Two Comma Club

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
CarlZ993

Two Comma Club

Post by CarlZ993 »

At end of market day 1/23/2013, I joined the 'Two Comma Club.' One million dollars. Wow!

I was always a saver. I didn't always know exactly what I was doing. But, I kept saving. I learned so much from this forum. It helped me 'Stay the Course' through it all. Thanks to all the learned posters & authors on this forum. If I started to recognize people individually, I'd screw it up and leave someone worthy off the list.

To celebrate, I think I'll take my wife out for a steak dinner this weekend. Cheers!
Carl Z
sscritic

Re: Two Comma Club

Post by sscritic »

And why not tonight? Because you understand delayed gratification.

Congrats. Now go get that third comma. :)
livesoft

Post by livesoft »

Let's hope she likes steak. :) Congrats.

Next trick for you: Stay in 2-comma territory for at least a year. Or you may have to go out to lots of steak dinners as you bounce up and down around this mark.
Wiki This signature message sponsored by sscritic: Learn to fish.
scone

Post by scone »

Congratulations! :sharebeer :moneybag
"My bond allocation is the amount of money that I cannot afford to lose." -- Taylor Larimore
Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer »

Congrats! :sharebeer
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi
Kurmudjon

Post by Kurmudjon »

Congrats -- secret handshake on the way. :)
“Some of its magic some of its tragic but I had a good life all the way.”
Toons

Post by Toons »

CarlZ993 wrote:At end of market day 1/23/2013, I joined the 'Two Comma Club.' One million dollars. Wow!

I was always a saver. I didn't always know exactly what I was doing. But, I kept saving. I learned so much from this forum. It helped me 'Stay the Course' through it all. Thanks to all the learned posters & authors on this forum. If I started to recognize people individually, I'd screw it up and leave someone worthy off the list.

To celebrate, I think I'll take my wife out for a steak dinner this weekend. Cheers!
Staying The Course-you hit the nail on the head :happy
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
BostonBoy

Post by BostonBoy »

Congratulations!
NAVigator

Post by NAVigator »

Congratulations!

After your steak dinner, consider opening a bottle of Bogle wine and raising a toast to the person who motivated this forum.

Jerry
"I was born with nothing and I have most of it left."
Taylor Larimore

Our home that Jack built.

Post by Taylor Larimore »

Carl:
Thanks to all the learned posters & authors on this forum.
And we mustn't overlook our mentor, Jack Bogle, for whom this forum is named.

Pat and I frequently say: "We live in our home that Jack built."

Best wishes
Taylor
"Simplicity is the master key to financial success." -- Jack Bogle
Boglenaut

Post by Boglenaut »

Congradulations! :beer

Just curious...everyone counts it differently. Some people count home equity, some do not. Some count traditional 401K and traditional Roth, while others discount it for future tax liabilities. Some count 529, some not.... you get the idea. What did you use as your base?
runner9

Post by runner9 »

Re: 2 Comma Club
by CarlZ993 » Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:26 pm

Congrats! Feels great, doesn't it?
http://www.bogleheads.org/forum/viewtop ... 8#p1483258

Can I ask, been there before or just knew what it feels like in advance?

Regardless, congrats!
peppers

Post by peppers »

The first two commas are always the hardest.
"..the cavalry ain't comin' kid, you're on your own..."
mickeyd

Post by mickeyd »

Don't get too excited about such short-term accomplishments as they can go away just as quickly.
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle
ResNullius

Post by ResNullius »

mickeyd wrote:Don't get too excited about such short-term accomplishments as they can go away just as quickly.
Oh, come on! It's a great accomplishment, regardless of whether tomorrow's market takes him slighly below his current level. Reaching 7 figures is a huge milestone for anyone who works for a living. Congrats, a huge congrats.
zebrafish

Post by zebrafish »

Congratulations!
NYBoglehead

Post by NYBoglehead »

ResNullius wrote:
mickeyd wrote:Don't get too excited about such short-term accomplishments as they can go away just as quickly.
Oh, come on! It's a great accomplishment, regardless of whether tomorrow's market takes him slighly below his current level. Reaching 7 figures is a huge milestone for anyone who works for a living. Congrats, a huge congrats.
+1

