Retired Teacher Seeks Advice

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
muffintops

Retired Teacher Seeks Advice

Post by muffintops » Sun Mar 02, 2014 2:19 am

Hello.
It might seem as if I'm doing things backwards, but now that I've retired, I have a few questions about where to put my money.
Each month I get three government pensions (very fortunate!) that adequately cover my living costs with at least $600 left over.
I am a single woman, 66 years old. I have no credit card debt. Going forward, I may earn money substitute teaching and tutoring -- perhaps $200 - 400 a month.
In the past I've been pretty casual and open-handed with money, but now I could use some advice. Before I start spending my extra money on travel, I want to get things nailed down a bit better.

Present assets
I have $125,000 in Vanguard (Target 2020 & 2025, & GNMA) It's 50% stocks/50% bonds, somewhat conservative allocations. (my 403 b account)
Also $14,000 Roth IRA (also in Vanguard 2020)
Credit Union - money market $6,500

My questions are these:
• Where should I put the money I try to save each month going forward? (I plan to send actual earnings to Roth IRA for 2014, but it will be negligible.). It seems a shame to put money in the credit union where I get no interest. I am working to my goal of having at least $10,000 as "savings." Though it earns nothing, I like the idea of the account being FDIC-insured.
• Since I consider my Roth IRA to also be "liquid savings," do you think I need to have $24,000 (six months' income) set aside -- if I have dependable monthly pensions? Is that just a wise thing to do?
* Most importantly, am I living dangerously by having the lion's share of my money ($140,000) all in Vanguard? Are there safer/smarter options? I don't particularly want to tie up my money in municipal bonds for 5-10 years like Suze O advises. Not sure...

In case you wonder why I don't buy property, I live in the San Francisco Bay Area where it's hopelessly expensive.
I am grateful for your thoughtful advice and creative suggestions!

Quasimodo

Re: Retired Teacher Seeks Advice

Post by Quasimodo » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:38 am

Here are a couple of links discussing the safety of Vanguard:

http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Vanguard_safety

http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Vanguard_FAQ

Other more knowledgable posters will comment on your questions.

Congratulations on retiring!

John
Many wealthy people are little more than janitors of their possessions. | | Frank Lloyd Wright, architect (1867-1959)

muffintops

Post by muffintops » Sun Mar 02, 2014 1:02 pm

Thanks so much for your quick reply!
I found both links to be quite reassuring and also interesting. This topic comes up occasionally with friends, and these two links will be useful references.
Thanks again, Mr. Q.

Duckie

Post by Duckie » Sun Mar 02, 2014 6:43 pm

muffintops wrote:I have $125,000 in Vanguard (Target 2020 & 2025, & GNMA) It's 50% stocks/50% bonds, somewhat conservative allocations.
Are these Vanguard funds in a 403b plan or in a rollover IRA at Vanguard?
Also $14,000 Roth IRA
Is the Roth IRA at Vanguard?
I am working to my goal of having at least $10,000 as "savings."
I am retired with a pension. $10K is my emergency fund amount. I hold it at Vanguard in Prime Money Market which makes virtually no interest but is available if I need it. A generic savings account would work fine for you. You could also consider 
I savings bonds through Treasury Direct as a second-tier emergency fund. You can't liquidate for the first year. The Roth IRA is also a second-tier emergency fund.

Do you want your AA to be 50% stocks, 50% bonds? What about international?

Do your three government pensions have COLA (cost of living allowance)?

Are you taking Social Security yet? Are you eligible?