Guaranteed 7% return too good to be true??

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
hellobogle

Guaranteed 7% return too good to be true??

Post by hellobogle » Sat Mar 01, 2014 6:02 pm

Hello! I am new to investing, and I would like to take time now to develop a strategy that I can stick to so I can avoid making poor decisions in the future. I think I'm set on a Target Retirement Fund in my Roth IRA. But for my 403b, I'm tempted to go 100% into the Fixed Return fund with a guaranteed 7% return. Or is there a catch?

Emergency funds: 3 month emergency fund
Debt: No debt
Tax Filing Status: Single
Tax Rate: 25% Federal, 6.45% State
State of Residence: New York
Desired Asset allocation: 80% stocks / 20% bonds
Desired International allocation: 30% of stocks

Current retirement assets

Pension
2% of max salary ($100,000) each year after 25 years of service
+1.5% each additional year over 30 years
(If I retire when I'm 55, I will have 32 years or 63% of final salary which would be $63,000)
(If I retire when I'm 63, I will have 40 years or 75% of final salary which would be $75,000)

Roth IRA-
$1000 Vanguard Target Retirement 2050 Fund (VFIFX)

403b-Tax deferred
$0

Contributions

New annual Contributions
5% salary to pension
$5,500 to Roth IRA for 2013 and 2014
5-10% salary to 403b

Available funds

Funds available in 403(b)

Fixed Return Fund/Pension Fund: To provide a fixed rate of return, determined by the New York State Legislature in accordance with applicable laws. 7% for TDA investments by members who are serving in (or resigned/retired from) titles represented by the United Federation of Teachers. The crediting rate of 7% has been in effect since December 11, 2009. The prior crediting rate of 8.25% was in effect from July 1, 1988 through December 10, 2009. The Pension Fund consists of U.S. and international equities and fixed-income instruments, with smaller allocations made to private equity and real estate investments. It contains the City’s contributions toward TRS members’ retirement allowances (pension reserves) and members’ contributions to the Qualified Pension Plan (QPP). It also includes the assets of the Fixed Return Fund, an investment option for members that provides a fixed rate of return, determined by the New York State Legislature in accordance with applicable laws.

Diversified Equity Fund: The Diversified Equity Fund invests primarily in U.S. equities. The fund may also invest in international equities and other investments that may exhibit fixed-income characteristics. The objective is to achieve a rate of return comparable to the return of the broad equity market, with less volatility

Bond Fund: The Bond Fund invests primarily in a portfolio or portfolios of high-quality bonds that provide for participant transactions at market value. These bonds may include Treasuries, Agencies, Corporates, Mortgages, and other types of fixed-income instruments. The objective is primarily to seek current income from a diversified portfolio of high-quality bonds.

International Equity Fund: The International Equity Fund invests primarily in the stocks of non-U.S., developed-market companies traded on a variety of stock exchanges and denominated in a variety of currencies around the world. The objectives are to provide long-term capital growth and to achieve a rate of return comparable to the return of the non-U.S. developed equity markets over a full market cycle.

Inflation Protection Fund: The Inflation Protection Fund invests in assets that may include but are not limited to commodities, real estate securities, and inflation-linked bonds. The objective is to provide a positive real rate of return that exceeds inflation over a full market cycle. (PIMCO All Asset Fund PASAX)

Socially Responsive Equity Fund: The Socially Responsive Equity Fund primarily invests in U.S. equities. The fund attempts to avoid companies that receive a significant portion of their revenue from alcohol, tobacco, nuclear power, or weapons. The objectives are to achieve positive long-term capital growth and to earn a rate of return comparable to the return of the broader equity market while reflecting social priorities over a full market cycle. (Neuberger Berman Socially Responsive Fund NBSRX)

Here is a link for more information on the fund options.

