Feel as if I am stuck now...Some clarity needed

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
alwayshedge

Feel as if I am stuck now...Some clarity needed

Post by alwayshedge »

I am 28 years old and I did not participate in the market rally of the past 4 years due to fear and some bad advice given from some people I trusted. I now have a cash account and cash retirement account with not much to show for it. I have come to the point where I feel I cannot afford to miss much more. My Roth IRA has 11k in it right now cash. Should I go ahead and diversify these funds into target retirement accounts/index funds? Any assistance would be much appreciated.
Thanks!

Emergency funds: 1 yr emergency saved up
Debt: Mortgage at 4% fixed
Tax Filing Status: Single
Tax Rate: 28% Federal, No state tax
State of Residence: FL
Desired Asset allocation: 80% stocks / 20% bonds
Desired International allocation: 30% of stocks
Last edited by alwayshedge on Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
momar

Re: Feel as if I am stuck now...Some clarity needed

Post by momar »

Yes. Start now.
"Index funds have a place in your portfolio, but you'll never beat the index with them." - Words of wisdom from a Fidelity rep
baw703916

Post by baw703916 »

momar wrote:Yes. Start now.
I agree. The important thing is to get unstuck and start participating. I don't know that the market won't go down, but an investor your age should hold mostly equities.
Most of my posts assume no behavioral errors.
Topic Author
alwayshedge

Post by alwayshedge »

My 401k has roughly 45k sitting in a money market account. I contribute about 20% of my paycheck into it. Should I average into the market slowly or just lump it into target funds and change my contributions into these funds as well?

Thanks for the tips guys..
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

On one hand you should have plenty of equities. On the other hand, you are gun shy and the market is high. When you cannot choose a hand, do a bit of each. For example, put 30% of your current assets into a stock fund (something like TSM) and direct all new contributions into stocks.

Hope you have a better luck with our advice than the one you had for the past four years. Note the word "luck." Nobody knows nothing.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

alwayshedge wrote:My 401k has roughly 45k sitting in a money market account. I contribute about 20% of my paycheck into it. Should I average into the market slowly or just lump it into target funds and change my contributions into these funds as well?
Welcome! That's a popular question. The short answer is that, unless you have strong feelings against moving a large amount of money in one fell swoop, go for one lump. The numbers are in your favor.

Dump it into a target retirement fund that matches your desired asset allocation. The funds are named according to your date of retirement, but you should invest in the one that matches your desired asset allocation. If you have no idea what it should be try, 70% stocks / 30% bonds (which is roughly "your age in bonds" - a good rule of thumb). See: Rules of thumb. Also: Target date retirement funds
Wiki wrote:When choosing a fund, the Bogleheads recommendation is to ignore the fund's date. Instead, determine the amount of risk the investor is willing to tolerate and work backwards to find a fund that matches the chosen stock/bond allocation. The investor may be surprised to find a large discrepancy between the planned retirement date and the fund's target date. Remember that the fund does not know the individual investor.
BTW, you can transfer funds without penalty in a retirement account, like a 401(k). If you change your mind down the road, it's no problem (meaning that you don't pay taxes on capital gains when you sell / buy funds).

There's nothing wrong with a target retirement fund. It's simple to manage - there's nothing to do. You've posted in an investing forum, so you're going to get suggestions on how to do the same thing with individual funds (like Total Stock Market). It's up to you.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Topic Author
alwayshedge

Post by alwayshedge »

I think my plan here is to make the necessary changes and not login to my 401k so much to view as I was doing this almost every day. I was essentially viewing this account as a normals savings account when I should have had a long term "retirement" view on it.

Here are the funds my 401k offers. I was just looking at putting it all into the vanguard 2060 target but any feedback/allocation opinions are appreciated.

Lazard Emerging Markets Equity
American Funds EuroPacific Growth
Vanguard Total International
Northern Global Real Estate IndexView Prospectus
Franklin High Income A
Pimco Total Return-Inst
Vanguard Total Bond Market Index
Spartan 500 Index Fund Advantage
T Rowe Price Blue Chip Growth
T Rowe Price Equity Inc
Vanguard Mid Capitalization Index Signal
Vanguard Mid Cap Growth
Artisan Mid Cap Value
Vanguard Target Retirement Income
Goldman Sachs Small Cap Value a
Vanguard Small Cap Index Signal
Vanguard Small Cap Growth Index Admiral
Wells Fargo Stable Val C
Target Date 2000-2010
Vanguard Target Retirement 2010
Target Date 2011-2015
Vanguard Target Retirement 2015
Target Date 2016-2020
Vanguard Target Retirement 2020
Target Date 2021-2025
Vanguard Target Retirement 2025
Target Date 2026-2030
Vanguard Target Retirement 2030
Target Date 2031-2035
Vanguard Target Retirement 2035
Target Date 2036-2040
Vanguard Target Retirement 2040
Target Date 2041-2045
Vanguard Target Retirement 2045
Target Date 2046-2050
Vanguard Target Retirement 2050
Target Date 2051+
Vanguard Target Retirement 2055
Vanguard Target Retirement 2060
Johm221122

