AAPL

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
fastpace_re

Re: AAPL

Post by fastpace_re »

airahcaz wrote:
fastpace_re wrote:
airahcaz wrote:
boroc7 wrote:
airahcaz wrote:Momentum pushes it higher till iWatch?
The iWatch doesn't exist.
Yet
I think he meant the name iWatch doesn't exist. It is called Apple Watch.
Yet
Oh it exists. You just can't buy it. Yet.
Toons

Post by Toons »

Carl Ichan,one of Apple's largest shareholders :happy

"Icahn values Apple at more than $1 trillion"

http://www.reuters.com/article/2015/02/ ... EU20150212
"One does not accumulate but eliminate. It is not daily increase but daily decrease. The height of cultivation always runs to simplicity" –Bruce Lee
lazyday

iCar

Post by lazyday »

(WSJ) Apple Gears Up to Challenge Tesla in Electric Cars
(Reuters) Apple learning to make self-driving car: source
https://news.google.com/news/section?pz ... =Apple+Inc or google search either of the above lines.

Apple might be serious about building a car themselves. Kinda scary since automaking is generally a low margin biz requiring high capital investment.
teoreticar

Post by teoreticar »

AAPL will go up to 150-200 range by end of this year.

GOOG going down from this week.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

The latest rumor for Apple: possibly an iCar being developed or the outright purchase of Tesla.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Topic Author
airahcaz

Post by airahcaz »

abuss368 wrote:The latest rumor for Apple: possibly an iCar being developed or the outright purchase of Tesla.
What's the play? Buy AAPL or TSLA or both?
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course. (Plagiarized, but worth stealing)
Flashes1

Post by Flashes1 »

I'm really close to buying a little AAPL in my play money.....and UA.
Topic Author
airahcaz

Post by airahcaz »

130 next week?
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course. (Plagiarized, but worth stealing)
jdb

Post by jdb »

airahcaz wrote:
abuss368 wrote:The latest rumor for Apple: possibly an iCar being developed or the outright purchase of Tesla.
What's the play? Buy AAPL or TSLA or both?
Both. Best thing that could happen to Tesla Motors is the largest company in the world (and probably the one with most software engineering talent) validating its vision of electric cars (and trucks) as the future of transportation.
Topic Author
airahcaz

Post by airahcaz »

airahcaz wrote:130 next week?
this panned out, then downward, but then back up because March 9th announcement, fickle market

I do wonder though, if every iPhone owner would also want a watch. I would want one.
Topic Author
airahcaz

Post by airahcaz »

Not looking for news, but can someone explain the last minute drop from a reasoning perspective? A big sell order at the close? Possibly caused by options expiration according to the article? What's even odder is the rebound after hours.

http://m.barrons.com/articles/BL-TB-47094
autonomy

Post by autonomy »

airahcaz wrote:Not looking for news, but can someone explain the last minute drop from a reasoning perspective? A big sell order at the close? Possibly caused by options expiration according to the article? What's even odder is the rebound after hours.

http://m.barrons.com/articles/BL-TB-47094
I was wondering the same - "Was there insider info people traded on? Then why the after-hours bump?"

My uneducated guess is a last-minute rogue hail-Mary trade. You never know what can happen with high-frequency trading algos.
inbox788

Post by inbox788 »

Going into options expiration, option sellers are willing to sell short to drive the closing price lower taking losses on the sale of stock, but reducing their losses or making money on the expiring options. This doesn't always work, but sometimes they try.
http://www.investopedia.com/terms/m/maxpain.asp
http://maximum-pain.com/max-pain.aspx
Maximum Pain

The idea behind the "Maximum Pain Theory" is this: As option expiration approaches, option writers will try to buy or sell shares of stock to drive the price toward a closing price that is profitable for them, or at least to hedge their payouts to the option holders.

Call writers sell shares to drive share price down and put writers buy shares to drive share price up, and at the center of the chaos is the max pain strike price itself.

Essentially, all of this buying and selling "funnels" the share price toward the max pain strike price on expiration dates.

...it does seem as though certain round numbers have a magnet-like pull on share price during the final hour of trading on Friday afternoon.
http://www.benzinga.com/general/educati ... -you-money
Electron

Post by Electron »

Here is some commentary on the sudden drop in AAPL shares on Friday 3-20-15.

http://www.valuewalk.com/2015/03/apple- ... ash-crash/
Enjoying the Outdoors
Topic Author
airahcaz

Post by airahcaz »

Does this exceed expectations?

