AAPL

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
angelescrest

Re: AAPL

Post by angelescrest »

airahcaz wrote:Predictions of what happens in an hour?
How you feeling now? Not exactly what you were hoping for. The fact that they are playing sooth your nerves classical piano on the wait tells you everything you need to know.
Topic Author
airahcaz

Post by airahcaz »

boroc7 wrote:
The fact that they are playing sooth your nerves classical piano on the wait tells you everything you need to know.
eh?
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course. (Plagiarized, but worth stealing)
Jfet

Post by Jfet »

boroc7 wrote:
How you feeling now? Not exactly what you were hoping for. The fact that they are playing sooth your nerves classical piano on the wait tells you everything you need to know.
I wouldn't beat him up too much. If you own SPY or any large US index you probably have 2% or 3% of it in Apple yourself. Expect a 0.5% drop in the market tomorrow.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Considering the timing of the original post, the stock still has not "gotten back" to $700.

I am glad I left the evil stock picking days years ago with no desire to ever return.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Jfet

Post by Jfet »

Didn't it take like 12 years for the stock market to get back to the 2000 highs? Apple still has 10 years to go before calling it a dog.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

Remember when Gordon Gekko said "It is a dog with fleas"?

Priceless.
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
angelescrest

Post by angelescrest »

airahcaz wrote:
boroc7 wrote:
The fact that they are playing sooth your nerves classical piano on the wait tells you everything you need to know.
eh?
What were you doing, reading headlines? I thought you'd be listening to the call-in for the earning release with Cook & co. at 5PM.
http://investor.apple.com/
angelescrest

Post by angelescrest »

Jfet wrote:
boroc7 wrote:
I wouldn't beat him up too much. If you own SPY or any large US index you probably have 2% or 3% of it in Apple yourself. Expect a 0.5% drop in the market tomorrow.
Only because he sounded so hopeful and in good spirits, as I actually own a decent stake. I've got some residuals left from years ago (first transaction I ever made in my life). I sold most of it off for the down payment of my home a year and a half ago.

Apple is a great company, but a lot of the momentum and luster carrying it is lost. $1000 is probably not going to happen any time soon. If it does, I'm thinking it also means VTI has also doubled, but what would I know.
Topic Author
airahcaz

Post by airahcaz »

Beat earnings, and up 40+ after hours. Back on the gravy train?
1) Invest you must 2) Time is your friend 3) Impulse is your enemy 4) Basic arithmetic works 5) Stick to simplicity 6) Stay the course. (Plagiarized, but worth stealing)
zaboomafoozarg

Post by zaboomafoozarg »

airahcaz wrote:Beat earnings, and up 40+ after hours. Back on the gravy train?
LOL

I hope so, a couple percent of my US holdings are in AAPL.
BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle »

Doing a 7-for-1 split on Friday as well I believe.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/steveschaef ... investors/
SuperGrafx

Post by SuperGrafx »

BrandonBogle wrote:Doing a 7-for-1 split on Friday as well I believe.

So what's the consensus?
Is it worth splashing out on a few shares after the split goes through?
BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle »

SuperGrafx wrote:
BrandonBogle wrote:Doing a 7-for-1 split on Friday as well I believe.

So what's the consensus?
Is it worth splashing out on a few shares after the split goes through?
The remaining shares I have were bought when APPL was less than $100/share (pre-2014 split, post-2005 split), so no, I won't be selling any shares so I avoid the capital gains taxes. Honestly wish I bought more shares in my pre-Boglehead days and I probably should shave another decade of my work life prior to retirement.
Topic Author
airahcaz

Post by airahcaz »

why is it up today? short covering? start of a long term rally?
chaz

Post by chaz »

airahcaz wrote:why is it up today? short covering? start of a long term rally?
Maybe just fluctuating.
Chaz | | “Money is better than poverty, if only for financial reasons." Woody Allen | | http://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/index.php/Main_Page
Topic Author
airahcaz

Post by airahcaz »

