Thank you Bogleheads!

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
DTSC

Thank you Bogleheads!

Post by DTSC » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:19 am

With this month's paycheck, my family crossed a major numerical threshold - something which we can't quite talk about with friends and family. I do want to thank all the Bogleheads who gave me great advice about low-cost investing and helped me completely re-do my asset allocation and investment choices. Finding Bogleheads.org is, by far, the best thing to happen to me financially. Double thanks to Alex and Larry for keeping the site up and running!

SnapDuck

Re: Thank you Bogleheads!

Post by SnapDuck » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:23 am

Congratulations on your financial achievement!

TomatoTomahto

Post by TomatoTomahto » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:34 am

Crossing those numerical boundaries, while somewhat arbitrary, still feel great. You are wise to avoid discussing them with friends and family. The common view is that you know who your friends are when you're down and out; maybe, but you Really know when you're on an upswing. Better to think they're true friends and not test them unnecessarily.

Ps. I don't know which numerical boundaries you're referring to, but I've crossed a couple of my own a few times, coming from both directions :D . I'm happy to say that I'm north of the border now.

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:52 am

DTSC wrote:With this month's paycheck, my family crossed a major numerical threshold - something which we can't quite talk about with friends and family. I do want to thank all the Bogleheads who gave me great advice about low-cost investing and helped me completely re-do my asset allocation and investment choices. Finding Bogleheads.org is, by far, the best thing to happen to me financially. Double thanks to Alex and Larry for keeping the site up and running!

Congratulations on your achievement!

It's sad when one can not share their successes, but money is a taboo topic for the many obvious reasons.
I can identify, know that you are not alone in that.
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

mptfan

Post by mptfan » Mon Jul 30, 2012 10:57 am

My favorite numerical milestone is moving from one comma to two commas. I'm not saying I am there yet, but it's a nice goal. :D

Grt2bOutdoors

Post by Grt2bOutdoors » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:05 am

mptfan wrote:My favorite numerical milestone is moving from one comma to two commas. I'm not saying I am there yet, but it's a nice goal. :D
You do know, moving from two commas to three would require you to reach 1 Billion, right? Don't despair though, when you reach two commas you will be in rare company - except on this board, of course. :wink:
"One should invest based on their need, ability and willingness to take risk - Larry Swedroe" Asking Portfolio Questions

DTSC

Post by DTSC » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:18 am

Claude wrote: Ps. I don't know which numerical boundaries you're referring to, but I've crossed a couple of my own a few times, coming from both directions :D . I'm happy to say that I'm north of the border now.
Yeah, you are right - I'm still so much on the edge that if the market drops a couple of points, I'm under again!

Mel Lindauer

Post by Mel Lindauer » Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:20 am

DTSC wrote:
Claude wrote: Ps. I don't know which numerical boundaries you're referring to, but I've crossed a couple of my own a few times, coming from both directions :D . I'm happy to say that I'm north of the border now.
Yeah, you are right - I'm still so much on the edge that if the market drops a couple of points, I'm under again!
There will be some downturns over your lifetime, so simply stick with what originally got you to the milestone and you'll be fine.
Best Regards - Mel | | Semper Fi

jlj

Post by jlj » Mon Jul 30, 2012 1:10 pm

Smile on my face from Claude's good wordsmithing about crossing the boundaries from both directions......

NAVigator

Post by NAVigator » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:58 pm

DTSC wrote:Yeah, you are right - I'm still so much on the edge that if the market drops a couple of points, I'm under again!
But crossing that threshold over and over allows you to feel the exhilaration of reaching your goal repeatedly. :wink:

Congratulations!
Jerry
"I was born with nothing and I have most of it left."

freddie74

Post by freddie74 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:19 am

Congrats a lot! Reading a post like yours makes me (as a forum newbie here) feel good about coming here!