Post by Johm221122 »

Pick a vanguard target retirement account with AA you like and put it all in there including ira.If exspense ratio is not overly high(we really need exspense ratio )
John
Watty

Post by Watty »

I am 28 years old ...Any assistance would be much appreciated.
Moving $1,000 or $2,000 a month into something like a targeted retirement fund would be reasonable if you don't want to move it all at once. Even if that is not the mathematically best way to do it a big advantage is that you are less likely to be "gun shy" if you put the money in the market just before a large drop.

Ironically since you have about 40 years until you retire you would really do a lot better if the market declined and was low while you are making your future retirement contributions since you would be buying stocks at lower priced during your accumulation phase.

Think about it this way, if you had some sort of magic dial that could control the stock market for the next twenty years while you are building up your retirement savings then you would turn it down so that you could buy your stocks while they were inexpensive so don't freak out if stocks go down after your put your initial savings into the stock market.
manwithnoname

Post by manwithnoname »

alwayshedge wrote:I am 28 years old and I did not participate in the market rally of the past 4 years due to fear and some bad advice given from some people I trusted. I now have a cash account and cash retirement account with not much to show for it. I have come to the point where I feel I cannot afford to miss much more. My Roth IRA has 11k in it right now cash. Should I go ahead and diversify these funds into target retirement accounts/index funds? Any assistance would be much appreciated.
Thanks!

Emergency funds: 1 yr emergency saved up
Debt: Mortgage at 4% fixed
Tax Filing Status: Single
Tax Rate: 28% Federal, No state tax
State of Residence: FL
Desired Asset allocation: 80% stocks / 20% bonds
Desired International allocation: 30% of stocks
Put the fund into the spartan 500 index fund and add more each year.
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

What are the expense ratios of the funds? Note that your 401(k) custodian may charge (much) more than if you invested directly with Vanguard or Fidelity.

Victoria
WINNER of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek »

alwayshedge wrote:Here are the funds my 401k offers. I was just looking at putting it all into the vanguard 2060 target but any feedback/allocation opinions are appreciated.
How comfortable are you with Rebalancing? If you go with separate funds, you'll need to do this once a year. Unless you check those funds everyday, in which case you might be tempted to do this more frequently. From an emotional perspective, it might drive you crazy.

The target retirement funds take care of this automatically, which is why they are called "set and forget" funds. Easy. You'll probably find that it's cheaper to go with separate funds than a target retirement fund. OTOH, if a target retirement fund keeps you from doing the wrong thing, the cost difference to go with separate funds isn't worth it.
Wiki To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.
Topic Author
alwayshedge

Post by alwayshedge »

Here are the ER for the funds. Thanks!

http://i.imgur.com/KYfb0A8.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/eUUCmiC.jpg
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

alwayshedge wrote:Here are the ER for the funds. Thanks!

http://i.imgur.com/KYfb0A8.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/eUUCmiC.jpg
Fidelity Spartan 500 Index at 0.05 e.r. looks good. And any of the Vanguard Target Retirement Funds are fine at 0.16-0.18 e.r. Your employer provides you with too many choices, which is not a good thing. No wonder you could not decide. But the good news is that the funds are offered at cost and you have some great options.

Victoria
Topic Author
alwayshedge

Post by alwayshedge »

Thanks Victoria. What do you think of the Vanguard International? I figured global stocks haven't appreciated as much yet as domestic so maybe there is some extra room there to allocate?
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

alwayshedge wrote:Thanks Victoria. What do you think of the Vanguard International? I figured global stocks haven't appreciated as much yet as domestic so maybe there is some extra room there to allocate?
I think that Vanguard Total International Stock Index Signal is great, too. You are right that the global equities have not appreciated as well as the U.S. market have, but remember that we don't know anything that the markets don't.