Next stop 700's, especially after split?
bnes

Post by bnes »

Fact is almost everyone owns AAPL. It's a top holding in mutual funds, active or not. Your low cost index fund holds a lot of Apple.
You are probably non-diversified with regard to AAPL stock tanking, even as the most die-hard bogglehead.
letsgobows

Post by letsgobows »

airahcaz wrote:Next stop 700's, especially after split?
if the stock hits $100/sh after the split, I guess u could technically say its in the 700s. ill probably sell the majority of my AAPL holdings after the split and put it index funds. ill keep a few shares for sentimental reasons, but for the most part, im gonna stick w indexing gong forward.
izreel

Post by izreel »

I'm still holding a bunch of AAPL. I've had it since $80 and more throughout the years. I'm not buying anymore but it's one of those holdings I really don't want to let go.
Topic Author
airahcaz

Post by airahcaz »

After split, a little more than 6 points to all time highs
Topic Author
airahcaz

Post by airahcaz »

52 week high
mich_bogle

Post by mich_bogle »

Two months ago AAPL represented about 50% of my portfolio. Now I am converting it to a boglehead portfolio and have sold off 75% of my holdings. It's been a busy month of selling. :)
Topic Author
airahcaz

Post by airahcaz »

mich_bogle wrote:Two months ago AAPL represented about 50% of my portfolio. Now I am converting it to a boglehead portfolio and have sold off 75% of my holdings. It's been a busy month of selling. :)
Cause you started a long time ago, or did you decide to buy a decent chunk in the past few years?
mich_bogle

Post by mich_bogle »

airahcaz wrote:
mich_bogle wrote:Two months ago AAPL represented about 50% of my portfolio. Now I am converting it to a boglehead portfolio and have sold off 75% of my holdings. It's been a busy month of selling. :)
Cause you started a long time ago, or did you decide to buy a decent chunk in the past few years?

I bought $500 worth back in 1992 and never sold any until last month. 700 shares post-split
Bungo

Post by Bungo »

Looks like 3.3% of my US stock allocation is in AAPL. Within VFINX, of course. :)
LTC

Post by LTC »

I applaud you in being able to sell your AAPL stock as you make the conversion. How are you handling that emotionally? I struggle with the emotional part of selling stocks I have owned a long time and have done very well for me. At my age, in order to simplify our investments, I know in my "head" that a 3 or 4 Fund portfolio is the way to go but I find it so hard in my "heart" to execute the plan. I appreciate any insight you might be able to share in terms of how you handled your emotion in making the conversion.

If anyone else has any personal insight on how you did this and would be OK in posting, I'd appreciate reading what you have to say.

Thanks
Topic Author
airahcaz

Post by airahcaz »

LTC wrote:
I applaud you in being able to sell your AAPL stock as you make the conversion. How are you handling that emotionally? I struggle with the emotional part of selling stocks I have owned a long time and have done very well for me. At my age, in order to simplify our investments, I know in my "head" that a 3 or 4 Fund portfolio is the way to go but I find it so hard in my "heart" to execute the plan. I appreciate any insight you might be able to share in terms of how you handled your emotion in making the conversion.

If anyone else has any personal insight on how you did this and would be OK in posting, I'd appreciate reading what you have to say.

Thanks
I've heard a guy sell half and let the rest run and then continue to sell half (of remaining) at some frequency until the original stock is less than 10% of the overall portfolio.

Say AAPL was $100K, sell $50K and left with $50K. Then sell $25K of the $50K and be left with $25K of AAPL and so on.

The problem with this is of course timing and an assumption that the stock will continue to run.

However, for this risk, this gentleman was happy to sell half of his AAPL and convert to index funds, leaving the rest as pretty much a gamble, but also allows him to not have to drastically liquidate all AAPL at once.

