I thought I knew what I was doing

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
animalsilhoutte

I thought I knew what I was doing

Post by animalsilhoutte »

Filing Status: single
Tax Rate: 24% Federal, 9.3% State
State: CA
income: 120k (2021)

61K in 403b
20% VBTLX
16% VTIAX
64% VTSAX
rebalances each quarter

Savings
95.5k in Ally, but...
transferred 80k to Vanguard market fund today
now = 15.5k

2.6k in monthly expenses
1.2k for monthly spending
anything left over goes to savings

I own my car.
I rent in Orange County. Live w/ gf.

Was talking to a buddy, and decided to put 80k into market from saving (Ally). Thinking about putting remaining 15.5k in Ally to Credit Union because interest in so low and transactions take too long.

Going to put the 80k into same 3-fund as 403b, then withdraw when need cash. This made me think, "Why not put my 403b into market fund so it's larger since I'll use same 3-fund breakdown." Something is making me nervous.

Goal:
Don't mess up.

Please advise. Thank you.
tibbitts

Re: I thought I knew what I was doing

Post by tibbitts »

I don't understand what you're asking, or have any idea what this means:
put my 403b into market fund so it's larger
qwertyjazz

Post by qwertyjazz »

+1 not exactly sure what you did
G.E. Box "All models are wrong, but some are useful."
retired@50

Post by retired@50 »

animalsilhoutte wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:07 pm
Goal:
Don't mess up.

I'd suggest you keep all the bonds inside the 403b account (assuming it's tax-deferred). For the money that came from Ally, you should probably only hold VTSAX and VTIAX (assuming this is a taxable account).

To keep things in balance here is an example calculation.
You appear to want 20% in bonds.
You have $80k + $61k so that's $141k invested, which means you need 141 * .2 = $28,200 in bonds in the 403b. The rest can be divided between international and US stock index funds.

Any questions?

Regards,
This is one person's opinion. Nothing more.
chassis

Post by chassis »

animalsilhoutte wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:07 pm Filing Status: single

61K in 403b
20% VBTLX
16% VTIAX
64% VTSAX
rebalances each quarter

Savings
95.5k in Ally, but...
now = 15.5k

2.6k in monthly expenses

I own my car.

Was talking to a buddy, and decided to put 80k into market from saving (Ally). Thinking about putting remaining 15.5k in Ally to Credit Union because interest in so low and transactions take too long.

Going to put the 80k into same 3-fund as 403b, then withdraw when need cash. This made me think, "Why not put my 403b into market fund so it's larger since I'll use same 3-fund breakdown." Something is making me nervous.

Goal:
Don't mess up.

Don't invest in bonds at your age and in this market, and also avoid target date funds. Invest in large cap growth stocks, etfs or mutual funds, whichever is most comfortable for you. That's a suggestion to achieve your goal.
HomeStretch

Post by HomeStretch »

Do you mean you are putting the $80k into a Taxable account?

If so, consider putting $12k ($6k for 2020 and $6k for 2021) into a Roth IRA. Roth accounts grow tax free.
tashnewbie

Post by tashnewbie »

HomeStretch wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:27 pm Do you mean you are putting the $80k into a Taxable account?

If so, consider putting $12k ($6k for 2020 and $6k for 2021) into a Roth IRA. Roth accounts grow tax free.
+1. I’d recommend reading the Getting Started wiki page and taking time to make sure you know what you’re doing before you just haphazardly make changes. Ask more questions here as you learn more. Good luck!
Topic Author
animalsilhoutte

animalsilhoutte wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:07 pm put my 403b into market fund so it's larger
Transfer/rollover what's in my 403b account to the brokerage account that I put 80k into in earlier today.

Is a "taxable account" the same as a (Vanguard) brokerage account? My 403b is with Vanguard; I figured I'd open a "Personal Investment" account with Vanguard as I've been pleased with their funds.

Pardon the lack of clarity. Thank you for all of the input. I appreciate it.
ivgrivchuck

Post by ivgrivchuck »

animalsilhoutte wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:07 pm Please advise. Thank you.
What is your long term plan? What is your target asset allocation? How is it going to change over the time?

