Best Personal Service for Near-Retiree w/ $1m+

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
MBAkid24

Best Personal Service for Near-Retiree w/ $1m+

Post by MBAkid24 »

I've been pestering my Dad for a couple of years to get his investing in order. He has a hodgepodge of leftover 401ks, IRA's, wife's old 401k, piles of cash, etc spread across multiple companies. None of it has any sort of investing strategy behind it and there are probably some high fees involved.

He's finally wanting to sit down and get it all straightened out over Christmas when I visit. He knows I love Vanguard and will probably encourage him to move everything there. I'm trying to figure out the best firm for him to invest with, though, given that he is going to probably want account service / advice along the way. I can see him benefiting from having "a guy" he can call with questions.

Given that he has over $1 million to roll over, can anyone speak to the level of service and attention he would get at different companies? How is Vanguard Flagship? How is the comparable thing at Fidelity, or another provider? Has anyone just been "wowed" by great service somewhere? I appreciate any insights.
TheTimeLord

Re: Best Personal Service for Near-Retiree w/ $1m+

Post by TheTimeLord »

I have accounts at both Vanguard and Fidelity and personally find Fidelity's customer service to be much better plus you can get the Fidelity AmEx and Visa cards for cash back into his investment account. Also Fidelity may have a local branch close where he could actually go in and talk to a live person. With all that I would probably recommend having an account at both, he has enough invested he should be able to split it and still get upgraded service from either.
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

I demand impeccable service and have very high standards. So far, I have not found a firm that has "wowed" me.

Vanguard has face-to-face service now via the internet. Has anybody used it?

And I'll add the following:

I would expect that anybody who would be qualified to help me would have net worth similar or higher than mine and also perhaps be the same age or older, so that they have experienced already what I am experiencing. OTOH, those folks should already be retired, too, since they should have been successful at investing. If they are still working, I have to wonder what went wrong with their investing (and I think of folks like Carl Richards who have published what they did wrong).

Now if they were retired and had a significant net worth and weren't getting paid by anyone, but were just doing it as a hobby and were competent and knowledgable, then I would consider using them for personal service. But I wonder where would one find such folks? 8-) 8-)

Today I spoke to someone at Fidelity about inherited IRA RMDs. She was competent in telling me "We can't give you advice on dealing with the IRS", but there was no connection there for me and no "wow".
Last edited by livesoft on Mon Nov 25, 2013 11:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
momar

Post by momar »

My Flagship rep has always been prompt getting back to me whenever I send an email through the web site.
"Index funds have a place in your portfolio, but you'll never beat the index with them." - Words of wisdom from a Fidelity rep
GMT-8

Post by GMT-8 »

I have had the same Flagship rep for about 6-7 years. He's been with them 10 years. I've asked him to tackle a variety of issues, always had a reasonable response from him, and I'm happy. He will say "I'm not a CPA" or "I'm not a tax advisor" at the appropriate times.
TheGreyingDuke

Post by TheGreyingDuke »

I was in a similar situation a few years back, my father had a pile of certificates in his safe deposit box and a large ledger book that had on its front cover "NOT FOR THE IRS" that recorded every dividend for the previous 26 years, who needs Quicken :happy

The first step was to get to all deposited to an account at Vanguard (he already had money market accounts there and some bond funds) Step 2 was to sit down with a highly recommended advisor, charged us by the hour, for some one time advice (I wanted to vet the simple three portfolio regime.) The we made the changes we needed to make (not that many in the event as he had huge capital gains) but al least we got it all in one place and on one statement. When he died a few years later it made things way easier.
"Every time I see an adult on a bicycle, I no longer despair for the future of the human race." H.G. Wells
carolinaman

Post by carolinaman »

I have accounts at both Fidelity and Vanguard. Premium service at Fidelity gives me access to an assigned customer rep who I meet with a couple of times of year. She is very helpful and does not push Fidelity products. Even though I have more money at Vanguard, I do not qualify for Voyager or Select services. I have used Vanguard's financial planning service which I thought was canned and lightweight. Have done financial plans at Fidelity 2 times and they were much better. My relationship at Fidelity gives me access to more services and their service is always excellent. Vanguard has great funds but their website and service are not as good as Fidelity. Of course I cannot speak to what the Voyager or Flagship customers get which presumably is better.
Topic Author
MBAkid24

Post by MBAkid24 »

livesoft wrote:I would expect that anybody who would be qualified to help me would have net worth similar or higher than mine and also perhaps be the same age or older, so that they have experienced already what I am experiencing. OTOH, those folks should already be retired, too, since they should have been successful at investing. If they are still working, I have to wonder what went wrong with their investing (and I think of folks like Carl Richards who have published what they did wrong).

