tiny amounts left over when transferring roth ira

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
justus

tiny amounts left over when transferring roth ira

Post by justus » Sun Dec 30, 2012 1:48 am

I recently moved my roth ira from etrade to vanguard and noticed that after the money was moved, I had a zero balance for a few days, and now there are a few cents in my old Roth. I received what must have been a distribution from a sweep fund. Do I just leave it there at Etrade? Will they charge me a low balance fee and leave me with a negative balance?

celia

Re: tiny amounts left over when transferring roth ira

Post by celia » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:34 am

I would call ETrade and ask them your questions. If they were supposed to move the entire IRA, this left-over dividends should have gone with it (although they hadn't yet received it from the stock company).

I converted an entire traditional IRA to a Roth at ETrade at the end of a year. The balance was 0 on Dec 31. A few days later, I had a couple of dollars in the account. Moving that to the Roth soon after was a conversion for the next year.
A dollar in Roth is worth more than a dollar in a taxable account. A dollar in taxable is worth more than a dollar in a tax-deferred account.

bertilak

Re: tiny amounts left over when transferring roth ira

Post by bertilak » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:45 am

I have moved investments, both as liquidated cash and as actual shares, from one brokerage to another several times. There were always a few "crumbs" that showed up days later and they were always (eventually) moved as well with no extra action on my part.
May neither drought nor rain nor blizzard disturb the joy juice in your gizzard. -- Squire Omar Barker, the Cowboy Poet