You need a plan.
37% VTI | 37% VXUS | 13% I-bonds | 13% EE-bonds
retired@50

Post by retired@50 »

animalsilhoutte wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:01 am
animalsilhoutte wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:07 pm put my 403b into market fund so it's larger
Transfer/rollover what's in my 403b account to the brokerage account that I put 80k into in earlier today.

Is a "taxable account" the same as a (Vanguard) brokerage account? My 403b is with Vanguard; I figured I'd open a "Personal Investment" account with Vanguard as I've been pleased with their funds.

Pardon the lack of clarity. Thank you for all of the input. I appreciate it.
Generally, you don't combine a 403b and a taxable account. They have different treatment (rules / regulations) from a tax perspective. A 403b is considered a retirement account and has withdrawal rules that don't exist for a taxable account.

See links:
https://www.investopedia.com/terms/1/403bplan.asp

https://www.investopedia.com/articles/s ... esting.asp

Regards,
This is one person's opinion. Nothing more.
Outer Marker

Post by Outer Marker »

chassis wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:07 pm Don't invest in bonds at your age and in this market, and also avoid target date funds. Invest in large cap growth stocks, etfs or mutual funds, whichever is most comfortable for you. That's a suggestion to achieve your goal.
Warren Buffet (90/10) and economist Benjamin Grahm (75/25) disagree with this suggestion - and recommend that all portfolios include a minimum allocation to bonds. I agree with them.
Topic Author
animalsilhoutte

Thank you, everyone, for your information. I feel ten-times better.
climber2020

Post by climber2020 »

chassis wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:07 pm Don't invest in bonds at your age and in this market, and also avoid target date funds. Invest in large cap growth stocks, etfs or mutual funds, whichever is most comfortable for you. That's a suggestion to achieve your goal.
This advice is not appropriate for every person regardless of age. One of the worst things an investor can do is panic sell at the bottom of a crash because he overestimated his risk tolerance. Better to be 80/20 or 60/40 and hold than 100/0 and act a fool when things aren't going well. I witnessed this firsthand with one of my best friends in March 2020, and it's truly unfortunate.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

animalsilhoutte wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:07 pm Filing Status: single

61K in 403b
20% VBTLX
16% VTIAX
64% VTSAX
rebalances each quarter

Savings
95.5k in Ally, but...
now = 15.5k

2.6k in monthly expenses

I own my car.

Goal:
Don't mess up.

You are going in the right direction but I can tell you have a lot to learn. We all do as it is a journey rather then a destination!

I would STRONGLY recommend buying any of John Bogle’s books and the three Bogleheads books. I have all on my shelf and refer to them when questions arise.

You will find John Bogle “The Little Book of Common Sense Investing” an excellent place to start.

Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
Topic Author
animalsilhoutte

abuss368 wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:16 pm You are going in the right direction but I can tell you have a lot to learn. We all do as it is a journey rather then a destination!

I would STRONGLY recommend buying any of John Bogle’s books and the three Bogleheads books. I have all on my shelf and refer to them when questions arise.

You will find John Bogle “The Little Book of Common Sense Investing” an excellent place to start.

Tony
Thank you, Tony. I'm ready for the journey, brother.
abuss368
Location: Where the water is warm, the drinks are cold, and I don't know the names of the players!

Post by abuss368 »

animalsilhoutte wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:28 pm
abuss368 wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:16 pm You are going in the right direction but I can tell you have a lot to learn. We all do as it is a journey rather then a destination!

Tony
Thank you, Tony. I'm ready for the journey, brother.
Go to Amazon right now through the link on the Bogleheads main page and order some books! Don’t put it off! You will grow and be better for it!

Tony
John C. Bogle: “Simplicity is the master key to financial success."
chassis

Post by chassis »

climber2020 wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:10 pm
This advice is not appropriate for every person regardless of age. One of the worst things an investor can do is panic sell at the bottom of a crash because he overestimated his risk tolerance. Better to be 80/20 or 60/40 and hold than 100/0 and act a fool when things aren't going well. I witnessed this firsthand with one of my best friends in March 2020, and it's truly unfortunate.
@climber2020 Who is suggesting selling low and buying high? Of course all advice is not appropriate for all people regardless of age. An 80 year old should not be 100% equities.