I will also say that there are ways to lock in profits using options, or even converting the whole AAPL stock position to cash and an options spread.
BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle »

AAPL is my only stock holding that I have a hard time trimming. All the others I hold are simply held because their capital gains are too high. AAPL is the same as I bought at $87-92/share before the latest split. When it was over $400, I sold half of my holdings to "make back" my money. I sold some more when it first went past $700. The rest I haven't touched, especially now they pay a dividend. Even if I don't think about the capital gains, I still would have a hard time pulling the trigger. Thankfully, even after growing 700%, it is still a small holding in my portfolio and at this point, I think I can just ignore it as part of my "play holdings".
Topic Author
airahcaz

Post by airahcaz »

BrandonBogle wrote:AAPL is my only stock holding that I have a hard time trimming. All the others I hold are simply held because their capital gains are too high. AAPL is the same as I bought at $87-92/share before the latest split. When it was over $400, I sold half of my holdings to "make back" my money. I sold some more when it first went past $700. The rest I haven't touched, especially now they pay a dividend. Even if I don't think about the capital gains, I still would have a hard time pulling the trigger. Thankfully, even after growing 700%, it is still a small holding in my portfolio and at this point, I think I can just ignore it as part of my "play holdings".
Have you looked into covered call options?
mich_bogle

Post by mich_bogle »

LTC wrote:

Thanks

Thank you.
Selling the first chunk was definitely bittersweet, and was a decision I had been mulling over for months. If not for the cap gains I probably would have done it in 2012 or 2013.
However it felt like a totally rational decision. It was a lot of fun watching the stock soar as Apple went from being Scrappy Underdog to Master of the Universe. Now that they are at the top, though, I think they will likely be a decently-performing, blue-chip-like stock, but having one company like that making up the lion's share of my portfolio just wasn't rational.

After I sold that first chunk, it has been easy for me to sell further chunks in dribs and drabs - it helped that I had just moved everything to Ameritrade so I have free commissions for a few weeks. I plan to keep about 5-10% of my portfolio in AAPL for the mid-term.

I have one more chunk of about 100 shares to sell, and I think I am going to try using the covered call options strategy for them, to squeeze a few hundred extra bucks out of a sale I was going to make anyway.
BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle »

airahcaz wrote: Have you looked into covered call options?
I have not. Anything beyond a long-term buy and hold is not permitted by my IPS as "too complicated to care about".
mich_bogle

Post by mich_bogle »

BrandonBogle wrote:
airahcaz wrote: Have you looked into covered call options?
I have not. Anything beyond a long-term buy and hold is not permitted by my IPS as "too complicated to care about".
I've been researching them, and as best I can tell they are kind of a no brainer if you are in my (our?) position, which is a desire to sell a stock anyway.
If AAPL is currently at $95 and I know that I am planning on selling 100 shares when it hits 97, I may be able to make an extra $400-500 just buy selling a covered call option with a $97 strike price.
BrandonBogle

Post by BrandonBogle »

mich_bogle wrote:I've been researching them, and as best I can tell they are kind of a no brainer if you are in my (our?) position, which is a desire to sell a stock anyway.
If AAPL is currently at $95 and I know that I am planning on selling 100 shares when it hits 97, I may be able to make an extra $400-500 just buy selling a covered call option with a $97 strike price.
Perhaps -- I have not read on the intricacies of them. However, I would not seel AAPL even at $200. I have too much in capital gains that I would not sell and pay taxes on them. I almost reach the 28% Fed bracket and I pay 7% NC taxes, so it isn't worth it to me to sell a holding that represents 2% of my portfolio (not counting where AAPL is part of MF holdings).
mich_bogle

Post by mich_bogle »

For others curious about this strategy, I just executed a covered call sale. I was able to get $970 this way. If AAPL goes above $100 anytime in the next year, then I will automatically sell the stock -- which I would have done anyway.

