Medallion Signature Guarantee

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Calhoon
Posts: 95
Joined: Wed Feb 16, 2011 1:29 pm

Re: Medallion Signature Guarantee

Post by Calhoon » Sat Aug 27, 2016 7:41 am

Just went through this.

Required a Medalliion to transfer 401k from last job over to vanguard. Thing was my local bank did not perform this service, and none of the banks in the area that I called would unless you were a customer. Some then required that you keep the account for a year, or you had to wait two months first. Options were do this, set up a bank account, or the 401k company said I could transfer the money in a series of 150k chunks.

Called Baird. The lady said sure we'll do that for you. Yea, but just be aware I'm not a customer of yours. Oh, that's okay, c'mon in, we'll take care of you. Are you sure. Oh, yea, we're good. Run in and now the policy has changed and they can't do it for a noncustomer. However, the lady who actually did the Medallion said that she'd make an exception since I ran in.

SuzBanyan
Posts: 107
Joined: Thu Jun 02, 2016 11:20 am

Re: Medallion Signature Guarantee

Post by SuzBanyan » Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:55 am

We were told we needed one recently to set up online access to a DRIP account we have had for many years. The reason was that when the account was set up, the owner was listed as my husband and my name, "community property property. " Because the word "property" was repeated, it was set up as a corporate account.

We needed a Signature Medallion to "transfer" the account to ourselves. As long as a Signature Medallion was needed anyway, we transferred the stock in kind to our Vanguard brokerage account.

leonard
Posts: 5993
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:56 am

Re: Medallion Signature Guarantee

Post by leonard » Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:04 am

boglesmind wrote:
leonard wrote:When I transferred to VG - I specifically asked them if they ever required a signature guarantee to transfer securities out OR for any other reason. I checked that fact 3 times and they affirmed each time that they did NOT require one.

So, either they changed their policy OR they have given you miss information.

I most emphatically would not do business with a company that requires a signature guarantee - even VG.


To each his/her own.

Due to flaws in the SWIFT system, hackers were able to electronically transfer/steal close to 100 million dollars from the Federal Reserve Bank of New York account of Bangaladesh and most of funds were not recovered. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Bangladesh_Bank_heist

Many businesses have lost millions of dollars in large wire transfers initiated electronically by fraudulent means without a second level of authentication. Bitcoin (an all electronic crypto currency) exchanges have lost millions of dollars of customers' deposits and have to close down.

Just this week there was a story about NASA refusing to sign off on ATO "authority to operate" for the systems & tools managed by HP. http://arstechnica.com/science/2016/08/nasas-outsourced-computer-people-are-even-worse-than-you-might-expect/
... more than 38,000 ACES-supported computers across all NASA centers have more than 378,000 unpatched vulnerabilities in aggregate. It's speculated that the refusal to sign off on the ATO is designed to bring the deficiencies of the HP contract to the attention of NASA's federal watchdogs, including the Office of Management and Budget, Congress and the US Government Accountability Office.


Electronic systems are only as secure as the human effort that went into making them so. Alas humans are fallible.

Boglesmind


Are you saying an MSG would have prevented any of those?
Leonard | | Market Timing: Do you seriously think you can predict the future? What else do the voices tell you? | | If employees weren't taking jobs with bad 401k's, bad 401k's wouldn't exist.

User avatar
Ged
Posts: 3308
Joined: Mon May 13, 2013 1:48 pm
Location: Roke

Re: Medallion Signature Guarantee

Post by Ged » Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:16 am

mephistophles wrote:Medallion guarantees are standard procedure in the securities business. Notary is not the same thing. We get ours free at our local banking institution. If you don't have one, call ahead and see what they will probably charge you.


"Free" is a subjective thing. When I had to get one for some transactions I was doing I was subjected to a marketing pitch to use the Bank's financial advisors.

