FPL Capital Management?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Atlrock

FPL Capital Management?

Post by Atlrock » Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:42 am

Does anyone have experience with FPL Capital Management? Several coworkers have been asking about this company.

White Coat Investor

Re: FPL Capital Management?

Post by White Coat Investor » Tue Jun 04, 2013 12:31 pm

They're a paid advertiser on my blog. I did a review of them:

http://whitecoatinvestor.com/an-intervi ... y-planner/
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy | 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course

Atlrock

Post by Atlrock » Wed Jun 05, 2013 5:21 am

Doc, Thanks for the link .... useful.

matjen

Post by matjen » Wed Jun 05, 2013 6:16 am

I have spoken to them and have their "engagement" docs. I made it very clear that I wasn't interested in a formal adviser-type relationship and was really only interested in their ability to give me access to some of the institutional/adviser-only fund families. They were very respectful of that and it seems straightforward to me. Really no different than having any other type of adviser relationship in the sense that your funds would remain with Fidelity, TD Ameritrade or Schwab as custodian which is key. They would not be able to make a trade without your approval so (in my case) I would remain self-directed. Fees are 1K a year to 2.5K a year (per household)for this type of arrangement.

I can't comment on their prebuilt portfolio suggestions, etc. I am sure they are decent since they rely on DFA funds I believe.
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.

ObliviousInvestor

Post by ObliviousInvestor » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:23 am

Whenever researching a registered investment adviser, I would strongly urge you to read the firm's Form ADV Part II. In my opinion, it's like reading the prospectus for a mutual fund: it contains lots of useful information, with very little sales-talk.

Step 1: Go to the SEC Adviser Search website: http://www.adviserinfo.sec.gov/IAPD/Con ... earch.aspx
Step 2: Search for firm in question.
Step 3: Click the firm's name, then click the link for the applicable registration (either SEC or a state).
Step 4: Scroll down and click "Part 2 Brochures" in the left navigation. Then click the red link. (The document can be named just about anything.)

Here's the form for FPL.

For example, the following pieces of possibly-useful information can be found in the firm's ADV II:
Our account minimum has been raised to $500,000 per household from its previous $250,000 per household.
We are a fee-only firm. As of January 31, 2013, we manage approximately $52 million discretionary assets and $43 million in non-discretionary assets for a total of $95 million.
We offer our clients globally diversified model portfolios. We have created a sample list of model portfolios for our clients to choose from. The model portfolios were created utilizing passively managed index funds.
FPL Capital Management, LLC offers clients comprehensive Financial Planning consulting. These services are additional services to the asset management practice of the firm, and therefore, render additional cost for these services. The fees charged to clients are based on the amount of consulting time that is involved. We charge clients an hourly rate or a quoted flat fee per specific project.
FPL Capital Management Fees are as follows:
Our annual management fee for portfolio of funds ranges between $1,000 and $2,500. Clients who utilize our model portfolios or have accounts, which require little supervision, will pay an annual fee of $1,000. Accounts that require additional services or customization will pay a slightly higher annual fee. Our annual fee is charged per client relationship, and not per individual account.
[snip]
Additionally, our consulting service rate is $150 per hour. This fee applies to all investment and wealth management services provided, which are not included in our portfolio management programs.
The form also clearly spells out the firm's investment strategy (on page 6 -- too long to quote here).
Mike Piper, author/blogger

matjen

Post by matjen » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:40 am

ObliviousInvestor wrote: For example, the following pieces of possibly-useful information can be found in the firm's ADV II:
Hey I already said most of that already in a more streamlined manner of course. ;-) Details, details, details. It's not like we are talking about our retirement or anything. In all seriousness, thanks for the excellent advice and the link Mike. I have the hard copy they sent me.
A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone.

ObliviousInvestor

Post by ObliviousInvestor » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:44 am

matjen wrote:I have the hard copy they sent me.
Ah, super. :)
Mike Piper, author/blogger

Bogle101

Post by Bogle101 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:48 am

Is anyone else amazed that there are so many small financial firms out there with over $100 million is assets managed? If I had not stumbled across this thread I would never ever have heard of this company. How are these companies able to sustain themselves and gather new business with so many other smaller firms, not to mention the huge companies like Vanguard, Fidelity, JPM, Citi, etc. It just always surprises me how many small financial advisor firms are able to acquire clients and sustain themselves.
25% S&P 500 | 25% Extended Market | 20% International | 10% REIT | 10% Sector Funds | 10% Cash

batpot

Post by batpot » Tue Aug 06, 2013 10:53 pm

it can't just be a coincidence that "bogleheads.com" redirects here:
http://am.fplcapital.com/vanguard-us-equity-folio/

Boglenaut

Post by Boglenaut » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:10 am

batpot wrote:it can't just be a coincidence that "bogleheads.com" redirects here:
http://am.fplcapital.com/vanguard-us-equity-folio/
Not anymore.

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=183305&newpost=2779996\