You really can't go wrong with almost anything your decide, whether you choose a Target fund or some combination of US stocks, International stocks and bonds with low e.r. Even if you invest and the markets pull back shortly afterwards, it will be a learning experience with relatively small losses. And now that you've discovered this site, you will get a lot of support during the next market decline(s).

Good luck,

Victoria
matjen

Post by matjen »

Three things stand out to me. 1) you are still very, very young and have plenty of time. Heck, a bear market would be a good thing for you potentially (assuming you made decent money and could save which it appears you can), 2) you now know how dangerous all in/all out market timing can be, 3) you asked for clarity.

Answer: Select a Target fund near your retirement time frame and put it all in now. Then forget about it. As the saying goes, it's time in the market not timing the market. That is clarity in my mind.
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.
Phineas J. Whoopee

Post by Phineas J. Whoopee »

Hi alwayshedge, and welcome to the forum!

Contributing 20% of your pay to your 4011(k) is a wonderful place to be. That said, your tax bracket indicates you make $90k or more. Can you bump it up to 25%? How about 22%? Are you bumping up against the $17,500 contribution limit? Don't let that stop you. Add the rest to your Roth IRA. If you're running out of contribution limit room there ask and we'll suggest still more ideas.

You're saving something like $17,500 per year, and you have about $56,000 to invest. That means for 2013, 2014, and many, many years into the future the value of your retirement portfolio will go up mostly by new savings. $17,500 / $56,000 = ~38%. Whether markets move up or down, or by how much, or when, won't make that much difference until your portfolio is large relative to your savings.

I agree with the ideas to use a Target Retirement fund. Given what you've shared with us, initially I would choose one for an earlier date than you think you might retire, because it will be less volatile. The 2020, or perhaps 2025 funds sound like they might be about your speed. Don't worry, for now, about being aggressive. Why? I already said: the value of your retirement portfolio will go up mostly by new savings.

There are two dangers you face at this point, really. One is that you stop saving so much. The other is you experience your first major decline in the value of your portfolio (that will happen, repeatedly - you already know this but a target retirement fund doesn't behave like a savings account) and panic sell. With a shorter-dated Target Retirement fund two things will happen: the value will be less volatile; and you won't be tempted to look at asset classes in isolation, which is what trips many people up.

After your first market decline or two you might decide to increase the equity percentage. But don't worry too much. I'll say it a third time: your new savings dominates the equation for now.

Again, great start, you're doing the right things, you didn't miss very much actual dollar value in the runup because your assets weren't very large, and you've come to the right place.

Best wishes.

PJW
matjen

Post by matjen »

Phineas J. Whoopee wrote: I agree with the ideas to use a Target Retirement fund. Given what you've shared with us, initially I would choose one for an earlier date than you think you might retire, because it will be less volatile. The 2020, or perhaps 2025 funds sound like they might be about your speed. Don't worry, for now, about being aggressive. Why? I already said: the value of your retirement portfolio will go up mostly by new savings.

There are two dangers you face at this point, really. One is that you stop saving so much. The other is you experience your first major decline in the value of your portfolio (that will happen, repeatedly - you already know this but a target retirement fund doesn't behave like a savings account) and panic sell. With a shorter-dated Target Retirement fund two things will happen: the value will be less volatile; and you won't be tempted to look at asset classes in isolation, which is what trips many people up.

After your first market decline or two you might decide to increase the equity percentage. But don't worry too much. I'll say it a third time: your new savings dominates the equation for now.
+1 Very good advice and well reasoned and stated.
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.
epictetus

Post by epictetus »

I agree with the posters who say put it all in one of the target date funds.

one caution: be prepared for the value of your account to go down 50% of the percentage you hold in stocks (for example if you hold 80% in stocks then be prepared for the value of your account to go down 40%). knowing this can happen anytime, will happen sometime and can last for awhile can help you not panic when it does happen.

the worst thing to do is to get in the habit of buying high and selling low. better to adopt a more conservative stock allocation that will allow you to stay the course during the down times. the key thing is to find a strategy you are comfortable with and stay with it. not so hard to have a high stock allocation when the stock market is hitting new high every day. can be quite hard to do when stock market is hitting new low everyday.

all the best
Focus on what you can control
Topic Author
alwayshedge

Post by alwayshedge »

Thank you all so much for the advice. I have noted all the recommendations and will begin work on this today. Another quick question...I foudn out my 401k allows for Roth 401k contributions. I have been doing traditional contributions this whole time. Should I change this up to Roth?
pkcrafter

Post by pkcrafter »

alwayshedge, hmmm, interesting name. I wanted to add a note of caution.
I am 28 years old and I did not participate in the market rally of the past 4 years due to fear and some bad advice given from some people I trusted.