I didn't consider the guarantee to be free.

leonard
Posts: 5993
Joined: Wed Feb 21, 2007 11:56 am

Re: Medallion Signature Guarantee

Post by leonard » Sat Aug 27, 2016 10:40 am

Ged wrote:
mephistophles wrote:Medallion guarantees are standard procedure in the securities business. Notary is not the same thing. We get ours free at our local banking institution. If you don't have one, call ahead and see what they will probably charge you.


"Free" is a subjective thing. When I had to get one for some transactions I was doing I was subjected to a marketing pitch to use the Bank's financial advisors.

I didn't consider the guarantee to be free.


Free. Funny.

Wife and I needed a signature guarantee to Xfer out of Merrill. We first took time of off work and went to her bank. They would MSG her signature, but not mine - since I was not an account holder at her bank.

So, we went to my bank - taking some more time off work (which I couldn't really afford to do at the time) to do so. They would MSG my signature, but not hers - since she was not an account holder at my bank.

So, how precisely in this situation is someone supposed to get a required MSG to Xfer accounts - without opening extra accounts with banks around town? It's a very difficult requirement and I am convinced financial institutions like Merrill use it as a tool to slow or deter account transfers.

I needed to get this done - so told my bank if they did not immediately provide a MSG for both of us - I was closing my account right then. They finally, reluctantly agreed.

MSG's are far from "free", eventhough I didn't actually pay for it.
Leonard | | Market Timing: Do you seriously think you can predict the future? What else do the voices tell you? | | If employees weren't taking jobs with bad 401k's, bad 401k's wouldn't exist.

NotWhoYouThink
Posts: 1410
Joined: Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:19 pm

Re: Medallion Signature Guarantee

Post by NotWhoYouThink » Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:05 am

Vanguard asked for a MSG to transfer DH's inherited IRA from Wells Fargo to Vanguard. My prior experience with Vanguard was that they would probably be ok with a voice verification, but posters on this forum have said that WF often requires a MSG to start the transfer away from WF. So we got the MSG from the Wells Fargo Advisor's office. The Advisor and his assistant did everything but hide under their desks to avoid DH, and treated us both with all the respect you would normally accord to crack addicts when we showed up anyway, but we got the MSG.

boglesmind
Posts: 113
Joined: Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:07 pm

Re: Medallion Signature Guarantee

Post by boglesmind » Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:09 am

leonard wrote:
boglesmind wrote:
leonard wrote:When I transferred to VG - I specifically asked them if they ever required a signature guarantee to transfer securities out OR for any other reason. I checked that fact 3 times and they affirmed each time that they did NOT require one.

So, either they changed their policy OR they have given you miss information.

I most emphatically would not do business with a company that requires a signature guarantee - even VG.


To each his/her own.

Due to flaws in the SWIFT system, hackers were able to electronically transfer/steal close to 100 million dollars from the Federal Reserve Bank of New York account of Bangaladesh and most of funds were not recovered. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2016_Bangladesh_Bank_heist

Many businesses have lost millions of dollars in large wire transfers initiated electronically by fraudulent means without a second level of authentication. Bitcoin (an all electronic crypto currency) exchanges have lost millions of dollars of customers' deposits and have to close down.

Just this week there was a story about NASA refusing to sign off on ATO "authority to operate" for the systems & tools managed by HP. http://arstechnica.com/science/2016/08/nasas-outsourced-computer-people-are-even-worse-than-you-might-expect/
... more than 38,000 ACES-supported computers across all NASA centers have more than 378,000 unpatched vulnerabilities in aggregate. It's speculated that the refusal to sign off on the ATO is designed to bring the deficiencies of the HP contract to the attention of NASA's federal watchdogs, including the Office of Management and Budget, Congress and the US Government Accountability Office.


Electronic systems are only as secure as the human effort that went into making them so. Alas humans are fallible.

Boglesmind


Are you saying an MSG would have prevented any of those?