The only downside is that I need to keep holding it if it does not go above $100 during that time, which I am fine with.
ogd

Post by ogd »

mich_bogle wrote:For others curious about this strategy, I just executed a covered call sale. I was able to get $970 this way. If AAPL goes above $100 anytime in the next year, then I will automatically sell the stock -- which I would have done anyway.
mich_bogle wrote:I've been researching them, and as best I can tell they are kind of a no brainer if you are in my (our?) position, which is a desire to sell a stock anyway.
I think you are misunderstanding this somewhat. If AAPL reaches the stock price, you will not automatically sell it at that price, but instead you have to wait for the option buyer or option expiration. Meanwhile, you are sitting on an investment that won't be making you any money. If the entire market moves up with AAPL while you're stuck holding those shares with no upside left, this can be a significant opportunity cost, since you can't yet buy what you were planning to.

The buyer did not pay for the opportunity of buying AAPL at market price if it climbs to $100, they could have had that for free. They paid for the opportunity to get the upside above $100 for little risk. Your transaction was not a no brainer. This is a common misunderstanding.
Topic Author
airahcaz

Post by airahcaz »

ogd wrote:
mich_bogle wrote:For others curious about this strategy, I just executed a covered call sale. I was able to get $970 this way. If AAPL goes above $100 anytime in the next year, then I will automatically sell the stock -- which I would have done anyway.
I think you are misunderstanding this somewhat. If AAPL reaches the stock price, you will not automatically sell it at that price, but instead you have to wait for the option buyer or option expiration. Meanwhile, you are sitting on an investment that won't be making you any money. If the entire market moves up with AAPL while you're stuck holding those shares with no upside left, this can be a significant opportunity cost, since you can't yet buy what you were planning to.

The buyer did not pay for the opportunity of buying AAPL at market price if it climbs to $100, they could have had that for free. They paid for the opportunity to get the upside above $100 for little risk. Your transaction was not a no brainer. This is a common misunderstanding.
As the stock significantly increases beyond $100, the likelihood of being called away is actually very high (one does not need to wait for expiration).

In fact, can execute the transaction themselves, namely by selling the stock and buying the call back!

This is a good purpose of covered calls, when used correctly, as in this case. I see nothing wrong with it. The owner is happy to sell at $100. (really $109.70)
mich_bogle

Post by mich_bogle »

Thanks for the clarifications. I should probably have held off because I realized I did not have 100% understanding of how this transaction works, but I did run it past a friend who works at a brokerage for a sanity check before executing.

In the meantime while I wait for the option to either exercise or expire, I have an extra $970 to put to work in the market.

One other point where I'm confused... if the option gets exercised, is that being done by the exact same individual to whom I sold it, or can it be done by anyone?
airahcaz wrote:
ogd wrote:

As the stock significantly increases beyond $100, the likelihood of being called away is actually very high (one does not need to wait for expiration).

In fact, can execute the transaction themselves, namely by selling the stock and buying the call back!

This is a good purpose of covered calls, when used correctly, as in this case. I see nothing wrong with it. The owner is happy to sell at $100. (really $109.70)
ogd

Post by ogd »

airahcaz wrote:As the stock significantly increases beyond $100, the likelihood of being called away is actually very high (one does not need to wait for expiration).

I agree with the first part, except for the part where you miss out on the "significant appreciation" and your money is stuck for quite a bit beyond $100.

Buying the call back will lose you money since it will have appreciated considerably, more than the stock unless very close to expiration. It's still an option, after all, so worth more than committing to the stock.

The last part I don't agree with. The owner cannot be sure of selling at any particular price. Again, the whole point of that option is the appreciation between $100 and the time of the sale, which the seller misses out on, together with the associated opportunities if the entire market moves up. Remember that the buyer is buying something with their money.
Topic Author
airahcaz

Post by airahcaz »

ogd wrote:
airahcaz wrote:As the stock significantly increases beyond $100, the likelihood of being called away is actually very high (one does not need to wait for expiration).

I agree with the first part, except for the part where you miss out on the "significant appreciation" and your money is stuck for quite a bit beyond $100.

Buying the call back will lose you money since it will have appreciated considerably, more than the stock unless very close to expiration. It's still an option, after all, so worth more than committing to the stock.