Despite middling reviews, the Apple (NASDAQ:AAPL) Watch got off to a solid start Friday, with U.S. pre-orders topping one million, according to shopping data firm Slice Intelligence.

Some 957,000 people in the U.S. ordered an Apple Watch on the first day the smartwatch was on sale. And the average buyer bought 1.3 watches, according to ereceipt data from 9,080 online shoppers. That would suggest more than 1.2 million Apple Watch units were ordered on Friday

Read More At Investor's Business Daily: http://news.investors.com/technology/04 ... z3X9SMf551
Follow us: @IBDinvestors on Twitter | InvestorsBusinessDaily on Facebook
angelescrest

Post by angelescrest »

I like AAPL, and Apple, but I wish this particular thread would die, or that a moderator would close it.
Topic Author
airahcaz

Post by airahcaz »

140 next week?
Topic Author
airahcaz

Post by airahcaz »

airahcaz wrote:140 next week?
Color me perplexed...
JDot

Post by JDot »

Maybe this thread should die... but I gotta say that AAPL is one of the only single stocks I own (not in a mutual fund, etc.). I went from being down by 50% to up by 50%. Glad I held on!
InQuiSiToR_187

Post by InQuiSiToR_187 »

i personally own AAPL, bought it at the split price of $108, needless to say, has done well for me so far,
as far as it hitting $1000 anything is possible especially with AAPL< if they keep doing things right, and keep innovating then yes it will,
but if they stand still and some of their competitors catch up, then it might stale out.
backpacker

Post by backpacker »

I read recently read that if Apple's cash was its own company, it would be the 17th largest company in the S&P 500. :shock:
Maxman

Post by Maxman »

This blog on Barron's suggests that the Apple CFO is not doing a good job.

http://blogs.barrons.com/techtraderdail ... -equities/
Topic Author
airahcaz

Post by airahcaz »

airahcaz wrote:
Color me perplexed...
I was convinced before, but AAPL has really ingrained the fact that markets are quite irrational short term, in fact very irrational. I saw little reason for AAPL to have tanked after earnings, be down another 3 points yesterday, but even more-so today, why is it now back up 3 points?

Individual stocks are for gamblers, or investors using their small allocation set aside as gambling money.
InQuiSiToR_187

Post by InQuiSiToR_187 »

airahcaz wrote:
airahcaz wrote:
Color me perplexed...
I was convinced before, but AAPL has really ingrained the fact that markets are quite irrational short term, in fact very irrational. I saw little reason for AAPL to have tanked after earnings, be down another 3 points yesterday, but even more-so today, why is it now back up 3 points?

Individual stocks are for gamblers, or investors using their small allocation set aside as gambling money.
gonn have to say it straight, i bought APPL at the split price of $113, also DIS which i bought at $106,
after visiting this forum, i have sold both, with a little capital gain.
i did this because I'm interested in the long term, i also thought i can pick the right individual stocks, and get diversified by buying a individual stock 4 times a year after saving $1000...
bad idea, with vanguard i can purchase and contribute as little or as much as i want to ETF's or mutual funds with no transaction fees, this is good for someone like me because,
i cannot stand not investing my money every second of the day, so this way, i contribute once a week whatever i can from my pay!
Electron

Post by Electron »

airahcaz wrote:I was convinced before, but AAPL has really ingrained the fact that markets are quite irrational short term, in fact very irrational. I saw little reason for AAPL to have tanked after earnings, be down another 3 points yesterday, but even more-so today, why is it now back up 3 points?
In absence of significant news, Apple should have a high correlation with the overall market on a day to day basis. Think about the weighting of Apple in various large cap indexes, ETFs, and actively managed funds. There are leveraged ETFs and Hedge funds that trade on leverage. Apple's weighting in the NASDAQ 100 appears to be over 14%. The weighting in the Total Stock Market is 2.8%.