Medallion signature guarantee does 2 things
1. A secure in-person verification system .
2. The person verifying the identity provides insurance coverage that a notary doesn't.

My point is that the SWIFT system fraud can prevented by an independent, second verification system for large financial transactions initiated electronically

The bitcoin exchange example shows that there is no fully secure electronic (crypto currency exchange) system despite bitcoin's claims. http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-08-03/bitcoin-plunges-after-hackers-breach-h-k-exchange-steal-coins. Their customers paid for the mistakes of Mt.Gox and Bitfinex.

The NASA example is to show how difficult it is to keep computer systems secure. In this day and age, therefore, I gladly welcome a requirement for physical signature verification backed by insurance for large account transfers etc. It may not fully prevent fraud (some body could take the trouble to create false identity documents and get a signature guarantee and transfer the funds to their account) but I think of it as insurance for me -- like buyer's title insurance for peace of mind and it is a small premium or inconvenience.

Boglesmind

Spirit Rider
Posts: 6627
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2007 2:39 pm

Re: Medallion Signature Guarantee

Post by Spirit Rider » Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:16 am

afan wrote:That is fascinating. I have had accounts at Bank of America for years. The last time I was in to get something notarized I asked about medallion signatures and they said they only did that for Merrill customers, that the branch managers were no longer permitted to do them. But it routinely the case that the people working in the branches don't know what they are doing.

BoA started phasing out Medallion Signature Guarantees branch by branch over the last one or two years. I would be very surprised if any branches still do them. I found this out when I tried to help my step-daughter receive an inherited IRA. T. Rowe Price insisted on a Medallion Signature Guarantee. When BoA and my credit union said no I was at a loss.

When I called Fidelity to ask them if they knew any banks that still offered them, since my step-daughter was not a Fidelity customer, the CSR asked to put me on hold. When they returned they said to go to the investor center about 10 miles away and the manager would gladly do it for her even though she wasn't a customer.
Last edited by Spirit Rider on Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

vtMaps
Posts: 312
Joined: Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:05 pm
Location: central Vermont

Re: Medallion Signature Guarantee

Post by vtMaps » Sat Aug 27, 2016 11:27 am

When I wanted to link my local brick & mortar bank to treasury direct, the bank would not do a MSG because there was unlimited liability for them. I was not asking them to guarantee a particular transaction, just for general linkage so I could buy or redeem ibonds.

The branch manager said they were in the process of implementing some other type of signature guarantee that was not medallion and had no liability for them, but would be acceptable to treasury. I went back a month later and got the signature guarantee and all is well.

--vtMaps
The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds; and the pessimist fears this is true. --James Branch Cabell

User avatar
HueyLD
Posts: 5172
Joined: Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:30 am

Re: Medallion Signature Guarantee

Post by HueyLD » Sat Aug 27, 2016 5:29 pm

Good news!! You no longer need a signature guarantee to add another bank account to the TD link.

nonnie
Posts: 1943
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:05 pm
Location: Northern California

Re: Medallion Signature Guarantee

Post by nonnie » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:51 pm

I know this is an old thread but I'm currently going through this trying to get a co-owner's name off an I-Bond. I'm customers of all -- Schwab wouldn't do it for me, I knew BofA wouldn't, my local CU required being a member for 3 mos., two WFB turned me down and the other guy is on vacation.

I wrote to Treasury Direct and here's what they said:
Hello,
Sometimes the banks do not understand they are only certifying your signature. You may ask them if they pay U.S. Savings Bonds and if they say yes, tell them you contacted us and we will accept the “PAID BOND STAMP” they use to redeem U.S. Savings Bonds.

A few other options are listed below.