Now if they were retired and had a significant net worth and weren't getting paid by anyone, but were just doing it as a hobby and were competent and knowledgable, then I would consider using them for personal service. But I wonder where would one find such folks? 8-) 8-)
- And that could have been written by my Dad. Brilliant summary of why he mistrusts most financial advisors.

I appreciate everyone's replies. I think he would like having a physical office to visit if he went with Fidelity. I'll talk it over with him and see where we end up. I've got him pretty bought-in to the idea of indexing and simplification, so now we just need to combine all the funds and implement a plan.
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

MBAkid24 wrote:- And that could have been written by my Dad. Brilliant summary of why he mistrusts most financial advisors.
So when is he going to start his own thread on this forum?
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
midareff

Post by midareff »

momar wrote:My Flagship rep has always been prompt getting back to me whenever I send an email through the web site.
+ 1, same here, and responded promptly by phone when I requested it. I've also had the portfolio review service, which primarily points out where you are over or under market weights and makes recommendations on that basis, at least for me. Much the same information is available on the web site.

I also have accounts at Fido and use that for some things that are competitive with VG and some play money stuff as well as keeping my 2% AMEX and 1.5% Visa happy.

Different companies have different strengths and weaknesses. Use them for their strengths, it's your money.
TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto »

I don't have a lot of questions to ask, the few that I've asked have been competently answered. Every now and then, I've had to transfer an account into Vanguard; they have handled it well.

I think it's a bit "greedy" to want ultra-low costs and superior customer service. That's like complaining about the concierge at a Motel 6. I feel that I get my money's worth at Vanguard even though I don't think we've used a single Flagship perk.
I get the FI part but not the RE part of FIRE.
dbr

Post by dbr »

MBAkid24 wrote:
livesoft wrote:I would expect that anybody who would be qualified to help me would have net worth similar or higher than mine and also perhaps be the same age or older, so that they have experienced already what I am experiencing. OTOH, those folks should already be retired, too, since they should have been successful at investing. If they are still working, I have to wonder what went wrong with their investing (and I think of folks like Carl Richards who have published what they did wrong).

- And that could have been written by my Dad. Brilliant summary of why he mistrusts most financial advisors.

Did you notice the strange resemblance between Livesoft's possible advisors and the group of people who post here?

I appreciate everyone's replies. I think he would like having a physical office to visit if he went with Fidelity. I'll talk it over with him and see where we end up. I've got him pretty bought-in to the idea of indexing and simplification, so now we just need to combine all the funds and implement a plan.
denovo

Post by denovo »

Is anyone concerned that a Fidelity Rep will push said father into high-fee funds or other elite services that are ripoffs? Forwarding information to a whole life insurer, etc?
"Don't trust everything you read on the Internet"- Abraham Lincoln
frugaltype

Post by frugaltype »

MBAkid24 wrote:

For many years I had a male obgyn. Somehow he did not have to have female parts to be a good doctor for women.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

As Jack Bogle often says "you get what you do not pay for".

Fidelity has much higher fees than Vanguard. I would work towards moving the asset to Vanguard.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

TheGreyingDuke wrote:I was in a similar situation a few years back, my father had a pile of certificates in his safe deposit box and a large ledger book that had on its front cover "NOT FOR THE IRS" that recorded every dividend for the previous 26 years, who needs Quicken
That is priceless.

Thank you for sharing.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

denovo wrote:Is anyone concerned that a Fidelity Rep will push said father into high-fee funds or other elite services that are ripoffs? Forwarding information to a whole life insurer, etc?
No. I have never had a Fidelity Rep push or try to push me anywhere. I use their Spartan Index funds which seem to have very good ER to me. Also have a selection of about 65 IShares ETFs you can trade for commision free including ITOT.

https://www.fidelity.com/etfs/ishares
IMHO, Investing should be about living the life you want, not avoiding the life you fear. | Run, You Clever Boy! [9085]
btenny

Post by btenny »

Why don't all you guys/gals go visit a Scottrade office sometime. I am pretty sure there is one nearby. I know first hand they have better service than Fidelity or Vanguard. They are low cost and maybe even lower cost than Vanguard for many low $$ investors. They sell all kinds of funds including all the Vanguard funds and all the Admiral shares. Their trading fees are low. $7 for a etf. They do not charge any annual fees on any accounts. They have a good website and sell all knds of mutual funds from any vendor. They are agnostic....
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

Does Fidelity have an extensive network of offices where investors can visit?

Has anyone ever used their banking services? What are your thoughts on combining everything with them in terms of investing and banking?

Perhaps that would simplify things for the original poster considering he may want an office to visit if Vanguard's web meeting would not be considered.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

abuss368 wrote:As Jack Bogle often says "you get what you do not pay for".

