Treasury Direct Sole Prop Registration for Sav Bond Maximizing

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
Topic Author
Makkers

Treasury Direct Sole Prop Registration for Sav Bond Maximizing

Post by Makkers »

I've seen a few posts about maximizing EE/I-bond purchases through Treasury Direct (TD) by using a combination of tax-refunds (+5K i-bonds) and various entity accounts, particularly sole-proprietorships (+10k/10k, extremely easy to set up) and revocable living trusts (+10k/10k, not as easy to set up).

The TD entity accounts faq at https://www.treasurydirect.gov/indiv/he ... rietorship provides the following sole prop registration example when a DBA business name is used:
"John Doe DBA Doe Plumbing Supplies." The biz EIN would be used.

My question is how people typically register a sole prop account on TD *if* they do not have a separate DBA business name and use their legal name. Should the sole prop entity account registration be "Individual's Legal Name" or would it be "Individual's Legal Name DBA Individual's Legal Name"?

I posed this question to the TD staff by email a few days ago and have not heard back. The staff member I spoke with over the phone 10 minutes ago seemed unsure and suggested "Individual's Legal Name DBA Individual's Legal Name" but her uncertainty leads me to request additional opinions both here and in the coming days with other TD staff.

If/when I get a definitive email response I'll post the reply here. But curious how others have approached this.

Thank you.
Topic Author
Makkers

Re: Treasury Direct Sole Prop Registration for Sav Bond Maximizing

Post by Makkers »

Answering my own question in case it is of use to others.

TD replied by email and recommended that a sole prop WITHOUT a separate DBA should register an entity account as follows:

"Individual's Legal Name DBA Individual's Legal Name."