scott S wrote:I look forward to the day I, too, pay $1000/yr to Vanguard! :greedy
danwhite77

Post by danwhite77 »

davidsorensen32 wrote:Why ?
Scott S wrote:I look forward to the day I, too, pay $1000/yr to Vanguard! :greedy
Because that will mean he has a very large portfolio with the company. If you're paying $1,000/yr to Vanguard, most people in this country would consider you rich.

I hope to one day pay Vanguard $10,000/yr! It will be money very well spent!
"While some mutual fund founders chose to make billions, he chose to make a difference." - Dedication to Jack Bogle in 'The Bogleheads' Guide to Investing'.
Scott S

Post by Scott S »

danwhite77 wrote:
Because that will mean he has a very large portfolio with the company. If you're paying $1,000/yr to Vanguard, most people in this country would consider you rich.

That's right! Even if my overall ER was as high as 0.2%, that would mean I had half a million in the account! :sharebeer
Topic Author
davidsorensen32

Believe me, you'll hate every penny of it !
Scott S wrote:
danwhite77 wrote:

That's right! Even if my overall ER was as high as 0.2%, that would mean I had half a million in the account! :sharebeer
Topic Author
davidsorensen32

Bump ! Any takers for the portfolio suggestions ?