The weighting in the S&P 500 Index is 3.5%. Apple will see a lot of buying or selling based on cash flows in and out of the market independent of fundamentals. Daily trading volume in the overall market is mostly from traders as opposed to long term investors.
Enjoying the Outdoors
Topic Author
airahcaz

Post by airahcaz »

Electron wrote:
airahcaz wrote:I was convinced before, but AAPL has really ingrained the fact that markets are quite irrational short term, in fact very irrational. I saw little reason for AAPL to have tanked after earnings, be down another 3 points yesterday, but even more-so today, why is it now back up 3 points?
In absence of significant news, Apple should have a high correlation with the overall market on a day to day basis. Think about the weighting of Apple in various large cap indexes, ETFs, and actively managed funds. There are leveraged ETFs and Hedge funds that trade on leverage. Apple's weighting in the NASDAQ 100 appears to be over 14%. The weighting in the Total Stock Market is 2.8%.

The weighting in the S&P 500 Index is 3.5%. Apple will see a lot of buying or selling based on cash flows in and out of the market independent of fundamentals. Daily trading volume in the overall market is mostly from traders as opposed to long term investors.
Fully agreed, but perhaps the markets correlated to AAPL the last few days since AAPL earnings...
InQuiSiToR_187

Post by InQuiSiToR_187 »

airahcaz wrote:
Electron wrote:

Fully agreed, but perhaps the markets correlated to AAPL the last few days since AAPL earnings...
YOU WILL PROBABLY HAVE ALOT OF SUCCESS WITH AAPL...
FOR NOW
Topic Author
airahcaz

Post by airahcaz »

did AAPL bottom a few days ago? guess earnings will tell...
Topic Author
airahcaz

Post by airahcaz »

Next up, self driving car?
spankasmurf

Post by spankasmurf »

I'd think that the margins on a self driving fuel efficient vehicle will be much less than the $600 iPhone and, therefore, won't be as great a positive effect on the share price. Frankly, they should partner with Toyota on their Prius and Subaru to install a iControl system, that would probably hit most of their audience and let the automakers eat the cost of the car itself. But, likely, given that Apple's design princes are dead set on "redesigning" ugly cars into something that they believe is beautiful, Apple will spend trying to get this project off the ground. Luckily, they have the cash to burn. Or are we here to just cheer on Apple products rather than talk about shareholder value?
Valuethinker

Post by Valuethinker »

spankasmurf wrote:I'd think that the margins on a self driving fuel efficient vehicle will be much less than the $600 iPhone and, therefore, won't be as great a positive effect on the share price. Frankly, they should partner with Toyota on their Prius and Subaru to install a iControl system, that would probably hit most of their audience and let the automakers eat the cost of the car itself. But, likely, given that Apple's design princes are dead set on "redesigning" ugly cars into something that they believe is beautiful, Apple will spend trying to get this project off the ground. Luckily, they have the cash to burn. Or are we here to just cheer on Apple products rather than talk about shareholder value?
Building a car is an enormously complex business. There are supply chain issues (spare parts, components etc.) as well as servicing, leasing, repair, product recalls etc. Product safety and liability are huge.

None of this is true of consumer electronics, or only to a limited extent. Sales channel to market is also very different. For them to succeed they will have to tap the existing intellectual property and skills of the existing Tier 1 and Tier 2 components manufacturers. It's also a regulatorily intensive industry relative to building smartphones.

I question what Apple and Google think they can do that existing incumbent car firms cannot do. EXCEPT that it's observable with a step change in technology that industry incumbents seldom make the leap in time. So maybe they can disrupt the industry. However many people (Henry Kaiser comes to mind) have tried to disrupt the auto industry, and failed at it. Elon Musk at Tesla is the closest, but his car sales are not even a rounding error on global car sales.

Like Amazon, Apple and Google have much lower costs of capital (due to high share prices and high PE multiples, etc.) than most or all of the industry incumbents. And that is a competitive advantage. But it's hard to see existing car makers "asleep at the wheel" ;-).
Topic Author
airahcaz

Post by airahcaz »

Hypothetically comparing AAPL to MSFT, AAPL is still currently growing, MSFT not as much. Thus MSFT rocketed early on with tremendous growth, but hasn’t had the returns of yesteryear. However it still makes tons of cash and earnings, so what is the reason folks own the stock? For the dividends and stability that the stock will not significantly decline and steadily climb?

I am hypothetically trying to determine if AAPL has to eventually, by definition, become more of a value play (stock protected from tanking cause earnings stable but not growing tremendously), like MSFT? Did I get that right?
Topic Author
airahcaz

Post by airahcaz »

Blow out sales and stock tanks, perplexing!