Which mutual fund paper records do you keep?

Have a question about your personal investments? No matter how simple or complex, you can ask it here.
goshenBogle

Which mutual fund paper records do you keep?

Postby goshenBogle » Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:33 am

Some of our mutual funds we have had for over 20 years. I keep the end of year statement for each. This is lot of paper. I also record in a spreadsheet at the end of year dividends, interest, capital gains, beginning and end of year shares & share price. If I record the summary data in a spreadsheet, is it necessary that I keep the end of year paper record? Would these paper records serve some purpose in the future and I should hold on to them?
Retired and loving it!!!!

runner3081

Re: Which mutual fund paper records do you keep?

Postby runner3081 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:00 am

Wow, seems like a lot of work.

I keep zero paperwork on mutual funds or ETF's.

Rupert

Postby Rupert » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:06 am

I keep most my recent quarterly reports just in case the mutual fund company suffers some catastrophic computer problem. Not likely, I know, but also not impossible, especially given recent ransomware attacks, etc. I want proof of what I own and what they owe me.

BolderBoy

Postby BolderBoy » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:16 am

None. Everything digital here. Even the mandatorily sent, solo 401k statements are merely shredded when they arrive.
“Where you stand, depends on where you sit” - Rufus Miles | "Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities"

Rupert

Postby Rupert » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:17 am

BolderBoy wrote:None. Everything digital here. Even the mandatorily sent, solo 401k statements are merely shredded when they arrive.

Oh no, I don't keep the paper. I don't even get the statements on paper. I download .pdf copies, which I think is prudent. OP, I can't imagine why you would need stuff from 20 years ago. Each year-end statement would replace the previous year's year-end statement, wouldn't it (in terms in what you own, etc.)? Why not just keep the most recent one or two?

Jack FFR1846

Postby Jack FFR1846 » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:19 am

Paper statements are still available? I have none.
Bogle: Smart Beta is stupid

JDCarpenter

Postby JDCarpenter » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:28 am

goshenBogle wrote:Some of our mutual funds we have had for over 20 years. I keep the end of year statement for each. This is lot of paper. I also record in a spreadsheet at the end of year dividends, interest, capital gains, beginning and end of year shares & share price. If I record the summary data in a spreadsheet, is it necessary that I keep the end of year paper record? Would these paper records serve some purpose in the future and I should hold on to them?

20 years is a key figure--if held in "regular" non-IRA accounts. If that is the type of account, do you have easy access to online/digital data showing your basis for tax purposes? If so, no need for the paper. If not, I'd keep sufficient paper to demonstrate basis for when I eventually sell shares. (Actually, I'd scan the paper and keep only a pdf with usual off-site backups....)
Edit Signature

BolderBoy

Postby BolderBoy » Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:30 am

Jack FFR1846 wrote:Paper statements are still available? I have none.

For some things such as VG's solo 401k, they are mandated by government regulations. I've begged VG to quit sending them (since they also provide the on-line, .pdf version) but they tell me they are required to mail them out quarterly.
“Where you stand, depends on where you sit” - Rufus Miles | "Never underestimate one's capacity to overestimate one's abilities"

Return to “Investing - Help with Personal Investments”