Investment Portfolio Software

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
jd990

Investment Portfolio Software

Post by jd990 »

Is there a portfolio management software which allows the user to download data from the Thrift Savings Plan and Treasury Direct Online? The “Vanguard Portfolio Watch” can successfully link to the above accounts but it is not able to correctly determine the portfolio allocation for these outside investments.
leonidas

Re: Investment Portfolio Software

Post by leonidas »

Quicken does both. The upgrade fee every three years bugged me so I pretty much left them. Some web sites I found are jemstep and personal capital which are free.
robertalpert

Post by robertalpert »

jd990 wrote:Is there a portfolio management software which allows the user to download data from the Thrift Savings Plan and Treasury Direct Online? The “Vanguard Portfolio Watch” can successfully link to the above accounts but it is not able to correctly determine the portfolio allocation for these outside investments.
I have used Personal Capital and I think it can link to Thrift Savings Plans.
I also use Vanguard Portfolio Watch, but was unaware that it can link to any account outside of Vanguard. I can key in outside investments manually.

Can you explain about how Portfolio Watch links to outside accounts?
WallyBird

Post by WallyBird »

I've kept an older version of Quicken (2003, I think) going ever since they started forcing upgrades. It works fine for tracking transactions and the like.

For rebalancing and expense tracking, I set up a fairly simple Excel spreadsheet. Over the years I've had the fun of watching the aggregate ER of my holdings drop from about 0.5 to 0.17 percent-- and still falling. Now that's entertainment!
"Look, sir, we can't just do nothing." | "Why not? It's usually best."