ACCEPTABLE CERTIFICATIONS:

· Signature/endorsement guarantee stamp/seal

· Medallion stamp (must be accompanied with a live signature of the officer)

· Corporate stamp/seal

· "Paid" Bond Stamp used by financial institutions for the redemption of U.S. Savings Bonds

I'm going to end up at WFB but it's nice to know that any financial institutions (not sure if BoA does it anymore) can use their "Paid" bond stamp. AFAIK the Sig/endorsement guarantee stamp/seal does NOT exist, they're all Medallion now. And I have no idea what a Corporate stamp/seal is.
This post may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

livesoft
Posts: 57302
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:00 pm

Re: Medallion Signature Guarantee

Post by livesoft » Wed Feb 08, 2017 5:54 pm

Do you think it looks like you are trying to stiff the co-owner out of money? That's what it looks like to me, so that may be what it looks like to all those places. But maybe you didn't explain that both you and the co-owner are present for the MSG request.

I am told by my WellsFargo bankers that they have "secret shoppers" testing them wrt MSGs. They get reprimanded for not giving out MSGs where they should be given out and reprimanded for giving out MSGs where they should not be given out.
This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

nonnie
Posts: 1943
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:05 pm
Location: Northern California

Re: Medallion Signature Guarantee

Post by nonnie » Thu Feb 09, 2017 7:13 pm

All of the information I posted above was based on phone inquiries about a Medallion guarantee--flat out said they don't do it or w/CU, originally said had to be customer for 3 yrs but then changed it to 3 mos, unfortunately account only opn 2.5 months. I subsequently found out that all three WFB in my town will do it.
My friend, the co-owner, went through a similar process before she was able to get it done in the famous Berkeley Co-op grocery store. Since she lives 80 miles away from me, Treasury recommended a single page form addendum she could use and she finally got the stamp. I had been concerned no one would sign the form for here without the entire document but I think she just lucked out.\

I went to WFB today-- first had to make appointment, then show ID, give them the 8 page document including 3 pages of instructions, the bond, the other signature guarantee page and ID. Next they faxed it to their legal department for an opinion. Legal said they didn't want to do it because both co-owners weren't present but finally agreed since they had the other co-owner's Medallion stamp. Then I signed, then they made copies and everything was returned to me. The manager told me this was one of the simpler ones they do. Total time elapsed-- 40 minutes all for a $5K I-bond.

livesoft wrote:Do you think it looks like you are trying to stiff the co-owner out of money? That's what it looks like to me, so that may be what it looks like to all those places. But maybe you didn't explain that both you and the co-owner are present for the MSG request.

I am told by my WellsFargo bankers that they have "secret shoppers" testing them wrt MSGs. They get reprimanded for not giving out MSGs where they should be given out and reprimanded for giving out MSGs where they should not be given out.
This post may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

Cash
Posts: 1232
Joined: Wed Mar 10, 2010 10:52 am

Re: Medallion Signature Guarantee

Post by Cash » Sat Feb 11, 2017 8:54 am

Since I started this thread over 3 years ago, I have made a point not to place assets in any financial institution that requires an MSG to transfer them. If an institution requires an MSG, it probably also has other cumbersome practices likely to annoy me at some point (like faxing in things). So far, my plan has worked out nicely. But I forgot about Treasury Direct, which seems to be the king of cumbersome practices. Glad you were able to find one of the increasingly small number of banks that offer this outdated method of verification.

User avatar
snackdog
Posts: 130
Joined: Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:57 am

Re: Medallion Signature Guarantee

Post by snackdog » Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:22 am

I also moved a Vg taxable account in my name into a Vg account named in a living trust. They went back and forth on the medallion signature need. I finally got it done at my credit union. Only one manager in the country had enough signature authority, which seemed ridiculous.

nonnie
Posts: 1943
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 8:05 pm
Location: Northern California

Re: Medallion Signature Guarantee

Post by nonnie » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:54 pm

I want to make sure the main point of my post is not overlooked with regard to what is required by Treasury Direct. The workaround here is that one can simply get the "Paid" Bond stamp used by financial institutions for the redemption of U.S. Savings Bonds. That said, I'm not sure which, if any, banks redeem U.S. Savings Bonds any more. Because I had success at WFB (who doesn't redeem) and got a MSG, I didn't call Bank of America to see if they still redeemed.