Fidelity has much higher fees than Vanguard. I would work towards moving the asset to Vanguard.
What fees are we talking about? I would like some examples as I have either not found that to be the case or I have missed it.
momar

Post by momar »

btenny wrote:Why don't all you guys/gals go visit a Scottrade office sometime. I am pretty sure there is one nearby. I know first hand they have better service than Fidelity or Vanguard. They are low cost and maybe even lower cost than Vanguard for many low $$ investors. They sell all kinds of funds including all the Vanguard funds and all the Admiral shares. Their trading fees are low. $7 for a etf. They do not charge any annual fees on any accounts. They have a good website and sell all knds of mutual funds from any vendor. They are agnostic....
Why in the world would I ever pay a fee to trade?
"Index funds have a place in your portfolio, but you'll never beat the index with them." - Words of wisdom from a Fidelity rep
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

StarbuxInvestor wrote:

What fees are we talking about? I would like some examples as I have either not found that to be the case or I have missed it.
Simple are the expense ratio's on the majority of funds much higher than the Vanguard average? Perhaps some additional folks with Fidelity expereince can provide additional insight.
denovo

Post by denovo »

StarbuxInvestor wrote:
denovo wrote:Is anyone concerned that a Fidelity Rep will push said father into high-fee funds or other elite services that are ripoffs? Forwarding information to a whole life insurer, etc?
No. I have never had a Fidelity Rep push or try to push me anywhere. I use their Spartan Index funds which seem to have very good ER to me. Also have a selection of about 65 IShares ETFs you can trade for commision free including ITOT.

Is it possible that is an issue of selection bias? You're on this forum, so you're a Boglehead, and he could probably sense you were not interested in their "products". Someone who is not so firmly tied into the BH philosophy may have a different experience. After I moved a considerable amount of money into TD Ameritrade, I got a call from the local office rep who wanted me to come to the office and learn about some of their guided investments and so forth. I gave a firm no and told him I was not interested and I never recieved a second call. I suspect if I wasn't as firm, I would have received more calls.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

momar wrote:
btenny wrote:Why don't all you guys/gals go visit a Scottrade office sometime. I am pretty sure there is one nearby. I know first hand they have better service than Fidelity or Vanguard. They are low cost and maybe even lower cost than Vanguard for many low $$ investors. They sell all kinds of funds including all the Vanguard funds and all the Admiral shares. Their trading fees are low. $7 for a etf. They do not charge any annual fees on any accounts. They have a good website and sell all knds of mutual funds from any vendor. They are agnostic....
Need a little help understanding your question. Could you provide context on how you never pay fees.
denovo

Post by denovo »

StarbuxInvestor wrote:
momar wrote:
Need a little help understanding your question. Could you provide context on how you never pay fees.
Well, I am with TD Ameritrade. Most of the etf's I want are on their no commission list. For the rest, I can usually jawbone them into tossing in a few free trades when I make new contributions, hence I've never paid any fees since they don't have any account maintenance fees.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

denovo wrote:
StarbuxInvestor wrote:

Is it possible that is an issue of selection bias? You're on this forum, so you're a Boglehead, and he could probably sense you were not interested in their "products". Someone who is not so firmly tied into the BH philosophy may have a different experience. After I moved a considerable amount of money into TD Ameritrade, I got a call from the local office rep who wanted me to come to the office and learn about some of their guided investments and so forth. I gave a firm no and told him I was not interested and I never recieved a second call. I suspect if I wasn't as firm, I would have received more calls.
I have accounts at both Fidelity and Vanguard. From Vanguard I receive little or no communication at least that I remember. From Fidelity I get a webinar email about every couple weeks. Had a meeting with my account Exec when I opened the account he asked a few normal questions while setting up the account but no pressure for anything. And I think a rep once asked me when I called if I wanted to schedule a meeting with my Account Exec because I had a large amount of uninvested cash and wanted to know if I wanted some guidance. I said no I use an AA and was in the middle of moving funds and that was that. Plus I found Fidelity far better when I set up my Solo 401K. I would give Vanguard a 7 for customer service and Fidelity a 9+.
momar

Post by momar »

StarbuxInvestor wrote:
momar wrote:
Vanguard offers free trades on Vanguard ETFs, don't they?
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

momar wrote:
StarbuxInvestor wrote:
momar wrote:
Vanguard offers free trades on Vanguard ETFs, don't they?
I believe only on Vanguard ETFs. Fidelity offers free trades on 65 different iShares ETFs.
House Blend

Post by House Blend »

Yeah, totally agree. That Warren Buffett dude is like 80 and still working, and lives in Nebraska. Must be a total loser.
The problem with those folks is that their egos are so big that they've lost any interest in helping others. They'd rather brag about how smart and wealthy they are than respond in constructive ways to those seeking advice.
bigred77

Post by bigred77 »

abuss368 wrote:Does Fidelity have an extensive network of offices where investors can visit?