Yeah, it might dip below the 7 figure mark with daily fluctuations, but my guess is the OP is still contributing and still reinvesting quarterly dividends. So I think he's going to be staying in the millionaire's club.
wingnutty

Post by wingnutty »

It's a HUGE accomplishment! For many of us working stiffs it is a product of a lot of sacrifice. I'm not there yet, won't be for probably 15+ years, but I work towards that goal every single day and our family makes a lot of sacrifices so that we may one day attain that financial goal and all the benefits that go with it. It truly makes me happy to hear when others reach their goal and to share the happiness with them because it makes me realize that the end goal is achievable.

Congrats from one boglehead to another. Drink it up, you earned it and you should be extremely proud! Many millionaires are given their millions, others are provided an easy stepping stone, but for those that truly work and sacrifice, it is a worthy and noble accomplishment! Woohoo for you :sharebeer :beer
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

peppers wrote:The first two commas are always the hardest.
And the third is easy?

Post by 64415 »

Awesome! Congratulations on your discipline and hard work.
mickeyd

Post by mickeyd »

ResNullius wrote:

Just trying to add a dose of reality to the thread. Of course it is a great individual accomplishment. I cannot recall when I crossed that magical barrier so it must not have been that important in the long-run.
Part-Owner of Texas | | “The CMH-the Cost Matters Hypothesis -is all that is needed to explain why indexing must and will work… Yes, it is that simple.” John C. Bogle
khh

Post by khh »

A comma here, a comma there, pretty soon you're talking real money:)
og15F1

Post by og15F1 »

Congratulations :moneybag :moneybag :moneybag
BHCadet

Post by BHCadet »

This is a big milestone.
Congrats on your success.
Sunflower

Post by Sunflower »

Congratulations!

I hope to join your club some day.

:sharebeer
stemikger

Post by stemikger »

Congratulations!!! You have every right to be proud.

Although I'm not in the 2 comma club YET. I paid off my mortgage this year and the emotional satisfaction of hitting these goals are worth all the delayed gratification in the world.

I will definitely post when I hit the 2 comma club.

The only thing is I might go for lobster instead. : )

Thanks for posting this, it really encourages others.

P.S. While 99% on these boards offered their congratulations when I posted about paying off my home, there was that 1% who were negative and tried to squash the excitement I felt. Ignore those people, I call the dream stealers.
Choose Simplicity ~ Stay the Course!! ~ Press on Regardless!!!
TRC

Post by TRC »

That's awesome! Hopefully making it to 2M will take you a lot less time than it took to get to 1m.

I hope to be where you are in a few years.
Frugaldude

Post by Frugaldude »

Congratulations! ツ
exoilman

Post by exoilman »

I remember it well, stay the course! :sharebeer

regards
Sam
lwfitzge

Post by lwfitzge »

Congrats! It's a big deal. With compounding on your side, multiple $M are within reach. It's more than a number, this financial milestone begins to afford you options, flexibility. For me, I reached $2M at 48 yrs of age last year and decided to quit an executive position that kept me away (except for weekends) from my family for almost 4 years. I now work from home w scaled back professional responsibilities. I also gratefully attribute much of my success in managing my own money to this group and Jack. Enjoy!!
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

lwfitzge wrote:Congrats! It's a big deal.
I actually think 2 to the 20th is a bigger deal that 10 to the 6th. In fact, it's not just a matter of my opinion; it's mathematics.

P.S. Think about your hard drive. Think about false advertising.
HueyLD

Post by HueyLD »

Last edited by HueyLD on Sun Feb 08, 2015 6:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
midareff

Post by midareff »

Congratulations. :moneybag The next fun step is a 1,1 then 1,2 ..... :mrgreen:
sscritic

Post by sscritic »

Getting from 0 commas to 1 comma is saving part of one paycheck, with no investing.
Getting from 1 comma to 2 commas is mostly saving with a little investing thrown in.
Getting from 2 commas to 3 commas is almost all investing. Who can save $999,000,000 from their paycheck?

