any good funds in this list

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
whitecliff

any good funds in this list

Post by whitecliff » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:35 pm

I am thinking about participating in a dental medicaid program through the government that will allow you to defer 17,500 a year of payments into these funds and it does not affect any of your other investments maximums. I am currently about 90/10 equities to bonds and am 30 years old. I am in it for the long haul and dont watch the up and downs much. Here is a list and will add the hyperlink to the page if you want more info. I am wondering if any of the funds are worth investing in. thanks for the help.

https://myplan.ingplans.com/einfo/fundi ... 5322a040ba

Fund Name
BlackRock Treasury Trust Fund
Federated Auto Government
Nationwide Fixed
Valic Fixed Account Plus
Diversified Interest Guarantee
Blackrock Low Duration
SSgA US Bond Index
PIMCO Total Return Fund
Loomis Sayles Global Bond Fund
Aberdeen Global High Income Fund
SSgA S&P 500 Index
Dodge & Cox Stock Fund
Fidelity Advisor New Insights
JP Morgan Mid Cap Value
Goldman Sachs Growth Opportun
Fidelity Adv Small Cap Value
Oppenheimer Discovery
SSgA Glob Equity Ex US Index
Dodge & Cox International Stk
Oppenheimer Developing Mkt A
T Rowe Price Science & Tech
MSCI EAFE Funds

ieee488

Re: any good funds in this list

Post by ieee488 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:54 pm

What is a dental medicaid program?
Never heard of that before.

You need to list the expense ratios, but looking at the list, I'd say funds with "Index" are ones that are going to be the ones I pick.
Dell Optiplex 3020 (Win7 Pro), Dell Precision M6300 (Ubuntu Linux 12.04), Dell Precision M6300 (Win7 Pro), Dell Latitude D531 (Vista)

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Sep 22, 2013 8:56 pm

What you probably need to do is go to the Fund Information page and look at each fact sheet for the expense ratio and asset allocation percentages. It's somewhat tedious, but that's where to find the information.

To start, look for the broad coverage index funds, like SSgA S&P 500 Index, SSgA US Bond Index, SSgA Glob Equity Ex US Index. You might be able to do something with these to build a 3-fund porfolio. Keep it simple.

Update: ieee488 beat me to the post, but I think we're in agreement on the approach.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

whitecliff

Post by whitecliff » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:05 pm

ieee488 wrote:What is a dental medicaid program?
Never heard of that before.

You need to list the expense ratios, but looking at the list, I'd say funds with "Index" are ones that are going to be the ones I pick.

they have dental medicaid in our state for people who qualify. I am a dentist. I only see the kids. They pay about 90% of what blue cross and delta pay. So its not too bad. I live in a lower income area so ALOT of people have it for their kids.

thanks for the comments

LadyGeek
Site Admin

Post by LadyGeek » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:14 pm

I think this is what you mean: This is a retirement plan run by the State of Arkansas, in which you can contribute $17,500 / year. The plan would be funded from income received from a dental medicaid program (you are the dentist here), but you haven't committed to this plan and are wondering how to invest in it.

You want something to match your 90/10 asset allocation, so I'm thinking a Three-fund portfolio to keep things simple. Going by the Vanguard Target Retirement Funds allocations, a 90/10 matches with the 2050 Fund (VFIFX) allocations of 63% Total US stock, 27% Total International, and 10% Total (+ international) Bonds.

Rounding to the nearest 5%; I'd go with 65% US Stock, 25% International, 10% total bonds. Now you need to research the fund info and look for something to match. You can get more complicated, but perhaps:

SSgA US Bond Index 65%
SSgA Glob Equity Ex US Index 25%
SSgA US Bond Index 10%

SSgA - State Street Global Advisors. There might be some better funds (meaning cheaper expense ratios), that's where you need to check the fact sheets. Dodge & Cox is a good name, so is Blackrock - it depends on the published expense ratios and the asset allocations. The MSCI EAFE (international) funds are not listed in your post.
To some, the glass is half full. To others, the glass is half empty. To an engineer, it's twice the size it needs to be.

whitecliff

Post by whitecliff » Sun Sep 22, 2013 9:40 pm

LadyGeek wrote:I think this is what you mean: This is a retirement plan run by the State of Arkansas, in which you can contribute $17,500 / year. The plan would be funded from income received from a dental medicaid program (you are the dentist here), but you haven't committed to this plan and are wondering how to invest in it.

