Vanguard Precious Metals and Mining?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
casey2012

Vanguard Precious Metals and Mining?

Post by casey2012 »

Would the Vanguard Precious Metals and Mining fund be a good fund to purchase to spice up a three fund Portfolio?

It's most recent one year performance is -32.35...

Your thoughts are appreciated. :)
Taylor Larimore
Advisory Board

Re: Vanguard Precious Metals and Mining?

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Casey:

The Three Fund Portfolio already holds the market weight in gold and precious metal mining stocks.

Strive for simplicity--not complexity.

Bogleheads invest -- not speculate.

Best wishes.
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
momar

Post by momar »

Buy some ghost chilis if you need more spice in your life.
"Index funds have a place in your portfolio, but you'll never beat the index with them." - Words of wisdom from a Fidelity rep
The Wizard

Post by The Wizard »

OP is betting on reversion to the mean if he does this.
Not sure this is a good bet...
Attempted new signature...
tc101

Post by tc101 »

It's down 50% in the last 2 years, while total stock mkt is up 20%. We tell people to buy the REIT fund because it behaves differently than the total market, and there is a rebalancing bonus. Why is precious metals and mining different than REIT for this purpose?
. | The most important thing you should know about me is that I am not an expert.
Topic Author
casey2012

Post by casey2012 »

Of all the Vanguard funds, it appears that Precious Metals performance has been the poorest over the last couple years so wouldn't this be an opportunity to buy low?
jginseattle

Post by jginseattle »

The fund seems too watered down to be a proxy for gold.
momar

Post by momar »

casey2012 wrote:Of all the Vanguard funds, it appears that Precious Metals performance has been the poorest over the last couple years so wouldn't this be an opportunity to buy low?
This fund can stay down for a long, long time. And how do you know it is "low" now? What if it's still high?

"Index funds have a place in your portfolio, but you'll never beat the index with them." - Words of wisdom from a Fidelity rep
Topic Author
casey2012

Post by casey2012 »

It's average annual return since inception (1984) is 5.63%. It's most recent one year performance is -32.35%.

Just wondering if it might be an opportunity for a small portion of portfolio...
bottomfisher

Post by bottomfisher »

casey2012 wrote:Of all the Vanguard funds, it appears that Precious Metals performance has been the poorest over the last couple years so wouldn't this be an opportunity to buy low?
"Buy low" is a relative term. The fund is composed of 87.6% foreign stocks. So a essentially an international stock fund. A couple of valuation measures reveal - P/e 17.3x, P/b 1.4x. Vg Total International Stock - P/e 17.2x, P/b 1.6 x. Similiar valuations despite a 5 yr annualized return of -12.94% for Precious Metals and Mining fund. So is the price low or did the valuations and performance revert to mean from a previously exceedingly high level? I'm thinking they've reverted to the mean. But Vg Precious Metals and Mining has a reasonably optimistic earnings growth rate of 16.4%. So if the world wide economic slump turns the corner, these stocks may return to their days of outperformance! Or they may not anytime soon. A M* graph of the funds performance over time reveals protracted periods of underperformance and outperformance. So how patient are you willing to be?

I actually own an increasingly smaller amount. I'm in the process of liquidating this fund and Vg Energy in effort for a more simplified portfolio. I'm waiting for another burst then I'll exchange for one of my simple core funds.
baw703916

Post by baw703916 »

See this recent thread: http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... 1&t=115796

I posted my thoughts there, and promptly killed the thread. So I won't repeat them here. :)
Most of my posts assume no behavioral errors.
steve roy

Post by steve roy »

The wife and I exited Precious Metals a while ago. Taylor Larimore is right, I think. Many over think investing and get way too tricky for their own good.
hafius500

Post by hafius500 »

Morningstar, VPMX Chart:
Growth of 10,000 USD from 5/23/84 to 5/16/13:
47,512 USD Vanguard Precious Metals and Mining Fund
37,093 USD Equity Precius Metals
135,102 USD MSCI World NR

http://quote.morningstar.com/fund/chart ... ture=en-US
If you want to bet on mean reversion (and if you know the mean!), rebalance (buy).
If you want to bet on momentum, wait.
prior username: hafis50
z3r0c00l

Post by z3r0c00l »

Maybe... consider the fact that this fund once paid out a 15% dividend... the share price right now is not the only thing to look at.
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

We own some at 05% of portfolio. Will probably get out of it as I get older and lazier.

Its extremely volatile, and you have to be disciplined enough to rebalance back to target whenever it does very well or very poorly vs total market.

Its not a proxy for gold, its a fund of stocks of companies in the mining industry.

Its over 90% international companies, so if you buy it count it as part of your international allocation.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started
PacNorWest

Post by PacNorWest »

Current conditions seem to indicate that it might be a good time to "bet" on VPMM
And the fund is down. . .you may have to hold it for a few months or years.

I agree with you but I would wait awhile longer before placing that bet.
If/when I read that Caterpillar is getting more orders then I would revisit VPMM
tc101

Post by tc101 »

Its over 90% international companies, so if you buy it count it as part of your international allocation.
Does that mean you should have it in taxable account because of the foreign tax credit?
. | The most important thing you should know about me is that I am not an expert.
bottomfisher

Post by bottomfisher »

PacNorWest wrote:...I agree with you but I would wait awhile longer before placing that bet.
If/when I read that Caterpillar is getting more orders then I would revisit VPMM
I agree Catepillar may be a good indicator for the sector outlook. CNCB - April 22, '13 "Caterpillar posted earnings and revenue that missed Wall Street expectations on Monday and cut its full-year outlook for 2013 to reflect a drop in demand for heavy equipment from its mining customers."
rkhusky

Post by rkhusky »

tc101 wrote:
Does that mean you should have it in taxable account because of the foreign tax credit?
You would also need to check out the percent of qualified dividends to make that determination.
Topic Author
casey2012

Post by casey2012 »

Thanks to all for your insights and advice!
ruralavalon

Post by ruralavalon »

tc101 wrote:

I have no idea, our taxable account is already almost all in Total International.
"Everything should be as simple as it is, but not simpler." - Albert Einstein | Wiki article link:Getting Started