Having said that, I plan and hope to be fairly heavy in equities when I am 80, if I am blessed to get there. You may have a different risk appetite. Did you disclose or describe your risk appetite in the original post?
climber2020

Post by climber2020 »

chassis wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:47 pm @climber2020 Who is suggesting selling low and buying high? Of course all advice is not appropriate for all people regardless of age. An 80 year old should not be 100% equities.

Having said that, I plan and hope to be fairly heavy in equities when I am 80, if I am blessed to get there. You may have a different risk appetite. Did you disclose or describe your risk appetite in the original post?
Some people in their late 30s, like the OP, cannot tolerate the volatility of 100% stocks. Re-reading the original post, I'm unable to deduce the OP's risk tolerance. Until that is better known, an aggressive 100/0 asset allocation may not be the best default choice.
mikejuss

Post by mikejuss »

Fully fund your Roth IRA for 2020 ($6,000) and 2021 ($6,000). (You may need to do a backdoor transaction if your income for either year exceeds the federal limit.) Invest the other $68,000 in a brokerage account according to the asset allocation and fund selection in your 403(b). What you've posted is reasonable for someone your age.

Why are you liquidating your 403(b)? I believe that will trigger a large tax event for you. Just leave it where it is (and keep adding to it).

Good call overall: you don't need that much money in your savings account, earning almost no interest. View this move as a retirement investment that you won't touch until you're 65 years of age. That's the only way to make index funds work for you (ie, by letting them ride for a long time).
chassis

Post by chassis »

climber2020 wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 1:25 pm
chassis wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:47 pm @climber2020 Who is suggesting selling low and buying high? Of course all advice is not appropriate for all people regardless of age. An 80 year old should not be 100% equities.

Some people in their late 30s, like the OP, cannot tolerate the volatility of 100% stocks. Re-reading the original post, I'm unable to deduce the OP's risk tolerance. Until that is better known, an aggressive 100/0 asset allocation may not be the best default choice.
Naturally. No disagreement. Risk appetite is an important piece of information to disclose. It appears that isn’t the case at this time.

Until then - 100% US large cap growth equities.
tashnewbie

Post by tashnewbie »

chassis wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:26 pm

Naturally. No disagreement. Risk appetite is an important piece of information to disclose. It appears that isn’t the case at this time.

I've seen you recommend US large cap growth stocks to people in several threads. I'm genuinely curious why you make this recommendation, instead of just recommending a US large blend stock fund/ETF. I know "growth" stocks have done well over the past decade, but they don't always beat value stocks.
chassis

Post by chassis »

@tashnewbie Yes, agree. No one has said growth always beats value. Did you read that anywhere?

US large cap growth stocks perform. Period. You have to tolerate volatility. That’s where most people hesitate.

Do you believe in the idea that growth and value can be the same thing?

We are in a stage of investing where the canned advice from the 1980s and 1990s needs to be mostly thrown out or at minimum seriously updated. Market structure has changed (evolved or progressed) and the world is in a new place. It’s in a new place every day.

And nothing is new under the sun. Some chestnuts from decades past are still helpful to retail investors. Buy low and sell high is one of them.

There is value in growth. Value can be found in growth.

Ignore 95% of what large investment firms publish because it’s written for their best interest and not yours. I am speaking as someone confident in DIY investing based on my education and career experience. I realize not everyone has confidence investing.
tashnewbie

Post by tashnewbie »

chassis wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:40 pm @tashnewbie Yes, agree. No one has said growth always beats value. Did you read that anywhere?

US large cap growth stocks perform. Period. You have to tolerate volatility. That’s where most people hesitate.

We are in a stage of investing where the canned advice from the 1980s and 1990s needs to be mostly thrown out or at minimum seriously updated. Market structure has changed (evolved or progressed) and the world is in a new place. It’s in a new place every day.

And nothing is new under the sun. Some chestnuts from decades past are still helpful to retail investors. Buy low and sell high is one of them.

Ignore 95% of what large investment firms publish because it’s written for their best interest and not yours. I am speaking as someone confident in DIY investing based on my education and career experience. I realize not everyone has confidence investing.
I didn't read that anyone or you specifically said growth always beats value. I asked why you have consistently recently recommended people invest in large growth, without any caveat or further explanation, given the fact that historically value sometimes beats growth.