ACCEPTABLE CERTIFICATIONS:

· Signature/endorsement guarantee stamp/seal

· Medallion stamp (must be accompanied with a live signature of the officer)

· Corporate stamp/seal

· "Paid" Bond Stamp used by financial institutions for the redemption of U.S. Savings Bonds
This post may be monitored for quality assurance purposes.

livesoft
Posts: 57302
Joined: Thu Mar 01, 2007 8:00 pm

Re: Medallion Signature Guarantee

Post by livesoft » Sat Feb 11, 2017 7:57 pm

nonnie wrote:· Signature/endorsement guarantee stamp/seal

I got a signature guarantee at WellsFargo to unlock my Treasury Direct account since the MSG was not needed.

I got a MSG at WellsFargo to transfer shares from my Vanguard account to my child's Vanguard account.
This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.

Icabod14
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:21 pm

Re: Medallion Signature Guarantee

Post by Icabod14 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:03 pm

Merrill Edge still requires this and if there intent was to keep me as a customer by raising the exit "costs" then it worked for a year. But it was ultimately also one of the reasons that I eventually departed even after they offered up a pretty good fee-free, self-directed IRA option.

I was overseas so the Medallion was impossible to get. I also bank with USAA and they don't have branches. Betterment wasn't able to assist me very much (for other reasons), so I selected Vanguard (for many reasons) and was able to get the Medallion at Chase since I have a credit card with them. It was free and rather simple to do, but if you aren't used to walking into a bank to do something it is annoying.

User avatar
Earl Lemongrab
Posts: 3124
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:14 am

Re: Medallion Signature Guarantee

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:58 pm

Icabod14 wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:03 pm
Merrill Edge still requires this . . .
Requires it for what? I have transferred holdings into and out of Merrill Edge without ever needing one. I would guess that I am in the top 1% or so of Bogleheads as far as the number of transfers performed, due to chasing transfer bonuses and Mega Backdoor Roth. I have never had to get an MSG.
This week's fortune cookie: "Your financial life will be secure and beneficial." So I got that going for me, which is nice.

limeyx
Posts: 73
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:34 pm

Re: Medallion Signature Guarantee

Post by limeyx » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:52 pm

leonard wrote:
Mon Aug 26, 2013 3:45 pm
When I transferred to VG - I specifically asked them if they ever required a signature guarantee to transfer securities out OR for any other reason. I checked that fact 3 times and they affirmed each time that they did NOT require one.

So, either they changed their policy OR they have given you miss information.

I most emphatically would not do business with a company that requires a signature guarantee - even VG.
I did two transfers to VG, one from Schwab and one from SD IRA Services and both need a Medallion (both are IRA's and name and address match)

limeyx
Posts: 73
Joined: Wed Sep 07, 2016 5:34 pm

Re: Medallion Signature Guarantee

Post by limeyx » Thu Aug 24, 2017 3:55 pm

kramer wrote:
Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:44 am
jsl11 wrote:
leonard wrote:I most emphatically would not do business with a company that requires a signature guarantee - even VG.
The US Treasury required a medallion guarantee when I redeemed paper savings bonds.
Jeff
Ouch, I have some paper I-bonds although I won't be cashing them in for 17 more years or so. Can your provide any more details? Were you doing it by mail, transferring them to online, etc?