Questions:

1. What should be my allocation in the 403b?
I don't really like the fund options because they are actively managed, and the documentation lists 3 pages of manager and management companies. However, after reading posts from other Bogleheads, it sounded like the fixed return fund is almost too good to be true. Apparently the NY state law guarantees it will never drop below 7%. Should I just put everything into the Fixed fund? The only thing is that I am already contributing 5% of my paycheck to this fund through my pension contributions. Is it bad to also invest my 403b into the same fund? I am envisioning the 403b and Roth IRA as a sort of back up incase there are no pensions by the time I retire. But maybe the Roth is enough of a backup? As an alternative, I could do something like the following to be more diversified:
50% diversified equity
25% international equity
10% bond
15% fixed return

2. They say your investment rate matters more than your rate of return when you are just starting out. Can I invest more of my emergency fund into the Roth IRA since I can withdraw contributions without penalty?

3. I am not quite sure when I will retire. It is somewhere between 2042-2049. I chose the 2050 target date fund, but now I am second-guessing myself. The fund is essentially the same as the 2045 but the glide paths are different. I like the idea of the glide path, but I'm not sure of the exact timing I want to make the switch. Does it matter? Is there any downside to changing my investment fund date as I get closer to retirement? Would Lifestrategy fund be better?

4. Should I lump sum, dollar cost average, or value average my contributions to the Roth IRA. Remember, I need to add $4,500 by April 15th.
Last edited by hellobogle on Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

deikel

Re: Guaranteed 7% return too good to be true??

Post by deikel » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:48 pm

SInce you are just starting out and have many years to optimize your plan as you go, here are just some thoughts:

- dont count on you pension just yet, you just started, who knows if you will still be at this company/employer in 30 yrs - somewhat unlikely IMO
- AA: Skip the target funds or any % in bonds at this time. Bonds are currently dismal in return and you have so many years to come....no reason to have bonds (aka cash) sitting around idle and not working for you. Yes the market could crash tomorrow, but really if you dont think the market will recover within 30yrs, you should not invest in stocks at all - bonds come into play later in life when you dont want to loose your money when the retirement goal is in sight.
- if you are in the 25% tax bracket, than I assume you would qualify for T-IRA deductions, you should take that tax break rather than paying post tax into Roth ?
- You can borrow against yourself from Roth, but you have to pay it back in the same year I believe - so don't dump your emergency funds in there, they are intended to be cash or its equivalent
- dont do thinks just for tax reasons, consider if you would do it regardless of tax consequences and consider the tax advantage the icing on the cake, not the reason to do it to begin with
- I am not sure I totally understand how your pension works, but basically, dump everything into domestic stock fund with lowest fee structure - the rest is not truely diversified anyway (no need to split US vs ROW) and for stock/bond, see above
- start out simple with a one fund approach (or two since you have more than one account) and try to save as much as you reasonably can, but also work up your emergency funds to 6-12 months of expenses

my 2 cents
Everything you read in this post is my personal opinion. If you disagree with this disclaimer, please un-read the text immidiatly and destroy any copy or remembrance of it.

deikel

Post by deikel » Sat Mar 01, 2014 7:53 pm

Oh, I missed the best:

7% garuanteed...indeed sounds to good to be true, is there really something like that ? Last years S+P increase was 33 % or so, so if you had it in S+P500 you made the equivalent of ca 4.5 yrs of this offering...I have no clue if this offering is legit or not, but it sounds rather strange that anyone would garuantee such a return given the current bond market, is this post fees ? What are the fees if not ? I would read much more about this before committing any money into it.

If it is indeed 7% return, I would consider it as a(freaking awesome) bond - no more no less
Everything you read in this post is my personal opinion. If you disagree with this disclaimer, please un-read the text immidiatly and destroy any copy or remembrance of it.

MathWizard

Post by MathWizard » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:15 pm

To provide a fixed rate of return, determined by the New York State Legislature in accordance with applicable laws. 7% for TDA investments by members who are serving in (or resigned/retired from) titles represented by the United Federation of Teachers. The crediting rate of 7% has been in effect since December 11, 2009. The prior crediting rate of 8.25% was in effect from July 1, 1988 through December 10, 2009
I would not take the 7% guaranteed, or maybe just put a small portion in it.

