Thought on my portfolio

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
wizard1183

Thought on my portfolio

Post by wizard1183 » Thu May 16, 2013 1:58 pm

OK, I'm novice trying to "make my money work for me" is the idea I have. I have 3 accounts. One with Schwab as my IRA, one with Scottrade and one with my bank J.P.M. Chase. If you need more info let me know. The Scottrade and Chase accts are my emergency funds basically. More so the Chase account. I annually put the max into my IRA acct. I also have an HSA acct with $3250 in it I believe. Can any of you tell me what route would suit me better than how I have my portfolio? I went with a few individual accounts of my own in hopes of some of these pulling it around. Most notably FST and NOK. Im not very knowledgable about foreign stocks other than NOK. But my the advisors I've spoken with are ok, but most dont give me good insight and tell me if they want they can handle the accounts( my IRA as I was with Edward Jones and left to go with Schwab) My Chase advisor doesnt seem knowledgeable in helping me make much better % on my investments other than what she thought was the best outfit with FCISX. I was looking into perhaps options, but I'm not fully grasping it and I've been on thinkorswim.com and I've yet to really understand it all yet. Any help would be greatly appreciative.

My Schwab IRA acct totals $13,160 whith the following stocks and funds
BAS 6 shares
BMO 15 shares
BUFGX 163.02 shares
CAP 18 shares
FST 29 shares
MWE 10 shares
NOK 865 shares
PARMX 44.01 shares
SWSCX 21.89 shares
WBCO 72 shares

Scottrade acct $15,723
AAPL 5 shares
BAS 11 shares
CLNE 70 shares
FST 260 shares
IBM 8 shares
MWE 55 shares
NOK 515 shares
TJX 11 shares
WMT 13 shares

Chase Bank $15,255.25
Franklington FDS SER Cl C (FCISX) 6,366.355 shares

Elbowman

Re: Thought on my portfolio

Post by Elbowman » Thu May 16, 2013 3:23 pm

Most people here use low cost, broadly diversified index funds, because historically they have done much better than the average person playing the stock market. Check out this link: http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Boglehea ... philosophy

roymeo

Post by roymeo » Thu May 16, 2013 3:52 pm

It's funny, wizard, a lot of people come here with the same story: "I don't really know what I'm doing, I have no plan, but I've got a bunch of random stocks because despite having little knowledge or a plan I must be smarter than the professionals or destined to have a string of great luck."

This board is full of a bunch of people who don't really think they're smarter or luckier than the market, aren't interested in constantly betting on what the next big thing is, and controlling the costs and risk to get average results is a great plan.

Almost everyone will at least think: Wow, that's a mess, you need to read the wiki and probably a couple of the books, and then get out of the crazypants stocks you're in and do something rational.

roymeo
The sewer system is a form of welfare state. | -- "Libra", Don DeLillo

Sbashore

Post by Sbashore » Thu May 16, 2013 4:17 pm

Welcome to the forum. You've got work to do. First I'd read the Wiki, follow the link previously given. Then when you feel like you are at a point to ask questions, use this link to format them. http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... f=1&t=6212.
Steve | Semper Fi

DaveS

Post by DaveS » Fri May 17, 2013 2:03 am

Stop buying individual stocks. Your expenses to have the portfolio you have must be really substantial. Money that goes to commissions does not earn you money. Buy indexed etf's or invest in funds at a low cost mutual find provider such as Vanguard. Secondly, an "emergency fund" consisting of stocks does not really protect you if the emergency is losing your job in times when the stock market is also down such as January 2009. Lastly at your level of investment you should be in a 3 fund portfolio rather than odd lots of individual stocks. Look at the sample portfolio's in the wiki. Investing successfully is a long term and slow and steady process not a speculative series of guesses which is what seems to have gotten you to where you are today. Dave