Being out of the market for 4 years is a long time and it suggests you might be more risk averse than you know. The point is you should carefully asses your risk tolerance because it sounds like it might be lower than the asset allocation you want to use--90% stock. It does no good to be aggressive if you don't have the emotional tolerance to stay fully invested. Once you've decided on an AA that matches your emotional tolerance, add 40% of equity AA into the market and dollar cost the rest in over a period of 12-15 months. If the market experiences a significant drop during that time, be prepared to add everything not already invested.

Paul
When times are good, investors tend to forget about risk and focus on opportunity. When times are bad, investors tend to forget about opportunity and focus on risk.
Phineas J. Whoopee

alwayshedge wrote:Thank you all so much for the advice. I have noted all the recommendations and will begin work on this today. Another quick question...I foudn out my 401k allows for Roth 401k contributions. I have been doing traditional contributions this whole time. Should I change this up to Roth?
If your tax rates stay the same now through retirement it makes no difference. An awful lot of people find they can get by on less income in retirement (no more need to save for retirement, for one thing, and payroll taxes end), putting them into lower brackets.

I know it's sort of rooting against one's own income to plan based on lower brackets, but it's also usually wise.

We all like to think we'll end up being extremely wealthy. Somebody will be. If it's me, I'll pay my tax and stay happy with my fabulous finances.

At 28% and 28 years old your bracket may well go up. Roths are good if your retirement average tax rate is higher than your pre-retirement marginal tax rate. It's unlikely. The numbers say use traditional, not Roth.

If traditional 401(k) is maxed out and you don't qualify to make tax-deductible contributions to a traditional IRA, a Roth IRA is usually better than investing in taxable. Savings bonds have their place as well. If both are full, invest in your taxable account.

And hang on to that emergency fund. :wink:

Your mileage may vary, of course.

PJW
sambb

Post by sambb »

Put the money into vanguard balanced with averaging over a year. A 60-40 mix is a perfect place to start for a few years. If you can't stomach that over 3 years, then it will be hard to do much else. In the end this amount of money is a nice way to start small as your income increases.
Phineas J. Whoopee

matjen wrote:...
+1 Very good advice and well reasoned and stated.
Thank you for saying so.
PJW
retiredjg

Post by retiredjg »

pkcrafter wrote:Being out of the market for 4 years is a long time and it suggests you might be more risk averse than you know. Paul
I agree. Being out of the market for the last 4 years indicates something important.

I suggest you start at something somewhat conservative for your age, say 60% stocks and 40% bonds. Or 50/50. After you have gone through a crash without becoming anxious and cranky and without selling, you will have a better handle on what your true risk tolerance is. At that point you could exchange your target fund to one more aggressive. Or stick with what you have if you were uncomfortable during the crash.
Thales

Post by Thales »

I agree with others who are basically questioning your knowledge. Stocks go up and down and you cannot have one without the other. The fact they go up and down a lot is what makes them go up in the long term, You really need some mathematical know how to grasp what is going on and failing that you are taking a lot on trust. Read a few books about the theory.

Investors buy stocks at the top and sell them at the bottom. We are topping with potentially large falls. This is exactly what you want. Yep. You want to buy shares in a collapsing market and the cheaper they get the better your long term returns become.

Dripping your money in over the next few years alongside increasing your financial know how is an idea rather than putting the whole lot in and then learning what you have done. It can be an expensive education. Especially so if you give up and get out at rock bottom.
Topic Author
alwayshedge

Post by alwayshedge »

Thank you all for your advice. I have gone ahead and send in the request to purchase the Vanguard Target 2030 which has a roughly 80/20 ratio. I will also be increasing my contributions in order to DCA in the event of any decline. I think at my age, this is suitable. Thank you guys again for showing me some of the light.
pingo

Post by pingo »

Good to hear!

Don't stop reading and learning at least enough to have conviction in your decision and the advice given. I agree 100% with the recommendations in this thread, by the way. You might even come back and re-read it every so often to re-check your assumptions and decisions with the advice provided and the new things you're learning. Most of all, leave that wonderful target fund alone to let it do the work for you. If you realize a more conservative allocation is more appropriate, it is perfectly okay to switch to a different one. Just beware that one of the worse times to change course is after you see big losses (which you will see on occasion), so prepare for turbulence ahead.

:beer