For me, a Medallion requirement is almost insurmountable. I live abroad and have no brick and mortar banks where I ordinarily visit. I once contacted Schwab (one of my brokerages) about this because I thought I would need one on a trip to the USA (turns out I didn't) but they said they would not do it if they are not a party in the transaction.
Fidelity signed both of mine even though they are not a party (I have about $3K in a broker account @ Fidelity)

Icabod14
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Aug 13, 2015 10:21 pm

Re: Medallion Signature Guarantee

Post by Icabod14 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:11 pm

Earl Lemongrab wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:58 pm
Icabod14 wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:03 pm
Merrill Edge still requires this . . .
Requires it for what? I have transferred holdings into and out of Merrill Edge without ever needing one. I would guess that I am in the top 1% or so of Bogleheads as far as the number of transfers performed, due to chasing transfer bonuses and Mega Backdoor Roth. I have never had to get an MSG.
They required it to transfer a Roth from them to another institution, about $60K. Both Betterment and Vanguard state that they can handle "everything online" etc when you start the transfer process until I got to the point where they learn that my funds are coming from ML. At that point, I received the instructions on getting the Medallion.

Truthfully, in dealing with all of them, it wasn't clear who wanted what, or why. After telling me that he "never heard of that before" in ref to the Medallion, the ML advisor disappeared for 10 mins and when he came back he told me "yes we need one and the accepting institution should be able to provide it," which I haven't heard or read anywhere. There was obvious confusion on his end.

I finally got it, and hopefully it works!

User avatar
Earl Lemongrab
Posts: 3124
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:14 am

Re: Medallion Signature Guarantee

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Fri Aug 25, 2017 6:15 pm

Icabod14 wrote:
Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:11 pm
Earl Lemongrab wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:58 pm
Icabod14 wrote:
Thu Aug 24, 2017 2:03 pm
Merrill Edge still requires this . . .
Requires it for what? I have transferred holdings into and out of Merrill Edge without ever needing one. I would guess that I am in the top 1% or so of Bogleheads as far as the number of transfers performed, due to chasing transfer bonuses and Mega Backdoor Roth. I have never had to get an MSG.
They required it to transfer a Roth from them to another institution, about $60K. Both Betterment and Vanguard state that they can handle "everything online" etc when you start the transfer process until I got to the point where they learn that my funds are coming from ML. At that point, I received the instructions on getting the Medallion.

Truthfully, in dealing with all of them, it wasn't clear who wanted what, or why. After telling me that he "never heard of that before" in ref to the Medallion, the ML advisor disappeared for 10 mins and when he came back he told me "yes we need one and the accepting institution should be able to provide it," which I haven't heard or read anywhere. There was obvious confusion on his end.

I finally got it, and hopefully it works!
I have transferred several Roths to ME, and never needed it. If they did request it, I would tell them that I'm not doing it and if they couldn't figure out then I'd transfer to a more accommodating custodian.
This week's fortune cookie: "Your financial life will be secure and beneficial." So I got that going for me, which is nice.

blevine
Posts: 1707
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:57 pm
Location: Paradise

Re: Medallion Signature Guarantee

Post by blevine » Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:13 am

One of the reasons I don't shop around for best checking account, don't want hassle of setting up ach. Don't shop brokerage bonuses for this and other reasons. Put effort into saving and investing, not WHERE you save/invest. Opened all the accts I have years ago, change nothing but allocation among them (ach setup long ago among them).

If fact with security freeze, to avoid ID theft, have the same group of credit cards for years. Sometimes they change cash back incentives, so I rotate which ones I use, but have not applied for a new one in years.

Better things to do with my time than fill out forms, get signature guarantees, freeze/unfreeze credit....

If I have to get MSG in the future, I would go to my brick and mortar bank, which I only keep open to have such services, and demand it without hassle. No brick and mortar services, acct is not needed, would close it. They make float off my interest free checking acct, least they could do.