If you are ever to get to 3 commas, you really have to concentrate on your investing. Saving won't really help anymore.
JPH

Post by JPH »

Congratulations on this major milestone. Not many have the discipline to stay the course the way you have done. You didn't inherit it, did you? :beer
While the moments do summersaults into eternity | Cling to their coattails and beg them to stay - Townes Van Zandt
Taylor Larimore

Never forget.

Carl:

Congratulations on accumulating a one-million dollar net worth!

The first part of our investment life is accumulating to meet our life goals.
The second part of our investment life is not to lose what we accumulated.

Best wishes.
Taylor
Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors »

sscritic wrote:Getting from 0 commas to 1 comma is saving part of one paycheck, with no investing.
Getting from 1 comma to 2 commas is mostly saving with a little investing thrown in.
Getting from 2 commas to 3 commas is almost all investing. Who can save $999,000,000 from their paycheck?

If you are ever to get to 3 commas, you really have to concentrate on your investing. Saving won't really help anymore.
Investing or speculating? Use of leverage is much like playing with a sword - the road is littered with those who have crashed and burned.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions
Confused

Post by Confused »

[Blanked for privacy]
Last edited by Confused on Fri Nov 06, 2015 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
linuxuser

Post by linuxuser »

Congratulations!

It is a big deal. Because it says you are the M word. Even these days, that word still grabs people's attention.
It does mine.
Last edited by linuxuser on Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
mptfan

Post by mptfan »

Congratulations, that is a great accomplishment! Would you be willing to share more details of how you got there? For example, at what age did you start? How long did it take? Did you get any windfalls, like an inheritance or gifts?
nepats

Post by nepats »

Congrats and welcome! Stay the course...
moneywise3

Post by moneywise3 »

Congratulations!!
I am working on mine.
BigFoot48

Post by BigFoot48 »

This topic always makes me recall my wife and my days in the no-comma club, and then the intervening 30 years to get to the two comma club. Keeps things in perspective, and helps stay the course.
Retired | Two-time in top-10 in Bogleheads S&P500 contest; 18-time loser
robocop

Post by robocop »

mptfan wrote:Congratulations, that is a great accomplishment! Would you be willing to share more details of how you got there? For example, at what age did you start? How long did it take? Did you get any windfalls, like an inheritance or gifts?
I would also love to hear more details. I recently just joined a different club (the positive net worth club) after aggressively paying down my student loans for 3 1/2 years, and am always inspired by stories of people who are at a different stage than I am. It helps me "stay the course"!

And, btw, CONGRATS!! What a milestone :).
shainy

Post by shainy »

Congratulations on your big achievement!
kenyan

Post by kenyan »

Congratulations; I have a long way to go but know I'll join you someday. One comma and a decimal point doesn't quite garner the same excitement.
Retirement investing is a marathon.
cinghiale

Post by cinghiale »

Jerry (NAVigator) suggested:
After your steak dinner, consider opening a bottle of Bogle wine and raising a toast to the person who motivated this forum.
May I second that and further suggest that you make it a bottle of Bogle Phantom? It's an under $20.00 wine that drinks like a $75.00+ one. You have reason to celebrate, and I like the symbolism of sipping not only a botle of Bogle, but the top-of-the-line offering.

Congrats!
"We don't see things as they are; we see them as we are." Anais Nin | | "Sometimes the first duty of intelligent men is the restatement of the obvious." George Orwell
bogleblitz

Post by bogleblitz »

Could you give abit more story on how you reach it? Like when did you start saving, average returns, asset allocation?
VictoriaF

Post by VictoriaF »

Does collecting commas fall under:
- That Frugal Thing You Do ? or
- That Extravagant Thing You Do(*) ?

Victoria

(*) Extravagant as in the 3rd, 4th, etc., commas.
Last edited by VictoriaF on Thu Jan 24, 2013 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Inventor of the Bogleheads Secret Handshake | Winner of the 2015 Boglehead Contest. | Every joke has a bit of a joke. ... The rest is the truth. (Marat F)
Taylor Larimore

Any mistakes ?

bogleblitz wrote:Could you give a bit more story on how you reached it? Like when did you start saving, average returns, asset allocation?
And tell us about your mistakes along the way. We often learn more from our mistakes than our successes.

Thank you and best wishes.
Taylor