The last part I don't agree with. The owner cannot be sure of selling at any particular price. Again, the whole point of that option is the appreciation between $100 and the time of the sale, which the seller misses out on, together with the associated opportunities if the entire market moves up. Remember that the buyer is buying something with their money.
The delta will be very very close, and yes the seller ACCEPTS the fact that there is an opportunity cost and also downside risk, but in the end, by expiration, the stock above $100, they sell for $109.70. Stock below $100, they get the $9.7 TODAY and still hold the underlying, which the seller is perfectly happy to keep holding, as was mentioned.

The trade is fine.
Topic Author
airahcaz

Post by airahcaz »

mich_bogle wrote:Thanks for the clarifications. I should probably have held off because I realized I did not have 100% understanding of how this transaction works, but I did run it past a friend who works at a brokerage for a sanity check before executing.

In the meantime while I wait for the option to either exercise or expire, I have an extra $970 to put to work in the market.

One other point where I'm confused... if the option gets exercised, is that being done by the exact same individual to whom I sold it, or can it be done by anyone?
ANYONE. It can be sold to another person, and then another, and another, right?

You don't need to worry about that at all, that's what brokers are for. :)
ogd

Post by ogd »

airahcaz wrote:The delta will be very very close, and yes the seller ACCEPTS the fact that there is an opportunity cost and also downside risk, but in the end, by expiration, the stock above $100, they sell for $109.70. Stock below $100, they get the $9.7 TODAY and still hold the underlying, which the seller is perfectly happy to keep holding, as was mentioned.

The trade is fine.
It looks relatively reasonable at this price. However, the trade consists of limited upside in exchange for keeping the entire downside of the stock. It should cost a lot, and I'm always concerned that I'm not in a position to tell how much it should cost better than the Wall Street shark that bought the option.

More importantly in this case, I'm concerned that mich_bogle did not quite understand what he was doing, believing that the stock will be called as soon as it hits $100. Not so.
Electron

Post by Electron »

Online option courses are available at no cost that are quite instructive. Highly recommended.

http://www.optionseducation.org/en.html

The catalog shows the available choices such as Options Basics, Covered Calls, and Volatility. After selling a call, I don't think it typically gets exercised as long as premium remains in the call. The call buyer would typically just sell their call position to close it out. One exception might be capturing a dividend.
Enjoying the Outdoors
Topic Author
airahcaz

Post by airahcaz »

ogd wrote:
airahcaz wrote:The delta will be very very close, and yes the seller ACCEPTS the fact that there is an opportunity cost and also downside risk, but in the end, by expiration, the stock above $100, they sell for $109.70. Stock below $100, they get the $9.7 TODAY and still hold the underlying, which the seller is perfectly happy to keep holding, as was mentioned.

The trade is fine.
It looks relatively reasonable at this price. However, the trade consists of limited upside in exchange for keeping the entire downside of the stock. It should cost a lot, and I'm always concerned that I'm not in a position to tell how much it should cost better than the Wall Street shark that bought the option.

More importantly in this case, I'm concerned that mich_bogle did not quite understand what he was doing, believing that the stock will be called as soon as it hits $100. Not so.
Again, for mich, or anyone, willing to hold the stock long term, regardless if it goes down, perhaps rather significantly, or not, and also willing to sell it at $100 if they are 'called' away, a covered call is the exact trade for this, whilst taking in a decent premium of $9.7 per contract, or $970.
minesweep
Location: 27,000 light years from the Galactic Center of the Milky Way Galaxy (the suburbs)

Post by minesweep »

mich_bogle wrote:
airahcaz wrote:

I bought $500 worth back in 1992 and never sold any until last month. 700 shares post-split
Over the past month the price range of AAPL was between $90-$95/share. At an average $92.50/share, 525 shares was worth $48,562. 175 shares at $95.22 (7/11/14 close) is $16,663. Over 22 years that $500 investment grew to approx. $65,000. :moneybag :sharebeer

Mike
Time is your friend; impulse is your enemy - John Bogle | Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others, it's cheaper! - John Bogle
mich_bogle