Has anyone ever used their banking services? What are your thoughts on combining everything with them in terms of investing and banking?

Perhaps that would simplify things for the original poster considering he may want an office to visit if Vanguard's web meeting would not be considered.
abuss368 wrote:
StarbuxInvestor wrote:

Simple are the expense ratio's on the majority of funds much higher than the Vanguard average? Perhaps some additional folks with Fidelity expereince can provide additional insight.
I have to say, I've been VERY pleased with the service I received from Fidelity.

When i first started working, my 401k was set up at Fidelity.

When I wanted to open a Roth IRA, I figured I'd keep it simple and go with them.

When I realized my Student Checking account at BOA was no longer meeting my needs and charging me fees every month, I just went all in on fidelity and opened a brokerage account with checkwriting privileges, online bill pay, and unlimited free ATMs worldwide.

Between my wife and I, we have about 10 different accounts with them. I have no other accounts at any financial institution. My wife insists on keeping her legacy checking and savings accounts open with USAA. I don't mind because we use them for insurance purposes and have been pretty pleased.

With Fidelity, I have never been charged a fee of any kind for their banking services. I have mistakenly written a check without the funds to cover it, they called me, i moved money around, problem solved. I've lost my debit card while traveling, they overnighted me a new one to my hotel, no fees. They reimburse any ATM fee you are charged and don't charge one of their own. They have a very robust online bill pay system. They have a great Iphone app that lets your deposit checks with your cell phone camera. I have been very pleased.

The only downside with their banking products is that their physical offices will not accept cash for deposit. This caused me an issue after my wedding when I wanted to deposit a few thousand dollars in cash but had to have a friend take it to his bank and get a cashier’s check made out in my name. It has admittedly been a minor inconvenience a few other times. They also do not do medallion signatures from what I understand.

On the brokerage side, I also have had very good experiences and low fees. Here are the 3 funds I use with the most money in them:

FXSIX – Spartan S&P 500 Index – ER of 0.04%
FSTVX – Spartan Total Market Index - ER of 0.06%
FSGDX – Spartan Global Ex-US Index (includes EM) – ER of 0.18%

Now I do use 4 Vanguard ETFs at Fidelity because I’m a slicer and dicer (VBR, VSS, VNQ, and VNQI). I am charged $7.95 every transaction. Since I only rebalance with these once a year it costs me about 32 bucks a year. It’s worth it to me to keep the simplicity of having everything at one place.

Just my opinion of Fidelity…
lawman3966

Post by lawman3966 »

One factor to consider is preparation for identity theft.

I am under the impression that Fidelity has a commitment to reimburse its clients for any unauthorized use of the client's accounts.

My recollection is that Vanguard's commitment is narrower, and requires that the client show steps undertaken to prevent fraud etc. Of course, the OP should verify both recollections with the two companies concerned before making a decision.

While I think a fraudster would have difficulty emptying my IRA at Fidelity, it still gives me some peace of mind to know that I've been promised a reimbursement by Fidelity even if a fraudster succeeds in transferring funds out of my account.
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

abuss368 wrote:
StarbuxInvestor wrote:

Here is the info on the funds I hold with Fidelity, these are net ER%:

FINPX - FIDELITY INFLATION PROTECTED BOND 0.45%
FPMAX - SPARTAN EMERGING MKTINDEX FID ADV CL 0.20%
FSEVX - SPARTAN EXTENDED MKTINDEX FID ADV CLASS 0.07%
FSIVX - SPARTAN INTL INDEX FID ADV CLASS 0.12%
FSRVX - SPARTAN REAL ESTATE INDEX FID ADV CLASS 0.09%
FSTVX - SPRTN TOTAL MKT INDXFID ADVANTAGE CLASS 0.06%
FTBFX - FIDELITY TOTAL BOND 0.45%
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

StarbuxInvestor wrote:

No International Real Estate?

Curious why you selected Total Market and also Extended Market. Are these funds like Vanguard in the sense Extended Market is already included in Total Market?
TheTimeLord

Post by TheTimeLord »

abuss368 wrote:
StarbuxInvestor wrote:

Curious why you selected Total Market and also Extended Market. Are these funds like Vanguard in the sense Extended Market is already included in Total Market?
Just for more exposure to small and mid cap stocks. I have gone back and forth on International Real Estate.
abuss368

Post by abuss368 »

StarbuxInvestor wrote:
abuss368 wrote:
StarbuxInvestor wrote:

Just for more exposure to small and mid cap stocks. I have gone back and forth on International Real Estate.
Makes sense. I finally added the International REIT for the additional now 525 companies on top of the 125 US REITs for a total of 650 companies. That is a lot more diversification. While recent performance does not enter into my decision process, I will admit our International REIT fund is beating the US REIT fund this year. I think it also beat the US REIT last year.