The "guaranteed" 8.25% was only guaranteed for 18 1/2 years , how long is the 7% "guaranteed" for?

The 7% return is what the guaranteeing company thinks it can get on the money plus their profit.

I would actually like to get in on a deal like this, on the other side. Especially if I coould lower
my guarantee if economic conditions warranted.

If I could get the contributions of all teachers in New York state always getting new teachers in, I would
guarantee them a 7% return, and keep the excess.
One would probably need a business with lots of assets to meet the regulatory requirements.
Long-term I have no question that I can get 7% nominal. I got about nearly that during the
"lost decade" of the 2000's. If one is maintaining a float of billions of dollars of contributions each year,
and earn just 7.1%, while paying out 7% , the profit is 0.1% of one billion dollars, or $10Million a year.

mnvalue

Post by mnvalue » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:20 pm

- In the 25% tax bracket, Traditional tax-deferred savings options (in your case, 403b, governmental 457 if offered) should be preferred over Roth for retirement contributions, unless the options are horrible.
- If you can't afford to max out your Roth IRA with retirement contributions, you might still want to consider it for your emergency fund. The theory behind using a Roth for your emergency fund is that in the worst case, you can pull your contributions out at any time. So, if over a few years, you contribute $10,000 in e-fund to a Roth, you can withdraw that $10,000 no problem. You can't withdraw earnings the same way, but they'll be fairly minimal (since the emergency fund would be conservatively invested). However, if you don't have a big emergency, then you've increased your available Roth space. You can't put that $10,000 back, unless you happen to have that money back within 60 days; then I believe you can call it a rollover if you put it in a different Roth IRA. (Maybe the same one is allowed?) You're allowed one of those per 12 months.
- If you put any emergency fund money into a Roth, don't invest that in stocks; use a short-term bond fund (or an intermediate-term bond fund at most) to start with. If you eventually overfund your emergency fund by about 30%, then switching to a 40% stocks, 60% bond LifeStrategy fund would work. (See this for an explanation of the concept, though again, I'd use Vanguard Lifestrategy fund rather than paying more money to Betterment for the same allocation: https://www.betterment.com/blog/2013/08 ... -is-wrong/)

MathWizard: The OP's link talks about the 7% as a crediting rate. That, to me, makes it sound like the 7% is guaranteed in the present. If it changed to 0% in the future, one could just re-allocate to a new investment option. This would be the same as if a savings account, EE savings bond, etc. was presently offering 7%.

Allan12

Post by Allan12 » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:00 pm

Yes, the current rate is 7%.

Have a relative that is a NYC teacher.

My thought is to max out the TDA with as much as possible guaranteed at 7% and reevaluate the next time the rate changes, if it does.

The TDA is also great since if you retire at 55, you can withdraw without a penalty, since you separated your service.

z3r0c00l

Post by z3r0c00l » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:30 pm

My elementary school teachers retired as millionaires off the TDA. It used to be 8%. It is one of the best deals in the investing world today. Helps compensate for only moderate pay, and a job that is, let's face it, stressful at times.

White Coat Investor

Post by White Coat Investor » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:20 pm

7% guaranteed? That would be a significant portion of my asset allocation.
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

Dale_G

Post by Dale_G » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:31 pm

It would be 100% of my allocation.

Dale
Volatility is my friend

sunnywindy

Post by sunnywindy » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:38 pm

If you look at the Fund Profile document (page 13), the ER for the Fixed Return Fund is.....ZERO! "No administrative or fund management expenses apply against the Fixed Return Fund." I agree with other poster that the Fixed Return Fund is one of the specific perks to keep you retained and happy at your (stressful) job, so I would recommend taking advantage of it.
Last edited by sunnywindy on Sun Mar 02, 2014 12:30 am, edited 1 time in total.