User avatar
Earl Lemongrab
Posts: 3124
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:14 am

Re: Medallion Signature Guarantee

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:03 am

blevine wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:13 am
One of the reasons I don't shop around for best checking account, don't want hassle of setting up ach. Don't shop brokerage bonuses for this and other reasons. Put effort into saving and investing, not WHERE you save/invest.
I generate thousands of dollars per year with bonus transfers. Not exactly trivial, plus I get all the same benefits and returns from the investing. This is all gravy.
Better things to do with my time than fill out forms, get signature guarantees, freeze/unfreeze credit....
Brokerage transfers don't involve credit pulls. We're talking effort in range of less than an hour in most cases.
This week's fortune cookie: "Your financial life will be secure and beneficial." So I got that going for me, which is nice.

blevine
Posts: 1707
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:57 pm
Location: Paradise

Re: Medallion Signature Guarantee

Post by blevine » Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:46 pm

Earl Lemongrab wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:03 am
blevine wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 8:13 am
One of the reasons I don't shop around for best checking account, don't want hassle of setting up ach. Don't shop brokerage bonuses for this and other reasons. Put effort into saving and investing, not WHERE you save/invest.
I generate thousands of dollars per year with bonus transfers. Not exactly trivial, plus I get all the same benefits and returns from the investing. This is all gravy.
Better things to do with my time than fill out forms, get signature guarantees, freeze/unfreeze credit....
Brokerage transfers don't involve credit pulls. We're talking effort in range of less than an hour in most cases.
You did not read. I said "have the same group of credit cards for years." And that DOES require credit pulls.

My Vanguard account fluctuates up/down by thousands of dollars each day, I can't spend time chasing a few bucks if the price
is hours of my time and risk of screw ups that are all too common on account transfers (especially Vanguard seems to mess up IRA/401k transfers).
I change provides when the service is bad relative to the competition, and it does not meet my needs, not for gravy.
Maybe if you are a retiree, that is a good use of your time, but not if you are still in your peak earning years.
I can make more money doing other things.

User avatar
Earl Lemongrab
Posts: 3124
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:14 am

Re: Medallion Signature Guarantee

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:42 pm

blevine wrote:
Sat Aug 26, 2017 9:46 pm

You did not read. I said "have the same group of credit cards for years." And that DOES require credit pulls.
But brokerage transfer doesn't. That's what I was discussing all along.
My Vanguard account fluctuates up/down by thousands of dollars each day, I can't spend time chasing a few bucks if the price
is hours of my time and risk of screw ups that are all too common on account transfers (especially Vanguard seems to mess up IRA/401k transfers).
It's not a few bucks, and it's not hours of time. It's hundreds to thousands of dollars and less than an hour each transfer. That's a good rate of return for the time spent. The best thing with brokerage transfers is that you can stay invested the whole time (other than rollovers out of 401(k) usually) so the bonus is on top of your usual gains.

I've done many transfers, and really haven't had any problems. Of course, I'm not using Vanguard because they don't have bonuses.
I can make more money doing other things.
What are some examples? I'd look into trying them if they are hundreds of dollars per hour for easy work at your computer.
This week's fortune cookie: "Your financial life will be secure and beneficial." So I got that going for me, which is nice.

blevine
Posts: 1707
Joined: Sat Feb 27, 2010 3:57 pm
Location: Paradise

Re: Medallion Signature Guarantee

Post by blevine » Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:27 am

Most requires years of training...
Maybe that is your best option.
Maybe it will be mine at some point.

User avatar
Earl Lemongrab
Posts: 3124
Joined: Tue Jun 10, 2014 1:14 am

Re: Medallion Signature Guarantee

Post by Earl Lemongrab » Sun Aug 27, 2017 9:59 am

blevine wrote:
Sun Aug 27, 2017 7:27 am
Most requires years of training...
Maybe that is your best option.
Maybe it will be mine at some point.
Fair enough. Note that I don't care whether you do or don't get involved in bonuses. I just want an accurate portrayal of the effort and reward. For those interested, I would recommend reviewing:

The Final, Definitive Thread on Brokerage Transfer Bonuses
This week's fortune cookie: "Your financial life will be secure and beneficial." So I got that going for me, which is nice.

Post Reply