CA tax-exempt funds and TurboTax

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
drew

CA tax-exempt funds and TurboTax

Post by drew »

I hold a couple of CA tax-exempt municipal bond/money market funds and received the 1099-INT forms for them. After entering the information in TurboTax and running the federal review, I'm receiving an error saying that they need a state ID for the state from which the tax-exempt income was received. This information does not appear to be on the 1099-INT nor on any of the accompanying explanatory brochures. Has anyone run into this? Thanks in advance!
tfb

Post by tfb »

When you enter the number, the next screen asked you which state the income came from. Go back and make sure you marked Calif. there. Vanguard's CA tax-exempt funds are 100% in that state.
Harry Sit has left the forums.
Topic Author
drew

Post by drew »

Just to expand in case anyone else runs across this problem, I imported the 1099-INT from Vanguard. Apparently this import did not run through the full interview section for tax-exempt interest.

As TFB suggested, I went back to the "Interest on 1099-INT" section (not the "Tax-Exempt Interest" section) and edited each of the entries for the CA tax-exempt funds. After just accepting each of the imported entries by clicking "Continue" through to the end, including the last screen which asks from which state the interest originated, I re-ran the review and it passes without issue. Thanks for the reply!