You want something to match your 90/10 asset allocation, so I'm thinking a Three-fund portfolio to keep things simple. Going by the Vanguard Target Retirement Funds allocations, a 90/10 matches with the 2050 Fund (VFIFX) allocations of 63% Total US stock, 27% Total International, and 10% Total (+ international) Bonds.

Rounding to the nearest 5%; I'd go with 65% US Stock, 25% International, 10% total bonds. Now you need to research the fund info and look for something to match. You can get more complicated, but perhaps:

SSgA US Bond Index 65%
SSgA Glob Equity Ex US Index 25%
SSgA US Bond Index 10%

SSgA - State Street Global Advisors. There might be some better funds (meaning cheaper expense ratios), that's where you need to check the fact sheets. Dodge & Cox is a good name, so is Blackrock - it depends on the published expense ratios and the asset allocations. The MSCI EAFE (international) funds are not listed in your post.

thank you ladygeek

SteveB3005

Post by SteveB3005 » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:14 pm

SSgA S&P 500 Index 65%

You knew what she meant though.

fourwedge

Post by fourwedge » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:22 pm

I love the T Rowe Price Science & Tech fund!
Max out your tax sheltered retirement accounts with inexpensive, well diversified, index funds and you will beat 90% of all investors.

pingo

Post by pingo » Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:46 pm

This plan doesn't say directly that it is a governmental 457 plan, but it does refer a lot to rolling over (among other things concerning) "another governmental 457" into this plan...so it would appear to be a 457 plan?

It doesn't make the index fund expense ratios easy to find, but they are very good. To find them out, one has to open up the fact sheet and do a search/find command and type "expense ratio" in the find window. The "Total Annual Operating Expense Ratio" will then be found in the fine print at the bottom of one of the pages. I'll use LadyGeek's excellent example (with one important correction) to add the ERs I found:

65% SSgA S&P 500 Index Fund ER 0.03%
25% SSgA Glob Equity Ex US Index ER 0.17%
10% SSgA US Bond Index ER 0.06%

From the fact sheets: "The Total Annual Operating Expense Ratio of [.03%, .17% and .06%, respectively] reflects all indirect and direct fees and expenses associated with the Fund."

Nice! :sharebeer

whitecliff

Post by whitecliff » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:31 am

pingo wrote:This plan doesn't say directly that it is a governmental 457 plan, but it does refer a lot to rolling over (among other things concerning) "another governmental 457" into this plan...so it would appear to be a 457 plan?

It doesn't make the index fund expense ratios easy to find, but they are very good. To find them out, one has to open up the fact sheet and do a search/find command and type "expense ratio" in the find window. The "Total Annual Operating Expense Ratio" will then be found in the fine print at the bottom of one of the pages. I'll use LadyGeek's excellent example (with one important correction) to add the ERs I found:

65% SSgA S&P 500 Index Fund ER 0.03%
25% SSgA Glob Equity Ex US Index ER 0.17%
10% SSgA US Bond Index ER 0.06%

From the fact sheets: "The Total Annual Operating Expense Ratio of [.03%, .17% and .06%, respectively] reflects all indirect and direct fees and expenses associated with the Fund."

Nice! :sharebeer

yes I found the expense ratios and they were very low. when you say indirect fees are you referring to 12-b1 fees? sorry still new to this stuff?

ieee488

Post by ieee488 » Mon Sep 23, 2013 7:51 am

LadyGeek wrote:I think this is what you mean: This is a retirement plan run by the State of Arkansas, in which you can contribute $17,500 / year. The plan would be funded from income received from a dental medicaid program (you are the dentist here), but you haven't committed to this plan and are wondering how to invest in it.

That makes it clearer.

I did not understand how it was possible for a Medicaid program to be a retirement plan.
Dell Optiplex 3020 (Win7 Pro), Dell Precision M6300 (Ubuntu Linux 12.04), Dell Precision M6300 (Win7 Pro), Dell Latitude D531 (Vista)