Tax time: Where to find tax exempt interest dividends by state?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
yurtdweller

Tax time: Where to find tax exempt interest dividends by state?

Post by yurtdweller » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:23 pm

Hey there,

New boglehead, and new to taking the reigns on my own personal finances.

I've been investing with Wealthfront for the past several years while I "figure out" how this stuff all works. I've been letting the roboadvisor do it's thing and do TLFs for me, and I haven't really had to deal with it much. I've also been paying for professional tax prep for the last couple years as well, so I didn't know how complex things were starting to get since the days of my one W2, and a simple bank account. I tried using TurboTax this year and it told me I owed $9,000 (which I absolutely know is wrong), and since I couldn't see the forms or anything with TurboTax to verify where the mistake is at, I decided to switch to FreeTaxUSA (which I see some forum members are using).

As I fill out the forms for FreeTaxUSA, nothing is imported. So I am manually entering the things that Wealthfront has done on my behalf. I am looking to find the data for my state taxes, and Wealthfront has been trading in iShares muni bond ETFs, and SPDR Nuveen Bloomberg Barclays Municipal Bond ETF on my behalf, and I see that the tax-exempt dividends need to be multiplied by some percentage number that they publish per state. I can't seem to figure out where to get this data from! Some googling helped me find the one for iShares here -- https://www.ishares.com/us/literature/t ... 364639.pdf but for the life of me I can't find this same data for the SPDR ETF. Is there a standard place this information is published, instead of needing to find the buried part of these websites that contain this info?

Thanks for your help!

FiveK

Re: Tax time: Where to find tax exempt interest dividends by state?

Post by FiveK » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:39 pm

Did you get a "consolidated 1099" (or words to that effect - typically includes 1099-INT, 1099-DIV, 1099-B) from Wealthfront? Often there will be a listing of the percentages by state for exempt interest in the funds that generated income for you. When present, this is usually at the end of the document, in the "details not reported to the IRS" section.

yurtdweller

Post by yurtdweller » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:43 pm

Thanks for the reply. I did, but last year they switched mid-year from Apex Clearinghouse to their own, so I have two 1099s from them. The one from Apex is a bear to deal with, and does not include that information :shock:

ofckrupke

Post by ofckrupke » Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:54 pm

yurtdweller wrote:
Mon Apr 16, 2018 2:23 pm
Is there a standard place this information is published, instead of needing to find the buried part of these websites that contain this info?
There are links to most-recent-year tax info XLS and XLSX files at the SPDR page for all of their ETFs, found under the "Related Documents" tab at each ETFs' product page.
Here's a direct shot to the XLS file for 2017.

Line 133 is for TFI...for 2017, anyway.

I found directions to the file at Betterment's site following a google search, btw.

yurtdweller

Post by yurtdweller » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:07 pm

Thanks, ofckrupke! I'll try to be a better Googler next time! :D