And yes, the categorization of stocks as growth or value is somewhat subjective and the same stock can be one or the other, depending on the time.

I don't know enough to say whether growth or value will do better moving forward. I opt to invest in the total stock market (or S&P 500 if that's all that's available in my 401k) as a result.
chassis

Post by chassis »

tashnewbie wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:16 pm
chassis wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:40 pm @tashnewbie Yes, agree. No one has said growth always beats value. Did you read that anywhere?

I didn't read that anyone or you specifically said growth always beats value. I asked why you have consistently recently recommended people invest in large growth, without any caveat or further explanation, given the fact that historically value sometimes beats growth.

And yes, the categorization of stocks as growth or value is somewhat subjective and the same stock can be one or the other, depending on the time.

I don't know enough to say whether growth or value will do better moving forward. I opt to invest in the total stock market (or S&P 500 if that's all that's available in my 401k) as a result.
@tashnewbie I addressed your implied question directly.

How old are you, or if you prefer, what stage of investing are you in? Capital growth and accumulation, or preservation and decumulation?
climber2020

Post by climber2020 »

tashnewbie wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:32 pm
chassis wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:26 pm

I've seen you recommend US large cap growth stocks to people in several threads. I'm genuinely curious why you make this recommendation, instead of just recommending a US large blend stock fund/ETF. I know "growth" stocks have done well over the past decade, but they don't always beat value stocks.
Since the start of this thread, total stock has outperformed large growth by 6%. Very short term of course, and it will be interesting to see how they compare going forward.
Luckywon

Post by Luckywon »

animalsilhoutte wrote: Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:01 am
This sounds a bit alarming. :shock: I'm doubting that you actually did this as wouldn't this be a early withdrawal (unless you are disabled?), subject to federal and possibly state tax, and penalties, and generally not easy to do while still working?
junior

Post by junior »

First you need to make sure you didn't invoke some sort of tax law penalty, and if you did you should probably ask here if it can be undone (I have no idea.)

The second thing you need to do is read two or three books on the Boglehead recommended reading list:

https://www.bogleheads.org/wiki/Books:_ ... nd_reviews
Sahara

Post by Sahara »

retired@50 wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:18 pm
animalsilhoutte wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 9:07 pm
Goal:
Don't mess up.

I'd suggest you keep all the bonds inside the 403b account (assuming it's tax-deferred). For the money that came from Ally, you should probably only hold VTSAX and VTIAX (assuming this is a taxable account).

To keep things in balance here is an example calculation.
You appear to want 20% in bonds.
You have $80k + $61k so that's $141k invested, which means you need 141 * .2 = $28,200 in bonds in the 403b. The rest can be divided between international and US stock index funds.

Any questions?

Regards,
I second this recommendation. If the 403b is through your current employer you are not allowed to move it anywhere. You'll want to make sure the 403b is a strict mutual fund plan with low fees. If you provide the name we can dig a little deeper into that issue. It sounds like you have a decent 403b as you are using index funds.

I would also suggest planning out your recurring contributions.

And I strongly concur with the others who recommend doing more reading and learning as you get started on this journey.

Will you be eligible for a pension?
TropikThunder

Post by TropikThunder »

chassis wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:40 pm US large cap growth stocks perform.
HAVE performed, no guarantee they will in the future. You say "no one has said growth always beats value" but you're implying that Growth will continue to outperform so one should only hold Growth. That's me addressing your implied statement.
chassis wrote: Mon Feb 01, 2021 2:40 pm Do you believe in the idea that growth and value can be the same thing?
II am speaking as someone confident in DIY investing based on my education and career experience. I realize not everyone has confidence investing.
someone confident in DIY investing based on my education and career experience. I realize not everyone has confidence investing.
Um growth and value have specific meanings in investing, maybe you should take a look at the Wiki. While they may be "valuable" in the general sense, "large cap growth funds" by definition do not include "value stocks". Based on your education and career experience I thought you would know that.
Monsterflockster

Post by Monsterflockster »

OP,

Are you maxing out 403b and Roth? Is a 457b available?

I’d start there. Use the 80k to fill any gaps in income.