Post by mich_bogle »

minesweep wrote:
mich_bogle wrote:

Over the past month the price range of AAPL was between $90-$95/share. At an average $92.50/share, 525 shares was worth $48,562. 175 shares at $95.22 (7/11/14 close) is $16,663. Over 22 years that $500 investment grew to approx. $65,000. :moneybag :sharebeer

Mike

Yep! :sharebeer
Little did I know that the wisest monetary decision on my life would be made when I was 11 years old (the story goes that I asked my parents for it because I was such a little Apple fan boy at the time)
minesweep
Location: 27,000 light years from the Galactic Center of the Milky Way Galaxy (the suburbs)

Post by minesweep »

mich_bogle wrote:
minesweep wrote:
mich_bogle wrote:

Mike

Yep! :sharebeer
Little did I know that the wisest monetary decision on my life would be made when I was 11 years old (the story goes that I asked my parents for it because I was such a little Apple fan boy at the time)
When I was 11 years old the only stock that interested me was on the shelves of our food pantry.

Mike
Time is your friend; impulse is your enemy - John Bogle | Learn every day, but especially from the experiences of others, it's cheaper! - John Bogle
ogd

Post by ogd »

airahcaz wrote:Again, for mich, or anyone, willing to hold the stock long term, regardless if it goes down, perhaps rather significantly, or not, and also willing to sell it at $100 if they are 'called' away, a covered call is the exact trade for this, whilst taking in a decent premium of $9.7 per contract, or $970.
The way you phrased this only perpetuates the misconception that I was talking about. The right way to phrase it is "be willing to sit on a risky asset with zero rewards for months after the stock passes $100". The period between that milestone and you getting to use the money is the entire value of the option. Ignore it and the option looks like free money at any price. Which it isn't.
Electron

Post by Electron »

One key decision in selling the covered call is the expiration date. One could sell a call expiring next week or as late as January 2016. The difference in premium will be significant. The strike price is the other key factor.

It is easy to regret selling a covered call in a bull market or anytime the stock price moves up. In fact, if the stock moves up right after selling the call you may wish you had done nothing. Note also that short term capital gains may be realized if the option expires worthless. Lastly, there is the opportunity to buy the call back at a loss should the stock move up significantly. That could be advantageous in certain cases.
Enjoying the Outdoors
Topic Author
airahcaz

Post by airahcaz »

ogd wrote:
airahcaz wrote:Again, for mich, or anyone, willing to hold the stock long term, regardless if it goes down, perhaps rather significantly, or not, and also willing to sell it at $100 if they are 'called' away, a covered call is the exact trade for this, whilst taking in a decent premium of $9.7 per contract, or $970.
The way you phrased this only perpetuates the misconception that I was talking about. The right way to phrase it is "be willing to sit on a risky asset with zero rewards for months after the stock passes $100". The period between that milestone and you getting to use the money is the entire value of the option. Ignore it and the option looks like free money at any price. Which it isn't.
Do you do many covered calls? I trade options leaps spreads, and the risky asset is owning the stock. Period. The stock holder wishes to hold the stock no matter what happens. Period. The stock owner wishes to take in some premium and be forced to sell if the stock exceeds 100.

What you're arguing is that the stock is a risky asset. What you're not doing is providing any advantages to covered call writing, as if it should never be done, nor are you providing any alternatives.

Not sure how that's being helpful, as sophisticated an options trader as I am, I'm always willing to learn, so do tell.
ogd

Post by ogd »

Yes, I too meant the stock is the risky asset. The problem is, once the stock hits the strike price you are left with a risky asset with no reward. When I sit on risky assets, I demand to be paid.

And you ado get paid, no question about it. The advantage of the covered call is the $9.70. The question is, is it enough. And that's a tough one. When you put it like you did, it looks like any price would be "enough" because the seller would have sold at $100 anyway. But with the option, they don't get to sell as soon as the stock reaches that price and that's the entire point of the option and its valuation.